Tax Implications On Investments In Australia

Hi

I am planning to move to Thailand in the not too distant future. I will have investments (term deposits, mortgage funds, etc) in Australia which will be giving me approx. 50,000 baht (gross) each month in interest.

What are the taxes that I will need to pay the Australian government?

Does it make a difference if I claim to be a resident or non-resident of Australia?

Are any of you Australians in this position?

Thanks in advance :o

As a non-resident, you will be required to pay all tax due at the top rate.

The only exception that I know of, is that as a non resident you do not have to declare dividend income from shares, however you also do not get any benefit from imputation tax credits.

The only exception that I know of, is that as a non resident you do not have to declare dividend income from shares, however you also do not get any benefit from imputation tax credits.

...so do you think it's best just to stay a resident and pay the applicable tax?

Cheers BaanOz

BTW I wonder if you can open a bank account in Thailand and using that, open a HSBC internet trading account in Australia to trade? How would the tax implications go then?

Edited by BaanOz

...so do you think it's best just to stay a resident and pay the applicable tax?

Cheers BaanOz

BTW I wonder if you can open a bank account in Thailand and using that, open a HSBC internet trading account in Australia to trade? How would the tax implications go then?