Wildlife Sanctuary Permit

DanielleXPT

Hello Everyone!

I would really like to visit some of Thailand's Wildlife Sanctuary's. I read that you must have a permit to enter these, does anyone know where I can get one of these, and how much they would be. I am fine volunteering my time there, and I would love to observe any wildlife as I will be studying Biology next year. Any help would be great!!

Hello Everyone!

I would really like to visit some of Thailand's Wildlife Sanctuary's. I read that you must have a permit to enter these, does anyone know where I can get one of these, and how much they would be. I am fine volunteering my time there, and I would love to observe any wildlife as I will be studying Biology next year. Any help would be great!!

You should consider going to Khao Yai National Park for a week or so. At the park you can rent a tent and all the camping gear. Off duty park rangers are available for hire and they can take you deep into the park. Toilet facilities/showers and restaurant are available in the camping area. Several years ago when we were camping there we met a young British girl who was working in the park as a volunteer but I dont have any details as how she got the job etc. I the past we have seen elephants in the park.

You do not need permits for National parks such as Khao Yai.

Nature Reserves are a different story. If you want, I can put you into contact with a Thai Nature guide who I have visited some of the Reserves in the past; but he obviously does this for a living i.e. expects to be paid.

You do not need permits for National parks such as Khao Yai.

Nature Reserves are a different story. If you want, I can put you into contact with a Thai Nature guide who I have visited some of the Reserves in the past; but he obviously does this for a living i.e. expects to be paid.

I dont mind paying, unless it is some ridiculously high amount, I would really like to visit the Wildlife reserves as I have heard and read that because they are less touristy you have a better chance of seeing the more rare animals.

Hello Everyone!

You should consider going to Khao Yai National Park for a week or so. At the park you can rent a tent and all the camping gear. Off duty park rangers are available for hire and they can take you deep into the park. Toilet facilities/showers and restaurant are available in the camping area. Several years ago when we were camping there we met a young British girl who was working in the park as a volunteer but I dont have any details as how she got the job etc. I the past we have seen elephants in the park.

Ok I will check it out, I really want to see some/a wild elephant, what would you say the best place to see them are? We rented a motorbike the other day and drove for a few hours on the 323 coming back from Erewan, no Elephants but we did see fresh dung!! I hate to say it but I was excited!!!

Just to clarify.. in Thailand there are 3 main categories of protected/designated land: 'National Parks', 'Wildlife Sanctuaries' & 'Forest Parks'

There are also the 'Non-hunting Areas'

@DanielleXPT - Khao Yai NP is your best option for seeing wild Elephants due to the sheer number of them residing there... try trekking through some of the very long, multi km, forest trails to see them in a really wild situation (as opposed to seeing a few marching along the tarmac roads, as they frequently do, or at the photo opportunity 'salt licks')

good luck