Baby Bassinette (not A Full-sized Crib)

Golf

Hi all:

We are looking for a baby bassinette. We couldn't find it anywhere. In Bangkok, there are all full-sized crib. We need a bassinette for our newborn baby 'cause we are moving back to the States and don't need a crib. Anyone knows where to buy it here in Thailand? My wife is ready to cry when she learned that there is no such thing as bassinettes in Thailand...... :o

Thank you

I assume by bassinette you mean the things that babies sleep in on planes. The closest I've seen to that in Bangkok are travel cots. They have them in Mothercare (e.g. at the branch in Central Chidlom) but as with all things Mothercare, they're not cheap...

Just re-read your original post and realised that you may also mean the beds that babies sleep in before they are large enough for a 'proper' cot. They have "Moses baskets" in Central Chidlom as well - in the Mothercare section and the other baby section on the same floor. Again, they're not cheap though. Apparently they also sell these baskets at Chatuchak Market but we've never managed to find the stall there...

Edited by grahamb

have you thought of an oval laundry basket? all my kdis slept in that there first 5 months as they slept in same room as me and a basinette is really the same just more decorative....'twas my mother the new yorker's idea but cheap and functional, and safe for baby (not straw kind, plastic kind)

Hi again,

Thanks for wonderful recommendations :o We are thinking about going to Jattujak market as well. Since we're going back to the States, we are looking for something reasonable in price and function. Yes, the bed for a baby is what we're looking for. Bina, your suggestion is exactly what my wife've told to me! We might have to use it for now, but we also will pay Central a visit. Thank you all. We'll let you guys know how it went.

Many thanks.

Hi Golf....... congradulations for your baby..... We have a one month old and we bought most of the baby gear at Tesco....

I'm not sure if this is the type of basinette that you have talked about but we bought a foldable type that can also swing, Tesco's has quite a good range of baby gear for us sensible cheap charlies :o

When I was back in in NZ I bought a car seat for a new born, this also has a fold down carry handle..... it has been great using this, not only for the car but just walking around shopping etc..... as you just can not use a pram or push chair on the broken pavement.

Depending on the the age of your baby I think the carry seat would be ideal to use for traveling back to the States.

I'm not sure if the carry seats are available here, you might have a kind relative who could send one over for you and then you could be assured that it's up to international safety standards. Evenflo Discovery is a good brand.

If there is any other info I could help you with just pm me.

Hi Bina, grahamb, COBBER, and Kiwi_James:

Thank you so much for all of your kindness! I found a kind of small, swingable crib at Big C and that is just find for the baby. It's also cheap too :o We want to save money before we're ready to go back to the States. My in-laws will get us a baby car-seat for us so when we just arrived at the airport we can all be in the car.

I would love to ask other questions in the future after the baby is born. My wife is happy now with all of your help!

Best.