Mangoes

Ulysses G.

I like the มะม่วงเขียวสาวาย (not sure if the last word is spelt correctly) when it is ripe. The best way I can describe it is half way between the sweet yellow mango and the sour green mango. perfect!

I've got a book about mangos from the royal flora festival. So many types you wouldn't believe it.

Interesting Thailand fruit fact - the most money they make from exporting fruit comes from Longan (lam yai). Something to look forward to in the rainy season. And another fruit with countless varieties.

Yeah the fruit here is incredible.

Mango varieties

Can't offhand think of any not covered in the link.

Except friends of ours have been growing a huge imported Australian variety which are the same size as a decent papaya. One mango = a whole meal.

They taste good too. Occasionally seen for sale here.

I'm grateful to cmsally for this link - which has helped me identify the particular mango tree I have in my garden ("plaam" I think) which is producing prodigious quantities of delicious fruits this year (helped by my expenditure on water and fertiliser over the last few dry months).

Clicking on the varieties on that site also shows a graphic of what I find is the best way to prep them for eating (tip - use a sharp knife with a rounded end rather than a point) - though I don't bother with the fork...... just get stuck in with tongue and teeth:

post-14906-1242893706_thumb.png

It is an epic year for Mango's it seems! Do you cover your mangos with plastic or paper bags? I see many people doing this, and I wonder whether it is to keep birds or insects from spoiling the crop.

I've been buying them roadside every other day, as all we have in our garden are the green bitter ones. Biggest ones I have seen (name unknown) are on the road back from Mae Rim, just before you get to 121. They also sell the sweet, sappy ones.

It is an epic year for Mango's it seems! Do you cover your mangos with plastic or paper bags? I see many people doing this, and I wonder whether it is to keep birds or insects from spoiling the crop.

Not to mention protection against bats. All mine are too high to reach for bagging; I've seen it done with bananas - but didn't realise it was also applied to mangoes.

Edited by Steve2UK

We should have a plentiful supply of mangoes but unfortunately we also have a plentiful supply of squirrels.

They are very partial to the odd mango or 2, or 20 ....

They have a very annoying habit of shredding the peel which they let fall so it looks like someone vomited their papaya salad under the tree and then they use the stones for target practice on the dog. :)