Honda Cbr150 Vs Tiger Rs 250

I've been doing a couple of runs to phuket from trang and back the same day, no problem and not exhausted after.. really nice scenery and the roads are nice ( not as nice as north thai ). Not sure about the exact distance but it takes a couple of hours. I think its really up to the personal choice of the bike ( have to add i have never driven a Boxer 250 rs.. but i tried the riding position on the bkk motorshow ) Im still young and dont have any back pains etc.. cruising at 120-130kph in 6th its painless imho.

Need to try the Boxer someday.. but havent seen any here in the neighbourhood..

/peace

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On our first meeting of about six local owners of CBR150 bikes, Crowboy (a big tall heavy farang) told us he broke in his new Repsol CBR150 with a round trip from Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumpur! Carl the Welshman traveled Chiang Mai-BKK and return on his CBR150, two up, and fell asleep on the pillion coming home! We did CNX-Mae Hong Son two-up, and I rode back solo. Used to do visa runs to Burma, returning by 3 pm. The CBR150 can do 500-km days with no strain.

I am sure the CBR150 can do 500km without strain....but it is firstly not 850km nor does it mean that this can be done in a little bit comfort...i can do 500km on a 50cc Puch Maxi or 50 cc monkey bike too...no problem for the bike...just you won't feel yourself afterwards anymore:-) We(dave & me) done last time about 650 km i was comfortable most of the ride but not sure if i was happy with the seat on the ninja which got onto me...i only drove it about 100-150km that day(my guess)

mbox

Hi Dave,

It is true that a 6th gear will be great for the Boxer...and as far as i know it is being worked on. This was also the reason why we opted for the 34 sprocket....it will take a bit to get used to when driving off, but i am unsure if a CBR will be driving off from stoplight faster...well perhaps the first 20 mtrs...but this is not what matter to me really, as i wish to have enough power being delivered to overtake at medium/high speeds of 80-120 km/h which is surely no problem on the boxer.

My point from the post. At speed I'm without doubt that the Boxer will easily blast past the CBR, but in town? Pretty easy to guess which is going to win those stoplight drag races.

The E20 is truly running nice on the boxer and it delivers to my view even more power...so i hope the E85 converrtion which should be available by this year will do the same job.

The Bike from Kano has a better handling due to better tires, i am still on the tubed tires and will get the new radials in same as kano's dimension next week. Windscreen what is on mine is truly too low and i don't think that really makes to problem but it is merely the angle - too straight . Also this should be rectified next week, and i'd say they also working on a better windscreen solution altogether, it was mentioned before to tiger. To be honest, the windshield starts to create problems only by either strong winds or with speeds over 110-120 km/h so if you cruise around town or neighborhood and do short trips on medium speed there is chance that this won't even bother .

I'm sure that you'll really enjoy the wider tyres. The stock ones aren't bad, they're just too narrow. Good luck with your screen; I was hoping to like it but the buffeting made me wish I was on a naked bike. Kano's is definitely better, but with his wider aluminium handlebars the ability to adjust it for angle is something you can't do with your current setup.

The seat on my Boxer is the "new" seat, although not perfect i found it very good and sure no problem going over distance. Kano's seat is a self adjusted to his fit, so whats good for one maybe not so good for another one...

Your seat was good; I didn't try and shuffle around on it to see what different positions were actually comfortable for me...although I did think about leaning off in a corner the thought of making a pretzel out of another forum member's bike isn't something I want on my resume so I played it safe while riding the two of yours' bikes.

A little wider handlebar on Kano's bike does bring better comfort and handling on longer drives and this will also been done on the modifications next week or so....will update on the tiger boxer modifications thread once done.

mbox

Good review Dave.

Why are you still riding on the IRC's since you hate them so much? You can upgrade to some super sticky Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pros for about 8000-9000 Baht. A small investment that will yield you great benefits!

I know, I know. I need to get in touch with Graham and get them sent to the baan. There's just so much to do for that short time I'm home. My Oct-Nov trip will probably be a 3 weeker, so there should be plenty of time then.

I did notice the rear tyre slipping while attacking the corners more aggressively then normal, but I will say that they were really communicative as far as the point that they were at in regards to traction. The front still feels dead though; I don't know if that's still my fat ass overloading the forks in addition to the tyre problem or what.

Ride On!

Tony

Hi Dave,

Nice review.

I indeed changed some details to my needs . i have already more than 20000 km in lesss than 6 months .Today i covered another 857 km in one day without being too tired.

The exact point I've been making about the Boxer! The 'BMW'-ishness (read sports tourer) of it puts it in a category that's hard to compare it to the CBR.

My boxer is a real marathon bike and therefore higher speeds are not needed.

About braking off the line im not sure if the CBR is faster. In BKK i easily go away from the cbr's braking off the line. But one more time , a completely different bike for other bikers.

Next time we meet well settle the discussion. I vote that Kano films it and we'll just have a run off....

The CBR or ninja are very good bikes but not my cup of tea. I cant imagine a 850 km ride on a CBR or a ninja next week im on my way to Laos pity you cant join

On some of time has taken a toll in different areas. My back is still (knock on wood) peachy. My knees on the other hand are the problem (come to think of it, perhaps that's the reason I sit like I do on the bikes...). Another thing that's possible on those two bikes you're talking about is handlebar risers. Extremely easy on the CBR much harder on the Ninja due to setup.

Indeed PB Tiger is improving Honda not they even cant deliver an exhaust pipe for a WAVE how many are there in Thailand ???? im already waiting for 6 weeks to change a 2 year old pipe which is completely rotten .Shame on Honda and the main dealer here in Suphan

HONDA SERVICE ??????

c u next time

Hi Dave,

It is true that a 6th gear will be great for the Boxer...and as far as i know it is being worked on. This was also the reason why we opted for the 34 sprocket....it will take a bit to get used to when driving off, but i am unsure if a CBR will be driving off from stoplight faster...well perhaps the first 20 mtrs...but this is not what matter to me really, as i wish to have enough power being delivered to overtake at medium/high speeds of 80-120 km/h which is surely no problem on the boxer.

My point from the post. At speed I'm without doubt that the Boxer will easily blast past the CBR, but in town? Pretty easy to guess which is going to win those stoplight drag races.

As mentioned our Boxers are having the 34 sprocket and to drive off it maybe a play with the clutch too, until you get used to it. Assuming the first few meters this would be an advantage to the cbr because of our 34 sprocket...20meters later i think the boxer will pass the cbr. But really not important to me.....

The E20 is truly running nice on the boxer and it delivers to my view even more power...so i hope the E85 converrtion which should be available by this year will do the same job.

The Bike from Kano has a better handling due to better tires, i am still on the tubed tires and will get the new radials in same as kano's dimension next week. Windscreen what is on mine is truly too low and i don't think that really makes to problem but it is merely the angle - too straight . Also this should be rectified next week, and i'd say they also working on a better windscreen solution altogether, it was mentioned before to tiger. To be honest, the windshield starts to create problems only by either strong winds or with speeds over 110-120 km/h so if you cruise around town or neighborhood and do short trips on medium speed there is chance that this won't even bother .

I'm sure that you'll really enjoy the wider tyres. The stock ones aren't bad, they're just too narrow. Good luck with your screen; I was hoping to like it but the buffeting made me wish I was on a naked bike. Kano's is definitely better, but with his wider aluminium handlebars the ability to adjust it for angle is something you can't do with your current setup.

I will also get the wider handlebar ( as mentioned at end of post) so i will also be able to adjust, which i look forward too..same as the new tires.

The seat on my Boxer is the "new" seat, although not perfect i found it very good and sure no problem going over distance. Kano's seat is a self adjusted to his fit, so whats good for one maybe not so good for another one...

Your seat was good; I didn't try and shuffle around on it to see what different positions were actually comfortable for me...although I did think about leaning off in a corner the thought of making a pretzel out of another forum member's bike isn't something I want on my resume so I played it safe while riding the two of yours' bikes.

A little wider handlebar on Kano's bike does bring better comfort and handling on longer drives and this will also been done on the modifications next week or so....will update on the tiger boxer modifications thread once done.

mbox

500 km isnt 857 km blondie do you have to wait also 6 weeks for a spare part
I used to do 550 MILE days on a 400 sport Yamaha, when I was only 52 years old. This is a pissing contest; I'm now 66.67. I have only ever waited one week, for a front tire, in Chiang Mai, because I didn't need it in two days.

A Gold Wing 1800 is good for loooong distances, or a 2,300-cc Triumph. Chiang Mai to KL and back on a CBR150, for a very tall guy, wasn't hard.

Dave. you can get handle bar raisers for the Ninja. raise an inch and back 1/2 inch 69.99 from roaring toys or some such. I put it on the Ninja thread some time ago. Allan

You misunderstood the point. I said that it was possible, but not only can't Somchai down at the corner 'machinist shop' make them, even after putting them on you're only limited to decreasing the distance from the top of the brace; no adjustment to the angle or anything....

As mentioned our Boxers are having the 34 sprocket and to drive off it maybe a play with the clutch too, until you get used to it. Assuming the first few meters this would be an advantage to the cbr because of our 34 sprocket...20meters later i think the boxer will pass the cbr. But really not important to me.....

We'll see...

I will also get the wider handlebar ( as mentioned at end of post) so i will also be able to adjust, which i look forward too..same as the new tires.

Good for you; can't let kano have all the fun.

And are we done talking about who's ridden the longest? I once walked 32 miles in 8 hours.....yes my feet hurt but my ass didn't.

Dave. you can get handle bar raisers for the Ninja. raise an inch and back 1/2 inch 69.99 from roaring toys or some such. I put it on the Ninja thread some time ago. Allan

You misunderstood the point. I said that it was possible, but not only can't Somchai down at the corner 'machinist shop' make them, even after putting them on you're only limited to decreasing the distance from the top of the brace; no adjustment to the angle or anything....

We'll see...

Good for you; can't let kano have all the fun.

And are we done talking about who's ridden the longest? I once walked 32 miles in 8 hours.....yes my feet hurt but my ass didn't.

Ok i just found some handlebars now...same as wide as kano's but actually higher.....so sometime this week i get it all mounted...

i also once walked about the same distance in approximately same time with a filled army backpack-- my feet hurt too also the shoulder ached..but my ass was no problems too :D:)

mbox

"And are we done talking about who's ridden the longest? I once walked 32 miles in 8 hours.....yes my feet hurt but my ass didn't."

Dave. Good job that wasn't in a prison................. your arse (ass) might have hurt then :D:)

AMAZED BY TIGER AGAIN

Last Thursday i went to Tiger for my very first big service stop after 22000 km . The service i ve done so far on my bike every 3500- 4000 km was an oil change motul 15 w 50 ( 235 baht/l) .

when I arrived at tiger pahol yothin main service point the mechanic started instantly on my bike . Every detail i asked was carefullu done

battery tire pressure oil change chain etc . The mechanic knew already what to cos i mailed Tiger a few days befroe what to do.

after 1,5 hrs works i received my deadly bill

2 new front wheel bearings 140 bht wear part

oil filter 56 bht wear part

oil change was done at 20000 km

labour cost 0 baht

TOTAL DAMAGE 206 BAHT

I couldnt believe what i ve heard and i was too embarrassed to ask why they needed the six baht how cheap can a bike be

Next week im tigering to laos Vientiane anyone interested to join

AMAZED BY TIGER AGAIN

Last Thursday i went to Tiger for my very first big service stop after 22000 km . The service i ve done so far on my bike every 3500- 4000 km was an oil change motul 15 w 50 ( 235 baht/l) .

when I arrived at tiger pahol yothin main service point the mechanic started instantly on my bike . Every detail i asked was carefullu done

battery tire pressure oil change chain etc . The mechanic knew already what to cos i mailed Tiger a few days befroe what to do.

after 1,5 hrs works i received my deadly bill

2 new front wheel bearings 140 bht wear part

oil filter 56 bht wear part

oil change was done at 20000 km

labour cost 0 baht

TOTAL DAMAGE 206 BAHT

I couldnt believe what i ve heard and i was too embarrassed to ask why they needed the six baht how cheap can a bike be

Next week im tigering to laos Vientiane anyone interested to join

Sure hope you tipped the guy....that's a good hour's worth of work.

thats the going price for all bikes, except honda wouldve remembered to change the air filter also...

Hahaha wrong they changed the air filter too it was in the price with the oil filter I was a bit lazy that evening to type it .

Tiger isnt that stupid .......

Charlie

Hi Tomartoh,

I know it sounds unbelievable but its true why do I have to lie.

Ask to mbox and Daveboo i told them while i rode together with them , the only service i did so far was change of oil. nothing more.

i know its too long its not the risk worth. That proofs that TIGER is a real good qlty bike.

after 22000 km the bodyparts still look as new too.

no corrosion at all , other member,

Charlie

Dear (future) Tiger friends ,

I placed a 120/80 dunlop arrowmax Gt 501 on my rear wheel . the stability remains great at all speeds .

====clip===

It is really worth to spend your money on a Tiger boxer 250 Rs you wont regret it .

Charlie

What is the diameter of the 120/80 section tire. It's just a touch fatter than the front tire (19 inch) of a BMW 1200GS! The rear being a 150/70 R17.

Must say that this Tiger Boxer 250RS really intrigues me, which I may have mentioned before on another thread. Any idea whether one can rent one of these? Doesn't matter what city, I will go there just to check it out later this year while on holiday.

Thanks to everyone for your great info.

post-16932-1246123247.gif