Street crime precautions

phazey

This post was inspired by the thread

"Top 10 dangerous sois in bangkok"

Alough I personally have not been a victim of a mugging or whatever, two friends of mine have, one was involved in a ride by "phone snatch", the other was pickpocketed on a street bridge and lost his wallet.

My wife is always paranoid and warning me about wearing jewelry, carrying money etc when out and about, and i've always done the brash "yeah yeah, it'll never happen to me" kinda thing. Now I am more concerned.

So i guess i'm starting this thread not only for leasons learnt, but also for useful info. I certainly have not been a victim of the above street crimes (prolly cos i dont spend all my time in Thailand/Bangkok) but i am taking more precautions to make myself and my family less of a target when i am there.

So i'll start:

1) spread your cash about your pockets.

2) if you have jewelry, leave it unexposed or at home.

3) if you are walking down a soi taking a phone call, hold on to it, and have an ear on the surroundings.

and then... :o

./P

Very good topic...would like to add this one for the ladies:

When walking anywhere, be it a soi, street, even department stores, be sure to carry your purse close to you or if you can to the front of your body...I see many purses being carried to the back which is prone to anyone out to pocket your personal effects....beware and better safe than sorry.

Excellent idea. Here's my two cent's worth.

1. While walking anywhere and a stranger stops you to ask questions like "where is the bus stop"...immediately take a step back and before even answering look left right and back for suspicious characters.

This is a very common ruse where a decoy will get the target's attention and another guy comes from the back to snatch a necklace or a purse.

2. Always be aware of people walking behind you. If you notice someone too close immediately turn around and face that person. Then act like you forgot something and walk to where you just came from.

This seems dangerous but more often than not, just the fact that a target has become aware of them will stop them from doing anything. You can even see it in their eyes that they were surprised. If they don't look surprised then that was just another pedestrian.

3. Learn a close contact self defence art like Aikido or Ju Jitsu.

4. Carry a personal defense item like pepper spray or a high decibel alarm.

I was riding my little moped one night and the girl I had on the back - who had a mobile phone around her neck - drew attention of some local punks. We'd stopped to eat at some food stall and they must have noticed the phone, just hanging there. They rode up alongside as we were setting off and snatched the phone, then kicked the bike, trying to knock us off, but failed. I'm over 6' and a big guy [ not fat ] These 2 little Thai's didn't think twice about taking on me.

Talking to friends, I soon realised this was a very common thing indeed, much of it is never reported. You certainly should try to be aware that these criminals scope public areas for people with gold, phones, bags etc., attacking later out of the public places.

One guy I know had his front teeth knocked out by a mugger that decided it was easier to steal from him if he was unconscious. Be aware, just like you would at home in some ghetto area.

I will add this.

I have had my pocket picked once...this was in the Chatuchak market where it is impossible not to have close contact. Another bad place of course is getting on buses at Victory Monument.

But I didn't lose any money. I wear a highly visible pouch on my belt, where I kept a notebook, maps and other stuff like that. My money, cards etc are kept either in a wallet in my front pocket or in the case of Passport/Work Permit in a belt that goes around the inside of my calf (make sure your documents are in a "zip-lock plastic bag" so they stay dry from the sweat  :o )

The point is I had a decoy spot for the pickpocketer to go (my waist pouch).

It is also useful to carry a decoy wallet with 100 baht in it and fake papers

Agree with Herald.

I always carry an empty cheapo wallet in my pocket. My money/cards is carried in a concealed pouch around my, or my wife's, neck under the top layer of clothing (or a money belt if its too visible). If the wallet is nicked, it costs me 10baht or so for a new one - I leave the cardboard cards in there (dummy ones that come with the wallet) - just to rub the salt in if they nick it. I usually carry no more than 500 baht in small notes and coins and leave the rest in the pouch - I go in to a toilet cubicle to swap money around.

I have been pick-pocketed twice - neither time in Thailand. Once in London at a disco-pub (lost a wallet with no cash in it, but my credit cards and irreplaceable photos); and in Manila - they stole a biro pen (?) - I felt them take it from a pocket on my sports bag on my shoulder. There was nothing of value at all in the bag. The biro was a cheap throw away type - made me smile.

Saw a gret sighn in a cinema in Manila - written in English it said "Beware pickpockets. Keep your eyes in your bag". So becareful of you eye balls next time you are in Manila!

Quick question. Someone mentions Pepper-Spray above, is it legal in LOS to carry it? If not, I suppose some dried chilli powder in a celophane bag would do - throun in the face of an assailant. "Sorry officer, I was holding my bag of Chilli powder I was taking home for dinner when he took me by surprise!" :o

:o

1-keep your valuables in the hotel safe, while not in your room, some room cleaners have eyes for gold or other valuables,

2-when taking a taxi walk behind the taxi and write down the number, do not ride unless he runs the meter, if anyone else is in the taxi, like another male look for an empty taxi, never get in,

3-if walking alone at night, stay in lighted areas or take a taxi,

Bud

I like the Dirty Harry approach...the business end of a .44 Magnum and hissing "make my day...". Can people legally carry handguns in Thailand? There was something in the local press about gun ownership and a local debate regarding whether the cops or your equalizer should be trusted to protect you.

I don't live in BKK so I don't got to worry too much. I am a big dude like Mackerel and I grew up in a bad ass area in Los Angeles and I can see a punk coming down the block a mile away. Steady eye contact to let them know that you ain't fooled or scared will prevent hassles...unless they are determined and have bigger weapons. In that case you are f**ked and just give it up.

What about the local firearms ownership debate?

Be careful during the day too. I went to an ATM on sukhimvit

at 2pm broad daylight and like an idiot I took out 4000 baht

and turned around w/ the $$ counting it (I dont carry a wallet)

and right in front of me was a moto taxi guy. For a

second i thought he was maybe waiting in line for the ATM

but the crazed look on his face staring at the 4000 instantly

told me i was in trouble. Quickly he looked both ways like

checking who was around. Before he turned back to face

me I fired my jab (I am a boxer -thai/western) that landed

perfectly on the chin and buckled him a bit. He then started

swinging wildly like a drunk girlfriend who just caught you

with her best friend. I just covered up, circled a bit and

dropped a straight right missing the temple but landing flush on the

cheek, then i fired a left hook to the body hitting him on the

back then high missing and i stepped away. He faces me

and I say "Buh" and pointed away. He smiles and spit out

some blood and said "falang DIE!" and approaches me carefully this time,

I set in my stance and as he got close I fired a jab at his face

and unleashed a screaming leg kick that sunk deep into his

thigh and I got hit by a right at the same time. Now I know he cant punch

for a good 15 seconds because the cyatic was shocked -

I just opened up punches/elbows/knees, i wanted blood

after getting hit myself. After a bit something in my mind said "Run"

so i turned and ran for a block or so and turned around he was

limping after me yelling stuff in thai. My heart was pumping

and i just kept on walking and looking. I didnt want to lead

him back to my hotel so i ducked into one hotel and

slipped out a side entrance, ran a bit and grabbed a taxi.

Amazing i fought that whole fight with 4000 grasped in my

hand and didnt lose it. I never seen the guy again. I never

took a motorcy taxi again either.

be careful

nam

I like the Dirty Harry approach...the business end of a .44 Magnum and hissing "make my day...". Can people legally carry handguns in Thailand? There was something in the local press about gun ownership and a local debate regarding whether the cops or your equalizer should be trusted to protect you.

I don't live in BKK so I don't got to worry too much. I am a big dude like Mackerel and I grew up in a bad ass area in Los Angeles and I can see a punk coming down the block a mile away. Steady eye contact to let them know that you ain't fooled or scared will prevent hassles...unless they are determined and have bigger weapons. In that case you are f**ked and just give it up.

What about the local firearms ownership debate?

If you're a local or a permanent resident, you can own a firearm.   As many as you want.   The current talk is that they are going to limit it to one firearm (but every licensed firearm before whatever date is grandfathered).    You can't own a .44 because you're not allowed to own a handgun that can chamber a more powerful round than the standard issue police .38s and .357s.   And like any form of self defence, make sure you put in your practice time at the range (put 1000+ rounds with the same ammo through your piece at 7, 15, and 25 meter marks and then regularly thereafter).   General wisdom is that you skip the Dirty Harry talk (or any kind of talk) until you have 1-2 rounds in your mark.    Then have your chat.      

???

To Nam,

I do not understand, why not just finish him off and ride his motor bike home? I know the driving confuses me too? Got to look four ways when crossing everytime.

Bud

hahaha...Are you for real?

You have never actually driven in Bankok traffic, OBVIOUSLY. Frankly, Bud you'd be dead in a week is my prediction. Macho shit!!!

I have driven in most cities in North America...I learned how to tailgate @120 kph in Toronto traffic on the 401. I have driven in Montreal where red lights seem to be optional. I have driven the Santa Monica freeway in California and in New York city as well....But I wouldn't dream of driving in Bangkok. I'd be knocking off motorcyclists left and right as they tried to pass me on those invisible lanes....night travel where they come at you on the wrong side of the road with their lights off (to conserve energy I suppose)....You got a lot to learn, Pal...

PS: What he did was very wise, IMHO. You want to hang around and wait for that guy's buddies to show up too? Oh...I suppose you'd finish them off as well.  :o

Before he turned back to face

me I fired my jab (I am a boxer -thai/western) that landed

perfectly on the chin and buckled him a bit. He then started

swinging wildly like a drunk girlfriend who just caught you

with her best friend. I just covered up, circled a bit and

dropped a straight right missing the temple but landing flush on the

cheek, then i fired a left hook to the body hitting him on the

back then high missing and i stepped away. He faces me

and I say "Buh" and pointed away. He smiles and spit out

some blood and said "falang DIE!" and approaches me carefully this time,

Nam, i just read your account of events. You are a Boxer? haha, dont try to make money out of it, your furious assault on a motorcycle taxi driver only had him running after you, imagine what another Boxer would do to you!!! :o

Cheers

Er, I'm not a boxer (I've seen a some pretty boring matches on tv) but I'd say that a street fight with a crazed taxi driver/rider is not quite the same as a fight involving two evenly matched boxers (same weight) with rounds of 3 minutes, rests in-between, strict rules (no punches below the belt) and no weapons but your arms and legs. Plus as someone said he could have had mates. Unless you were Bruce Lee or someone, I'd put my money on the taxi man.

...but officer, he had that look on his face like he was just about to...

The moto taxi guy was ripped and big.

Could have been a boxer too.

It just happened so fast, also in the back of my mind

was the police as i threw the first punch. Thats why i

bolted.

Thai police show up and a few witnesses who hate falang

and i am in the monkey house.

???

To Herald,

Please accept my apology if I came off wrong, I was just trying to add a little humor. I am fully aware of the dangerous situation for Westerners tying to drive in Thailand. The Thai's are really out of control on the road. All most got it several times while in a Taxi. I personally would not attempt it unless I had formal Thai driving school. Maybe not even then. You see after driving on the opposite side and sitting on the left for so many years, could an old dog learn new tricks? Bermuda is another place that scares me. I agree Nam did the right thing. Sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers, I was only kidding around. I am no longer a Moncho person, once a brain washed ground force commander in the US Army, now I only think of making love not war. Violence is approprate in self defense, while in the out matched defense mode in the US Army I would order a retrograde manuver, or run like #### if your about to be over run. Great decision Nam. Sorry Herald.

Bud

Bud, no problem.

I think the next time i'll be better prepared. Its a weird experience.

Plus then i didnt realize the police could be bought off in a

pinch. DUIs cost me 500 bt upcountry :')

The point i was trying to make is even during daylight -

watch your back... Especially around ATMs.  If this guy

had a knife in his hand I'd be pushing up daisies right

now. Even very experienced martial artists that train

against knife attacks have a 50/50 chance against a

knife weilding assailant. I trained w/ Paul Vanuk (sp?).

again everyone, be careful.

nam

???

About ATMs, not only watch for someone who may snatch your money and or card. I heard something about they fix the slot, this being fixed by insertion of paper, once your card goes in it does not come out. After you leave for help to get your card back they show up and wiggle it out. Thus they have a new card to go shopping with.

Bud

???

About ATMs, not only watch for someone who may snatch your money and or card. I heard something about they fix the slot, this being fixed by insertion of paper, once your card goes in it does not come out. After you leave for help to get your card back they show up and wiggle it out. Thus they have a new card to go shopping with.

Bud

There is an extension to that scam actually...

The bad guy puts a piece of plastic in the ATM so the card goes in but when you punch in your PIN the ATM cannot read it ...asking you to do this again...and again...and again.

The bad guy is watching and thus has several chances to catch you PIN number. then when you leave to get help he pulls the plastic out and has your card + PIN.

Apparently there is tiny wires that run along the edge of the slot so it is easily pulled out. So if you have that problem...run your fingers around the edge of the card slot...you should feel them....so I am told anyway.

Just don't leave the ATM and call the bank's 24 hour number (if it's there) for help.     Krung Thai Bank machines are also immune to this particular scam because it automatically ejects (making sure that the machine itself has a 'grip' on your card and not a scammer's plastic sleeve) your card one time before it actually attemps to read it.   This was done to counter this particular scam.

Krung Thai Bank machines are also immune to this particular scam because it automatically ejects (making sure that the machine itself has a 'grip' on your card and not a scammer's plastic sleeve) your card one time before it actually attemps to read it.   This was done to counter this particular scam.

Oh, I'll stop swearing at ATMs that throw my card back at me as soon as I insert it then. :o

(edited to remove typo)

• 4 weeks later...

got this from my dad, who got if from a friend of his. altho it was written for the US I think alot of the precautions here would apply everywhere.

TIPS FOR STAYING SAFE...especially women

I learned from my children's karate classes that the elbow is the strongest point on your body.  If you are close enough to use it, do!

If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you but everybody else will.  This has saved lives.

Last night I attended a personal safety workshop, and it jolted me. It was given by an amazing man, Pat Malone, who has been a body guard for famous figures like Farrah Fawcett and Sylvester Stallone.  He works for the FBI and teaches police officers and Navy SEALS hand-to-hand combat.

This man has seen it all, and knows a lot.  He focused his teachings to us on HOW TO AVOID BEING THE VICTIM OF A VIOLENT CRIME.  He gave us some statistics about how much the occurrences of random violence have escalated over the 20 recent years, and it's terrible.  Something like 99% of us will be exposed to, or become a victim of a violent crime.

Here are some of the most important points that I got out of his presentation:

(1.) The three reasons women are easy targets for random acts of violence are:

(a.) Lack of Awareness You MUST know where you are & what's going on around you.

(b.) Body Language Keep your head up, swing your arms, stand straight up.

(c.) Wrong Place, Wrong Time DON'T walk alone in an alley, or drive  in a bad neighborhood at night.

(2.) Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc).

DON'T DO THIS!

The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in the passenger side,

put a gun to  your head, and tell you where to go.

AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.

(a.) A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:

Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.

(b.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.

(c.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side.  If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.

IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.  (And better paranoid than dead.)

(3.) ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot).

(4.) If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control,

ALWAYS RUN

(a.)The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely Will not be a vital organ.

RUN!

(5.) As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP IT!

It may get you raped, or killed.

(a.) Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good looking, well

educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women.  He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

(b.) Pat Malone told us the story of his daughter, who came out of the mall and was walking to her car when she noticed 2 older ladies in front of her.  Then she saw a police car come towards her with cops who said hello.  She also noticed that all 8 handicap spots in the area were empty.  As she neared her car she saw a man a few rows over calling to

her for help.  He wanted her to close his passenger side door.  He was sitting in the back on the driver's side, said he was handicapped.  He continued calling, until she turned and headed back to the mall, and then he began cursing at her. In the meantime, she wondered why he didn't ask the 2

older ladies, or the policeman for help, and why he was not parked in any of the empty handicap spots.  As she got back to the mall, two male friends of hers were exiting, and as she told them the story, and turned to point at the car, the man was getting out of the back seat into the front and the car sped away.

DON'T GET CAUGHT IN THIS TRAP.

As a Londoner, I feel quite safe in Bangkok......

But when I see all those viscious knives for sale along the side of the road......I wonder who around me has bought one?.

Is it legal to carry a razor sharp knife in Thailand?.

No.  But judging from the number of "Knives R Us" tables around town, I think a lot of people are carrying.