Some Question On Power Consuptions And Heat

Richard-BKK

We have 4 computers over in our office and we need to select one to do some low tech 24/7 online business, probably a Intel 80286 MS-Dos computer would be fine... if I had one …

Okay we have over...

AMD Athlon 2300Mhz, motherboard from Gigabyte, no idea which one... 1GB DDR1 400mhz RAM, Nvidia GF-5200 128mb AGP and 160GB IDE hard drive.

Intel Celeron-D 2400Mhz, socket 478, 2GB DDR1 400Mhz, Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe motherboard, Western Digital 250GB SATA hard drive.

Intel E4300, (speed unknown), Asus P5B motherboard, 2GB DDR2 800Mhz, Nvidia GF-8500GT 256mb PCI-E VGA, 320GB Seagate SATA-II HDD.

Intel E6550, (speed unknown), Asus P5K motherboard, 3GB DDR2 800Mhz, Nvidia GF8600GTS 256mb PCI-E VGA, 320GB Seagate SATA-II HDD.

My question is which computer will produce the lowest heat, and which will use the lowest electric consumption?

We have 4 computers over in our office and we need to select one to do some low tech 24/7 online business, probably a Intel 80286 MS-Dos computer would be fine... if I had one …

Okay we have over...

AMD Athlon 2300Mhz, motherboard from Gigabyte, no idea which one... 1GB DDR1 400mhz RAM, Nvidia GF-5200 128mb AGP and 160GB IDE hard drive.

Intel Celeron-D 2400Mhz, socket 478, 2GB DDR1 400Mhz, Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe motherboard, Western Digital 250GB SATA hard drive.

Intel E4300, (speed unknown), Asus P5B motherboard, 2GB DDR2 800Mhz, Nvidia GF-8500GT 256mb PCI-E VGA, 320GB Seagate SATA-II HDD.

Intel E6550, (speed unknown), Asus P5K motherboard, 3GB DDR2 800Mhz, Nvidia GF8600GTS 256mb PCI-E VGA, 320GB Seagate SATA-II HDD.

My question is which computer will produce the lowest heat, and which will use the lowest electric consumption?

The E4300 will win hands down. BTW, the 4300 and the 6550 are both 65w chips (the 4300 is 1.8 ghz and the e6550 is 2.33 ghz but has double the cache). The Celeron (which may actually be called a 320 depending on when it was manufactured) is a Prescott core and thus 90nm design and a fuel bill that puts NASA to shame. I don't know what Athlong you are talking about, but if it's one of the Bartons, you're looking at a lot of juice also. Even the new AMD processors (with the exception of the low voltage versions) can't match the Core 2 Duo low power usage.

**edit**

And you wouldn't want to use an older chip; the power saving states in new ones makes the older chips look like a French diesel car from the 70's sitting next to a Toyota Prius.

**edit 2**

If you have Linux on all of them, run this from a terminal:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

It will tell you all about your processor.

Edited by dave_boo

He Dave,

Very clear.. the AMD can not be that new, it is idle (not used) for at least 4 years...

And of course I run Linux, we have a platform independence policy at our company. And lets face the fact, Windows XP with MS Office will not only rip you wallet out your pocket but also put a heavy load on memory and processor resources.

Sorry a bit off topic... still very relevant

Edited by Richard-BKK

Three of them have Nvidia cards running.  What will that add to it.  If you don't need that kind of video something with basic chip would use less power and make less heat.  My 8400gs cooks my little office space.