Rather Nice Building Bricks

tigerbalm

Hi.

I am considering using these bricks on a house construction they are made of concrete and come in different colors and some have a rough stone finish on the outside while others i assume for foundation work just plain they are about 15 cms wide may be a little more and semi hollow in the middle as the picture shows.

The house in the picture is one built on foundations rather than the normal pillar and beam method used in Thailand (I thought this was good as there is no pillars jutting out in side the house, so furniture could be placed heard up against any corner) where also i noted there are heavy steel rods going through the bricks all around the door window frames and at various intervals around the walls.

I noticed the heat on the inside of the walls was very minimal compared to the out side wall temp that was exposed to the sun.

Just wondering if any body else has come across these and had any experience with them in building and your thoughts

post-61723-1242706250_thumb.jpg

post-61723-1242706267_thumb.jpg

post-61723-1242706296_thumb.jpg

post-61723-1242706314_thumb.jpg

post-61723-1242706446_thumb.jpg

They are good looking blocks quite similar to the UK style blocks but the web looks thicker.

Who makes them?

How much?

What are they made from?

What is the facing made from?

They are good looking blocks quite similar to the UK style blocks but the web looks thicker.

Who makes them?

How much?

What are they made from?

What is the facing made from?

I am not sure who makes them. I will try to find out in the next week i don't as yet even no who stocks them (Around the Chiang Mai area)

The guy told me they are 30-35 Bht each The cost of the 3 bed two bathroom house in the picture for all the bricks including the internal walls come to 80,000 bht so i was told

Made from concrete, (very heavy)

The facing is all part of the mold and i assume has a dye as they come in a range of colors

Benifits as i can see are the insulation of heat properties and the i would imagine sound insulation and of course they look realy good.

I know chonburi concrete used to make these blocks,I have one sample at my home and they were available trough a hardware shop in siracha or straight from chonburi concrete.

However when I was in mentioned hardware shop a few weeks ago they told me they were not longer available.Don't know if they stopped producing or if the shop just didn't supply them anymore.

You can call chonburi concrete as they can give you the load-bearing figures.They had them in different sizes as well.

I know chonburi concrete used to make these blocks,I have one sample at my home and they were available trough a hardware shop in siracha or straight from chonburi concrete.

However when I was in mentioned hardware shop a few weeks ago they told me they were not longer available.Don't know if they stopped producing or if the shop just didn't supply them anymore.

You can call chonburi concrete as they can give you the load-bearing figures.They had them in different sizes as well.

I no they are available in Chiang Mai as the picture i took of the house was only a few weeks ago, the guy who is in charge of building it for his ex wife/girlfriend has another couple of projects going using the same materials on another Moo Bahn i am thinking of getting him involved .

I would imagine the load bearing quality would be pretty high say compared to those very thin little red bricks that they use or the breeze type grey blocks as these are made of concrete it would be a struggle to pick up two with one hand i imagine

I am curious/interested to why you mentioned load bearing qualities is there some thing i should be aware of ?

I no they are available in Chiang Mai as the picture i took of the house was only a few weeks ago, the guy who is in charge of building it for his ex wife/girlfriend has another couple of projects going using the same materials on another Moo Bahn i am thinking of getting him involved .

I would imagine the load bearing quality would be pretty high say compared to those very thin little red bricks that they use or the breeze type grey blocks as these are made of concrete it would be a struggle to pick up two with one hand i imagine

I am curious/interested to why you mentioned load bearing qualities is there some thing i should be aware of ?

Nothing to be aware of,only wanted to point out that these blocks have a loadbearing capacity where as the 5 baht regular blocks have close to none.

However I am no engineer so don't know if the loadbearing is high enough to build western style e.g. Without posts.

If you call the company they can give you the exact figures so if you have the knowledge you can calculate if they strong enough.

I mentioned chonburi concrete but I assume that every large concrete manufacturer will produce something similar.

Suggest you contact cpac.

Those are interesting blocks in the photos. Perhaps the O.P. can contact

http://www.ccp.co.th/en/products02_1.php

and see if they stock or custom make that product. It was my experience with CPAC that a "drop shipment" of building materials direct from the plant to your home building site is common and saves on transportation costs. It was also my experience that different dealers would have different prices for the exact same products form the same manufacturer.

Those are interesting blocks in the photos. Perhaps the O.P. can contact

http://www.ccp.co.th/en/products02_1.php

and see if they stock or custom make that product. It was my experience with CPAC that a "drop shipment" of building materials direct from the plant to your home building site is common and saves on transportation costs. It was also my experience that different dealers would have different prices for the exact same products form the same manufacturer.

Many thanks but i have looked at the web site and can not find any think that resembles these bricks, may be they are made to order. or just another company is making them, i am sure all will be revealed weather a poster comes up with the answer or for the reason oi mention below

I will contact the guy who is foreman for the build in the next few days about the company who are supplying them his G/F is coming around in the next hour for some food with my lady so i will tell her to get him to contact me asap.

One other reason i like them is that they are maintenance friendly look at the house in the photo i like the idear of not having to repaint in the future and i would intend to use them with out any plaster in the living room on certain walls. and may be the kitchen..

The guy turned up last night with g/f and i managed to find out where these come from the web site is in Thai only but if you have a Thai partner i am sure you could navigate around the site.

http://www.sereneblock.com/ am not sure if i can put this link on here but i am going to never the less, if th mods don't like it they can always remove it (simple as that).

The company is based in San Sai just out side Chiang Mai city and as far as i am aware it is the only one in Thailand and i got the impression the blocks come in a standard color and it costs 7 bht to add the color

Those look like standard American building bricks. I would love to purchase some if it pans out. I have been fruitless on looking in the Pattaya- Chonburi area..................... Don't ever use these bricks to make a ramp with wood on top to have a looksee underneath a car or a motorcycle. they will buckle & possibly cause great amount of pain. Found that out when I was 13 trial & error. Quite the error. But they are quite useful in a lot of building projects that the standard 1/2 a brick just won't do. Post if you were successful on securing these bricks as I would like to purchase some myself!

Thanks Barry

Those look like standard American building bricks. I would love to purchase some if it pans out. I have been fruitless on looking in the Pattaya- Chonburi area..................... Don't ever use these bricks to make a ramp with wood on top to have a looksee underneath a car or a motorcycle. they will buckle & possibly cause great amount of pain. Found that out when I was 13 trial & error. Quite the error. But they are quite useful in a lot of building projects that the standard 1/2 a brick just won't do. Post if you were successful on securing these bricks as I would like to purchase some myself!

Thanks Barry

Hi Beardog Dont get these confused with Bricks they are large molded concrete blocks about 6"wide and about 12'' long (May be more)

I posted a link to there website above (but the web site is in Thai)

I checked the website & it was Thai only but those are the blocks I have bought in the U.S. (made the same) under brick heading.But come to think of it I think I was mistaken - the Block has the cutouts in the ends I the bricks are total rectangular. Looks like it would give a decent insulation value(to keep it cool).

Edited by Beardog

Went to the Company a couple of days ago they explained a lot to me via my wife as they don't speak much English showed me how every thing was tied in with steel rods i have attached a drawing of this.

You can see all around the door and window frame and the corners of the building, 12 mm steel rods are inserted and the holes filled with concrete, there are no lintel beams or RSJs across the tops of doors or windows they use a U shape block with steel rod going thru you can see this in one of the drawings.

It was funny as the people in the office new who my wife was (by name) i later found out the guy who we know very well who is going to be in charge of the build had an Architect guy visit us to draw up some plans he must have used the same guy the office recommends as i would imagine you have to have some idear of the footings and how far to place the reinforcing rods around the walls etc.

I suspect he was a family member of the company's owner. but a lough young seemed very competent in his abilities to draw a rough floor plan and roof sketch , in no time at all he is coming back with the drawings soon to show s and make any necessary adjustments.

His charge would be 7000 bht for drawaings and getting the nessasary stamps for approval, not sure this is ok or not as i never had this done before any body like to comment would be appreciated.

Oh and the weight of the largest block is i believe 8.5 kgs

post-61723-1243072717_thumb.jpg

post-61723-1243073558_thumb.jpg

post-61723-1243074867_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigerbalm

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure its the same place but on the Maejo phrao rd there is a fectory that makes these. Past Maejo University would be on the oppisite side of the road of the uni. quite a few clicks past the stoplight at Meajo but before the red light to turn left to head to Maerim. Sorry maybe you found it already. But if not its there..