Applying For Nonimm "o-a", But Wife Not Accompanying

I am applying for a Non Imm O-A long stay retirement visa to the Thai Embassy in Wash, DC. My wife will not be accompanying me initially, but will join me in Aug-Sept for less than 30 days and in Feb for a similar period of time--both entries could be accomplished with the airport-stamped 30 day visa. However, in 2010, she will accompany during my actual travel and will remain in Thailand for around 9 months of the year.

My question is: should I initially apply for her under the Non Imm O-A as an accompanying spouse or wait a year before doing so? Your advice is appreciated.

1. As you mention your travel suspect you should apply for a multi entry non immigrant OA visa - that way any entry during the one year of validity gets you a new one year permitted to stay entry. Almost 2 years before you need to extend your stay if you time it right.

2. See no reason for wife to obtain visa now. As long as she has return tickets within 30 days she can make the visits without a problem.

3. When she wants to stay longer she can get a single entry non immigrant O visa on the basis of your OA visa stay and then extend her stay as your wife.

You can wait until she is going to stay here longer.

Are you getting a multiple or single entry? A multiple entry is the best choice.

There are also conulates that you can apply at that will do your visa quicker than DC.

When she get ready she will just need to get a single entry non-o in the states and then get an extension at immigration here.

Thanks for the quick turn-around. I'll be applying for a multiple-entry, and she will either do the 30-day stamp at the airport or a 60-day tourist visa, should she stay that long. Hmm. Should she decide to stay for more than 30 days, is it better for her to do the 60-day tourist visa or non-imm? Predicting what she will do is not my strongest ability after only 30+ years of marriage.