Bangkok subway evacuated after power failure

Ijustwannateach

Subway temporary out of service due to power supply problem

BANGKOK, Feb 5 (TNA) - Bangkok's subway system is temporary out of service today due to a short of power supply.

The city's underground train service has been suspended since minutes before midday today when the subway system encoutered the problem, caused by an explosion of a main power transformer, according to local journalists.

The subway system is run by electricity supplied by the Metropolitan Electricity Authority of Thailand (MEA).

The power supply is originally provided by the Electricity Authority of Thailand (EGAT) through the main transformer, Mr. Prapat Chongsa-nguan, the Governor of the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA), which oversees the subway system, told the journalists.

The short of power supply has affected the subway system's two main power distribution stations in Bangkapi and Ratchada areas, said the MRTA's chief.

However, he noted that the subway's reserved power supply system has helped prevent the blackout of all its stations and buildings, and that all the passengers have been safely evacuated.

Mr. Prapat confirmed that all the subway's technical systems are in good order.

Today's suspension of the city's first subway service took place just less than a week of its reopening on 1 February, following a two-week closure caused by an accident on 17 January when an empty coach crashed into another, leaving more than 100 passengers injured.

Meanwhile, MEA said it was acceleratingly fixing the power transformer and expected the work would be completed this afternoon.

--TNA 2005-02-05

Ok, that makes sense... I was in a building near the station and the lights flickered off for a few seconds; that was probably when the transformer exploded.

Still, what're they going to do? Build a new one every day? Weren't they having problems with one repeatedly exploding near Siam station?

"Steven"

Bangkok subway system evacuated after power failure

BANGKOK: -- The Thai capital's subway was evacuated and shut down on Saturday when a power failure brought all trains to a halt just five days after the system was reopened following an accident, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said.

"The Metropolitan Electricity Authority, which distributes electricity to the subway system, had its power fail on either side of one segment of tunnel so the trains could not run," Shinawatra told reporters.

Prapat Chongsanguan, charged with the running of the Mass Rapid Transit Authority, confirmed all passengers in the trains and on platforms were evacuated safely.

He predicted the system would be operational again later on Saturday.

Thaksin said he had launched an immediate investigation into the incident, which comes less than three weeks after an accident injured about 200 people and prompted a closure and safety review of the six-month-old system.

-- AFP 2005-02-05

Was on the train at the time, we pulled into sukhumvit (I was going to silom) and the stations main lights were off. The doors opened some people got off and the rest of us waited until they announced that we had to get off as well. Got a taxi the rest of the way.

Just got back home however got the subway the whole way no problem. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Subway resumes operation

BANGKOK, Feb 5 (TNA) – Bangkok's subway system resumed its service this afternoon after a two-hour suspension due to a short of power supply.

The city's subway has resumed its operation since 2.00 p.m.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra instructed authorities concerned to find out the cause of the incident.

The authorities concerned, including Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit, Energy Minister Prommin Lertsuridej, and Governors of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA), and the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA), Prapat Chongsa-nguan, jointly held an urgent meeting to find out factors behind the incident and to map out measures to prevent any repetition of such the incident in the future.

Bangkok's underground train service was suspended minutes before midday when it encountered a problem caused by an explosion of a main power transformer.

The short of power supply had affected the subway system's two main power distribution stations in Bangkapi and Ratchada areas, Mr. Prapat earlier told journalists.

He said the subway's reserved power supply system had helped prevented the blackout at all of its stations and buildings.

During the incident, a train was stuck between Hualampong railway station and Sam Yan, but all the passengers were evacuated safely.

Today's incident came after the train reopened its service on 1 February, following a two-week closure caused by an accident on January 17 when an empty coach crashed into another, injuring more than 100 passengers.

--TNA 2005-02-05

These incidents in such short succession are certainly not confidence building, but let's put this one into perspective: Compared to the 2..3 day power outage in the American North-East a few years back this is nothing.

On the other hand I'll stay away from the subway until they have developed a proven track record.

It's no big deal is it. These things happen, nobody was hurt and the problem was fixed straight away. I used the subway fine this afternoon and only realised there had been any interuption from reading this thread. BKK needs the subway - the roads are a joke and getting from A to B in a taxi is a nightmare.

Hey, tomorrow is an election day. I guess, someone might try to blackout some voting booths in Samutprakan area when they are ready for vote counting so there will be a miscount or something. :o Just a thought.

the latest score is

Thailand  2

Germany 0

:o

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Would you elaborate?

Sounds lile a reference to Siemens, the manufactuer. Top notch product, just bugs this time. I was waiting at Asoke stn at 9:50 a.m. (enroute to Hualamphong) when I noted at least 2 trains passed going the other way and none stopped on our side.

The attendant on walkie talkie said it would be delayed about 20 mins. No prob. Got on eventually, just came home and saw this. Oh well, noone hurt, mais bpen rais.

I guess the power supply as well as the staff were not delievered by Siemens.

I guess if Siemens would have delivered the power supply, there would be ample power left over to support a major part of bkk too, not just the subway. But it was demonstrated again, some people are unable to deal with a proper technology :-(

I dont think this will do a lot for public confidence..??!

This is turning out to be a huge white elephant !

I hope the new airport is more run with more efficiency

when that opens ....??

As I would consider an airport operation as infinitely more complicated than a single track subway, the future does not bode well at all for travelers through it.

:o:D

the latest score is

Thailand  2

Germany 0

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Would you elaborate?

probably means the thai's have f_ucked the system twice while the germans have yet to do it !

oh, I see what you mean..... and here I thought it meant that Thailand has recently jailed two Germans. One a pedophile in Pattaya, and the other was the one-legged HIV spreader among teen girls in Chaiyaphum.

You are absolutely right, cobra. Bangkok needs a lot of subway extension, and also Skytrain extensions to places like Rangsit, beyond Mo Chit.

Faced with the price of oil doubling every five years (i.e. US$800 per barrel in today's money by 2025) only efficient use of electric-powered transport will soon make economic sense.

Veering off topic though. Does anybody know of a forum that discusses coolly and rationally (rather than the hysterical Peak Oil brigade's rantings) how things are going to change, now that only one new barrel of reserve is being discovered for every six that are being consumed?

Edited by Martin

my scoring is 2:0 as well

but it's 2 motobike-taxi and 0 public transportation

i furthermore wonder IF those motobike taxi drivers might have secret access to MRT power-units??? past 3 weeks or so I\'ve spent a fortune to use their services (compared to usually paid subway fees), risked my life more than once a day and got faaaar more laundry to do (arriving at my condo totally black-faced)

sounds like I got used to it by now.

impatiently awaiting its next closure :o