Aussies Are Drunken Louts, Says Phuket Tourist Vp

RickBradford

Mr. Bhuritt Maswongssa, vice-president of the Phuket Tourist Association, interviewed in today's Matichon newspaper about the Annice Smoel case, said that "Australian tourists are prone to behave in a rowdy manner when they have been drinking, frequently get into arguments and fights, often destroy belongings in hotels and shops so that the owners of those businesses have been forced to charge for the damage on many occasions."

Has he called it right? Or are the Aussies no worse than any other nationality in this regard?

(Original source: นายภูริต มาศวงศา อุปนายกสมาคมธุรกิจการท่องเที่ยวจังหวัดภูเก็ต กล่าวว่า นักท่องเที่ยวชาวออสเตรเลียมีพฤติกรรมค่อนข้างห่ามพอสมควร พอดื่มแอลกอฮอล์เข้าไป มักจะมีเรื่องทะเลาะเบาะแว้ง ทำลายข้าวของในโรงแรมหรือร้านค้าเป็นประจำ ผู้ประกอบการต้องชาร์จค่าเสียหายอยู่บ่อยครั้ง)

If i was going to try to generalize nationalities on who behaves the best, I would think the Ozzies would be in the same pigeonhole with the younger rowdie Brits, Irish, Americans as perhaps a little louder than most.

Then in the next box (a little more well behaved, but not the best) would be Scandinavians, Germans, French and Dutch

I think the best behaved that I've seen would be the Swiss with possibly the Canadians being second.

Not sure where i'd put the Italians, Spanish, Russians, Finnish, etc. as i have not seen so many of them out partying like this VP apparently has.

That is, if I were to be the judge from some of the ones that i've seen.

But, who has any right to judge these things? Certainly not me.

A bar owner perhaps.

A VP of Phuket dept of tourism? Perhaps not.

If i was going to try to generalize nationalities on who behaves the best, I would think the Ozzies would be in the same pigeonhole with the younger rowdie Brits, Irish, Americans as perhaps a little louder than most.

Then in the next box (a little more well behaved, but not the best) would be Scandinavians, Germans, French and Dutch

I think the best behaved that I've seen would be the Swiss with possibly the Canadians being second.

Not sure where i'd put the Italians, Spanish, Russians, Finnish, etc. as i have not seen so many of them out partying like this VP apparently has.

A bar owner perhaps.

Very sensible observation.

Lots of Ozzies come to Phuket and many can be quite rowdy after hours of drinking. Most are okay.

Wouldn't take too much notion on VP's statement. But after probably consulting immigration officers, think he has a point. Timing could be better of course.

The VP must be one very astute individual

I would think it would be difficult to tell the difference by just looking at individuals as to where they come from

Australia has a population of 21 million people, it considered one of the most multi cultural countries on earth, it has naturalised citizens from over 290 countries around the world.

Walking down the street in Phuket I defy most people to identify an Australian (Anglo Saxon as this seems to be the stero type the VP refers to) from a Britian, American, New Zealander, and majority of European countries.

Maybe he inspects there passports.

Or maybe this is a payback comment for the Bloody Beer Mat!

Fascinating insight into TAT and local psyche. Remember that thais are hereditarily and primarily farmers. they have a farming instinct for most things (including the native population)

1, I would say a big proportion of (western) tourist money goes into alcohol consumption. The prevalance of resort bars demonstrates this. The local businesses thrive on it and a lot of money goes to influential thai businesses and the government. (Thais also like to drink but average per capita expenditure is less and non-taxable)

2, Western tourists are culturally louder and appear more overtly aggressive when drunk. (to an asian) But they don't tend to go for their shooters and blaze away. It's really the overt, exhibitionist behaviour (and it's colonial after-taste) that offends Thais.

So citizens and tourist ministers of Thailand how do you want to farm your tourists?

*Bovine asian group bus tours that steal ashtrays and towels and minimise spending?

*Luxury golf tours and 5*boutique resorts only (small percentage and high maintainance)

*Sex tourism (high potential cash crop but your farm hands steal the crop)

*street drinking/low income western package tourists (aggressive and bad smelling animals but high profit)

*Backpackers (free-grazing, hard to domesticate, low meat yield)

*ask them to stay at home and just send the money? :)

*Not sure, send them all away and take time to think about it

Mr. Bhuritt Maswongssa, vice-president of the Phuket Tourist Association, interviewed in today's Matichon newspaper about the Annice Smoel case, said that "Australian tourists are prone to behave in a rowdy manner when they have been drinking, frequently get into arguments and fights, often destroy belongings in hotels and shops so that the owners of those businesses have been forced to charge for the damage on many occasions."

Has he called it right? Or are the Aussies no worse than any other nationality in this regard?

(Original source: นายภูริต มาศวงศา อุปนายกสมาคมธุรกิจการท่องเที่ยวจังหวัดภูเก็ต กล่าวว่า นักท่องเที่ยวชาวออสเตรเลียมีพฤติกรรมค่อนข้างห่ามพอสมควร พอดื่มแอลกอฮอล์เข้าไป มักจะมีเรื่องทะเลาะเบาะแว้ง ทำลายข้าวของในโรงแรมหรือร้านค้าเป็นประจำ ผู้ประกอบการต้องชาร์จค่าเสียหายอยู่บ่อยครั้ง)

Would it be incorrect to state that "Thais tourists are prone to behave in a rowdy manner when they have been drinking, frequently get into arguments and fights, often destroy belongings in hotels and shops so that the owners of those businesses have been forced to charge for the damage on many occasions."

That's rich coming from a guy that has probably not left Thailand.

Why is it so hard for Thai's to get visa's to western countries?

They can't be trusted, that's why.

Edited by katasyd

+That's rich coming from a guy that has probably not left Thailand+

Don't be too sure, I am certain he visits every trade show in the world. I go to the ITB, the world's biggest tourism trade show, and the Thai officials are very well represented there.

What I find rich is that, when working in the hospitality business, you can think what you want about your paying guests/customers; but you bloody well keep these thoughts to yourself.

+That's rich coming from a guy that has probably not left Thailand+

Don't be too sure, I am certain he visits every trade show in the world. I go to the ITB, the world's biggest tourism trade show, and the Thai officials are very well represented there.

What I find rich is that, when working in the hospitality business, you can think what you want about your paying guests/customers; but you bloody well keep these thoughts to yourself.

So true, PTA are one of the worst budget skimmers in Thailand.

Mia noi's and fortuners are rife at that office.

not into sweeping generalisations (except when i slip) and would not agree that ALL aussies are like this but does seem a high % of aussies who holiday in Phuket are like this - cheap flights?

if it offends drunk and rowdy aussies (or any other nationality) so they don't come then alls the better

Oz has it’s fair share of idiots… every nationality seems to have it’s high and low points.

The most recent obnoxious drunk I saw in Phuket was an Indian.

Now generalising about nationalities I would like to mention that I believe Italian’s in Phuket are the worst and most ignorant, self centred motorbike riders full stop. I feel they are the straw that breaks the back when it comes to not wanting to go near a road in Phuket during the HIGH SEASON.

Thankfully they aren’t riding around in LOW SEASON when I want to be here in Phuket.

Maybe there are some Israelis, Arab’s or French in that mix that I mistake for Italian as I don’t really exactly ask where they are from.

I'd like him to come down my soi any night of the week in Bangkok. When the big disco-type pubs kick out, the locals usually carry on the fights they lined up earlier inside. Only outside no rules whatsoever apply. I don't think any of them are Australian.

I do hope Khun Phurit's comments get reported in the Australian press.

I actually think this is a fair call given he said "AFTER DRINKING." I gave up drinking in 1988 after the best part of 3 years solid boozing in Bangla bars. What shocks me about drunks now is how loud they actually talk without realising they are basically shouting.

Bangla is really only the 100 metre stretch between Tiger and the Aussie Bar. So you have a lot of pissed people in a pretty small area. With the number of freelancers and Katoeys on Bangla you are getting some real seedy dudes trawling mixed with the bar hoppers.

By far the most popular thing now is people just buying beer at 7 Eleven and walking around watching the action. You see heaps of people doing this or filling up before they go out to keep the costs down. I really feel Patong nightlife is so overpriced even the die hard drinkers and bar flies are looking for ways to cut costs.

I think a very clear change is coming, the nightlife is being moved behind Jung Ceylon with a new Tiger and Boxing stadium being built. Bangla will turn into high end shops and more family friendly places. This is a must if Patong wants to fill hotels with people other than piss heads and pussy chasers.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion but there is such a thing as an informed opinion. This guy was just telling the truth.

I would like to mention that I believe Italian’s in Phuket are the worst and most ignorant, self centred motorbike riders full stop.

Yes they just love overtaking on the inside left in that metre you leave between you and the jungle :)

Then there is the Italian internet cafe user who thinks he needs to raise his voice so loud it could be heard in Rome when talking with his headphones on.

Or the arguments you hear in the morning when an Italian is ordered to pay up by a bar girl. Why me need to pay?

Yes, to me the real decline in Phuket was when they arrived, the early ones were late 80's and northerners so not so bad, but now......... :D

Actually most of the "white flag waving surrender monkey" countries are pretty bad when I think of it.

Hi All

Am new here (waves to everyone).

I am an Australian. My wife and I (and usualy some friends) visit Patong every 2 years or so.

Are all Aussies drunken louts? No!.. do many have the potential to be? - Definitely.

A contributing issue I am sure is many people not considering the differences in culture and law, specifically given the Bangla Road Environment that tourists are provided with. It does tend to give off an air of "anything goes" mentality. The Aussie bar in particular.. themed directly at Aussies pretty much says "come on in and bahave here like you do at home" - this of course is not and should never be the case.

Personally, I like to visit bangla now and then, take in the alternative atmosphere and have a few laughs and drinks... but I am generally happy to leave it behind for somewhere more peaceful or for drinks at the hotal bar!

I think the biggest offenders of loutishness would be groups... like Football teams on trips or as in this recent example even groups of women on a big birthday bash! It's just a reflection of what you find here in Australia. When people are in groups they tend to get over confident and annoying.

Take pretty much all couples from Australia holidaying in Patong and I am sure the behaviour is very different. Though I have never been one to fall for it, pack mentallity is alive and well amongst many Aussies.

We just have to remember that what may be seen to other louts as mildly funny and not worth the police force's time over here has the potential to be a much bigger deal in Thailand.

Personally, I say anyone who gets caught deserves whatever the local law governs. If a Thai national came over here to a bar, stole an item that was for sale in the bar, mouthed off at police, ran away, then mouthed off at the police in the station... they'd be in some trouble!.. it's basically shop-theft and ressiting arrest.. there is and should be no difference whatsoever!!

BTW - we back over there in 2 weeks. Can't wait! Think I may BUY a beer mat fromthe Aussie Bar just to show not all of us Aussies are pains in the bum :-)

Well if it was not for these drunken louts and cheap flights via jetstar , Phuket would be in more trouble than it already is.These thai officials are forgetting that tourists pay for their lifestyles .Phuket is now a mecca for Aussies, when i first came here years ago it was swiss and germans.Anyway what went on back then is whats going on now.Everything here in thailand is up fror sale even governors and police. I bet if the aussie media kicked up a stink about what this clown said it would not take long for an apology.

anyway ask yourselfs a question an answer it truthfully.

? If thais drank as much as Aussies brits and germans how would they carry on.?

Four weeks ago i was in pattaya and two thai men got drunk and shot at tourists from their car A german guy got hit but luckily no one was seriously injured.Apparently they done it for fun.

Thanks guys

A bar owner perhaps.

The finns are the biggest drinkers in the world,get smashed but tend not to fight much.

The finns are the biggest drinkers in the world,get smashed but tend not to fight much.

Apparently the Finns also have the highest suicide rate per capita in the world also. I find generally that all Scandinavians, of which there are a great many of both residents and tourists in Phuket, can be loud when drunk, but with no aggressive tendencies. Could be something to do with the severe penalties that their home countries impose for unsocial behaviour.

Touchy subject this....

im from UK and cheap flights from here to places like ibiza, majorca, greece etc has turned these places in to towns where anything goes during the summer .... men/women drinking way too much and shocking behaviour because of that .. i have been there there and done it and have gladly grown out of it but people fighting/being sick in the street etc happens all night every night .... i cant stand the places and when i watch TV shows like "Ibiza uncovered" i am frankly ashamed to be from UK on times...

so my point is if Phucket is the Ausies version of "ibiza" then allthough not very tactfull this guys comments may not be a million miles from the truth ...

God help thailand if someone introduced dirt cheap long hall flights from UK ..... then the guy would have something to moan about..

Having said all that i dont know what the Thai's are up to on this one ??? with tourism taking a nosedive at the moment i would have though bad press is last thing they need

Being an Aussie I think the Aussie blokes are very loud, obnoxious, rude and think their shit don't stink. The Aussie blokes I refer too are the one's on the "boys trip away". They have a "football weekend away" mentality here (which stems from the end of year football trips), so why would it be different OS. I think the Aussie couples are more composed and quiet though. Whether the Aussie's are the worst? - probably, but I think there is always a "worst" from all nationalities when a group of guy's get together with alcohol.

These thai officials are forgetting that tourists pay for their lifestyles

false sense of entitlement & reasoning -

i am a tourist

tourism provides 6% GDP*

i should be personally valued at the entire 6% (regardless of my actions)

(and remember its only 6% gdp so don't start with the 'where would they be without tourism')

They should all be thrown on a boat and sent to live on the other side of the wor... Oh, sorry, apparently that's been tried already :)

That was the Brits, stupid! :D

... and we've still got plenty. If you are running out, I'll crate up a few thousand £10 poms and send them over.

And I agree with 1927's post - cheap long haul flights from the UK would be an absolute nightmare for anyone looking to have a decent family holiday in Phuket. We've ruined much of Western Europe and are making real inroads into Eastern Europe.

I'm told that many British tourists in Pattaya are similar. I've never been and I'm not sure I want to.

i am a tourist

tourism provides 6% GDP*

(and remember its only 6% gdp so don't start with the 'where would they be without tourism')

and 80% of that 6% is asian tourists which means we contribute <deleted> all to their economy in the grand scheme of things

i am a tourist

tourism provides 6% GDP*

and 80% of that 6% is asian tourists which means we contribute <deleted> all to their economy in the grand scheme of things

Dont forget that GDP figure is a general one for all of thailand..... places like Pattaya/Samui and Phuket in all fairness are definatly relient on tourism. In my opinion that figure means nothing when you talk about these places

Dont forget that GDP figure is a general one for all of thailand..... places like Pattaya/Samui and Phuket in all fairness are definatly relient on tourism. In my opinion that figure means nothing when you talk about these places

in their current form yes - how did they ever manage to sustain such places before tourists? - oh, they didn't! - the figure covering the whole of thailand IS whats important