Vegetarian Dishes

DanielleXPT

Hello to All

I am a vegetarian and was wondering if someone could please tell me some Thai Dishes that are vegetarian.

Can you please tell me how to say in thai

-Vegetarian

-Not too spicy

-Anything Vegetarian

If I were to ask someone to make me Basil Chicken, with no chicken, but instead "Basil Vegetables" how would I do that?

Hope I can get some good information

Thank you!

This is a great country for vegetarian food. Keep your eyes open for yellow colored signs with red lettering, that is often a veg. rest. sign. You just point to what you want and they will dish it up, usually very inexpensive.

If you want no meat in a dish, just say jay,or jeh, after, example, kau phat= fried rice, kau phat jeh= veg. fried rice. not spicy=mai phet.

If I were to ask someone to make me Basil Chicken, with no chicken, but instead "Basil Vegetables" how would I do that?

Thank you!

Seriously that would be very funny if you're ordering "Basil Chicken" without any chicken in it. At least ask them to put some tofu in it, otherwise there is not much to be had there :)

no chicken = mai sai kai....or mai aow kai

there is 1 restaurant in mbk 6th floor,called nova kitchen,they make all dishies veg,including chicken,pork,duck etc,made of tofu or tohu so that you don't miss anything.i am kind of regular there,perfect place for vegge....

Hello to All

I am a vegetarian and was wondering if someone could please tell me some Thai Dishes that are vegetarian.

Can you please tell me how to say in thai

-Vegetarian

-Not too spicy

-Anything Vegetarian

Hope I can get some good information

Thank you!

Hi Dan,i'm a vegetarian since 32 years,i used to come for holidays since 10 years.IMO it's hard to be a strict veg. here,so hard that i had to open my own restaurant,and then start to serve some dishes with meat not to go bankrupt lol.Yes there are some veg restaurants but very few,except in cities like BKK or Chiang Mai.Ask for Khao pat pak(mix veg fried rice)or pad thai pak(rice noodles with veg).if you don't like eggs,tell the cook,many Thais seem to think that eggs are vegetables.Plenty of great fruits in this season,but you cannot live on fruits for long time.when i'm in BKK i always go to Indian restaurants,they have plenty of veg dishes,and most probably your rice will not smell like fish or meat.Good luck :)

PS Thai word for vegetarian is "sawirat","kin jeh" is eat vegetables only

It's "mansawirat" - vegetarian food but might include eggs. "Jae", or "kin jae", is a stricter diet without onions and garlic.

I think you better ask if they cook any "mansawirat" for you rather than trying to order anything special.

You can start with "chan kin mansawirat" and take it as far as your Thai will allow you.

Thank you to everyone that has helped me!!!

And as for the Basil Chicken with no chicken lol, yes tofu would be a good substitute or something like Basil Mixed Vegetables, I tried that in Malaysia at a Thai restaurant and I got a weird look and Vegetable with oyster sauce.

THANK YOU AGAIN and the next meal I order I am going to try some of these Thai words!!!!