Strong Cheddar Cheese Chiang Mai

ajarnpim

I think "vintage" cheese is strong has a great flavour and texture. I think it compares well with strong english irish and canadian cheddar cheese.

I just think its a bit pricey.

Are there any artisan cheesemakers out there in Chiang mai who can compete with Vintage.

ps Who actually buys or can afford the imported cheeses on offer at Rimping.

Ive been tempted by ordering the deluxe cheese platter at the Olde bell. (Via meals on wheels)

Enough plugs.

So many questions so little time.

PPs is cheese good for you.

PPPS love the "vintage dreams"

Are there

Nothing local comes close to the Mainland Vintage one.

(Actually, noting local comes close even to plain old Makro cheese that costs 350 baht for a whole kilo.. this is not quite as tasty as the Vintage one, but it's perfectly acceptable and much cheaper)

And where to find the locally made dill pickles nowadays, which go so well with vintage/cheddar?

Cheese is very good for you -- calcium & protein tho quite high in fat and calories (varies per type, of course ... goat/cow? Some. like feta, may also be quite high in salt.).

Just eat a little, good quality cheese each day. Good for bones and teeth.

Tops (& Rimping, I think) sometimes have little off-cuts of less commonly sighted cheeses in their special "deli" sections.

Hmmm ... how about Red Leicester?

*Da Stefano's (via Meals on Wheels :) ) has "Misto Formaggi" for 220 Baht.

Edited by WaiWai

My understanding of a really good mature Cheddar cheese is that it is quite hard and when cutting it it crumbles half way down the cut and the taste is quite strong on the pallet or as is as commonly said tickles the roof of the mouth (or am i just talking crap)

But seriously i never have experienced this with any cheese (Mature cheddar) i have purchased in LOS but all the same i still buy it if it has mature on the lable

And yes where can one buy pickle onions i am afraid that up here in CM you just cant get them..may be in Frendship or Foodland in Pattaya yes.

I could murder a pickled onion right now :)

Mmm, yes ... pickled onions ... used to be alarge jar on the counter of all the fish & chips shops in Oz.

Green olives are not too hard to locate here but where to get lovely big black non-tinned Kalamata olives?

Can you take cheese into to Thailand for yourself.

When the UK had the mad cow out break you couldn't

take dairy products out of the country.

I wouldn't want to get locked up for a kilo of cheese. :)

You can buy Mainland "Vintage" at Northern Farms on Huay Kaew Rd. (headed west towards the mountain, about 200 mt. before the Irrigation Canal Rd. intersection, south side of street) for ~145B per 250 g package. By far the best deal in town on this; beats Rimping and Tops at ~165B.

They don't always have it in stock; it's a shophouse sized store.

Definitely my fav sharp cheddar cheese. New Zealand product.

(Actually, noting local comes close even to plain old Makro cheese that costs 350 baht for a whole kilo.. this is not quite as tasty as the Vintage one, but it's perfectly acceptable and much cheaper)

Hey, I just discovered the Makro cheese kilo too! I'll never go back to those disgusting rubber cheddar slices I was buying. Ugh!

OK, now we're on olives.

Go to Carrefour, to the aisle with all the imported pasta. Just opposite the refrigerated milk section, far left of the store from entrance.

You will find 2 types of olives under the Carrefour house brand, one a black olive "Provençal" style, and a green olive mixed with red bell pepper, etc.

French style, and very good, but not cheap at ~44 B per 100 g pack.

In the same aisle you will find Spanish cornichon (very small pickles), large jars of green Spanish olives and various other delicacies like capers, etc.

Unfortunately I have not found authentic Kalamata Greek olives here in Thailand, except for small tins at ridiculous prices...

I used to buy 1 gallon plastic casks of the real deal Kalamata Greek olives in Cali for about $5 from Middle Eastern shops. Really. I gallon, about $5. They came packed in brine (US import/tariff regulations) and the first thing I did was float about a half inch of good olive oil on top, and put on a lower kitchen storage space/cupboard.

They would keep for at least 6-12 months this way.

OK, back to real cheddar cheese in Thailand, home produced, take it away.... :)

While home here in Canada I have a market where I buy 900 grams of extra sharp chedder for the equivilant of about 350 baht. It is scary what I have to pay for something even close to being similar. The only place I've found sharp chedder is Rimping where they have food imports from all over the world. I use the sharp chedder in a lot of my cooking, so most of the time I just shred it, but occasionally I'll have it with crackers.

I used to buy 1 gallon plastic casks of the real deal Kalamata Greek olives in Cali for about $5 from Middle Eastern shops. Really. I gallon, about $5.

Mmmm ... salt cravings.

What's happened to the Pickle King pickles?

And where to find the locally made dill pickles nowadays, which go so well with vintage/cheddar?

Rimping stock "Jo's Best Gewuerzgurken" from Jo's Bakery in Hang Dong - 85 baht for a decent-sized jar..... excellent flavour/texture and I get through a jar a week. "Jo's Best" pickled onions also not bad for the price (also 85 baht if I remember right) - but lack some of the flavour of what Brits know from back home (Haywards etc). All in all, I'd take just about all their pickled stuff (inc. sauerkraut) over any of the competition - until you start paying 300+ % more for imported British/German/American brands.

The Duke's has pretty good dill pickles for sale as does Texas Roast Beef sandwiches. They are actually pretty darn good!

I'm just a stupid <deleted> American, but I love vlassic and nalley pickles, are these you are referring to anything like those?

Yes, Texas Roast Beef sandwiches is a little closer in my book, but Dave at the Duke's is constantly trying improve his products (and his pickles are pretty good already), so test both. Don't rely on my opinion as I formed it some time ago.

Rimping stock "Jo's Best Gewuerzgurken" from Jo's Bakery in Hang Dong - 85 baht for a decent-sized jar..... excellent flavour/texture and I get through a jar a week. "Jo's Best" pickled onions also not bad for the price (also 85 baht if I remember right) - but lack some of the flavour of what Brits know from back home (Haywards etc). All in all, I'd take just about all their pickled stuff (inc. sauerkraut) over any of the competition - until you start paying 300+ % more for imported British/German/American brands.

Agree that Jo's pickles are usually very good (despite the odd limp one, which is probably unavoidable :)) and good value.

Mind you, it's not difficult to make your own:

- Polskie Ogorki recipe -

Cuisine: Polish

· Ingredients

3 quarts Water

Fresh Dill

1 quart white vinegar

Garlic Cloves

Table Salt

Small Cucumbers (basket)

*Note: If some of the units or abbreviations look unfamiliar to you, click here.

· Method

Your cucumbers have to be firm and crisp. Scrub cucumbers with vegetable brush, removing all sand and dirt. Combine water and vinegar and bring to a boil. If more water is required make certain you use the same ratio 3/1 water and vinegar.

Place a sprig of dill and 2-3 cloves of garlic into each quart jar. Pack cucumbers in jar and top with dill and garlic. To get as many as possible in the space, put them in upright, in circles following the lines of the glass. Don't squeeze them so tight that you break the skins. Bruised cucumbers are no good.

Add 1 tablespoon salt to each jar. Pour hot water and vinegar over cucumbers. Seal immediately. Place into hot water bath for approximately 15 minutes.

Delicious and guaranteed to remain firm.

ruscuisine.com/cooking-recipes/index.php/pickles/?recipe=390&offset=0

Agree that Jo's pickles are usually very good (despite the odd limp one, which is probably unavoidable :) ) and good value.

Mind you, it's not difficult to make your own:

- Polskie Ogorki recipe -

Cuisine: Polish

· Ingredients

3 quarts Water

Fresh Dill

1 quart white vinegar

Garlic Cloves

Table Salt

Small Cucumbers (basket)

*Note: If some of the units or abbreviations look unfamiliar to you, click here.

· Method

Your cucumbers have to be firm and crisp. Scrub cucumbers with vegetable brush, removing all sand and dirt. Combine water and vinegar and bring to a boil. If more water is required make certain you use the same ratio 3/1 water and vinegar.

Place a sprig of dill and 2-3 cloves of garlic into each quart jar. Pack cucumbers in jar and top with dill and garlic. To get as many as possible in the space, put them in upright, in circles following the lines of the glass. Don't squeeze them so tight that you break the skins. Bruised cucumbers are no good.

Add 1 tablespoon salt to each jar. Pour hot water and vinegar over cucumbers. Seal immediately. Place into hot water bath for approximately 15 minutes.

Delicious and guaranteed to remain firm.

ruscuisine.com/cooking-recipes/index.php/pickles/?recipe=390&offset=0

I had always understood that for realy crisp & crunchy pickles it was nessesary to overnight 'salt them first,presumably to draw out moisture from the vegetable.

[...]

And yes where can one buy pickle onions i am afraid that up here in CM you just cant get them..may be in Frendship or Foodland in Pattaya yes.

I could murder a pickled onion right now :D

I was at Rimping Supermarket (the one on the old Chiang Mai-Lamphun rd) yesterday and actually stood with a jar of pickled onions in my hand, pondering whether to buy them. For some reason I decided not to, so with a bit of luck they are still there :)

/ Priceless

I think "vintage" cheese is strong has a great flavour and texture. I think it compares well with strong english irish and canadian cheddar cheese.

I just think its a bit pricey.

Are there any artisan cheesemakers out there in Chiang mai who can compete with Vintage.

ps Who actually buys or can afford the imported cheeses on offer at Rimping.

Ive been tempted by ordering the deluxe cheese platter at the Olde bell. (Via meals on wheels)

Enough plugs.

So many questions so little time.

PPs is cheese good for you.

PPPS love the "vintage dreams"

Are there

A little bit of topic - but for an incredible fusion of flavours and textures, try:

'Vintage Cheese' + Purple Grape + Rosy cracker

moderator can't we get the pickle threads opened in a separate topic :)

I like the big 1kg slabs of cheddar they sell at Macro as well, a few years back they were giving a kilo of mozerella free with each 1kg cheddar, an amazing bargain.

Is cheese good for you - watched a programme on tv last night on dieting methods and dairy products were given the thumbs up, apparently it's been scientifically proven that some chemical in dairy wraps itself around fat in the lower gut and excretes the waste with the attached fat.

It's still very high in calories though so I wouldn't over do it.

I enjoy the Olde Bell's cheese platter a good selection.