Does Thai Visa Ever Have Any Positive Stories?

timinchina

I've been reading various postings on this site for about a week now and I'm quite frankly amazed at the number of posts about any negative news in LOS,why not just rename it "Whingers Corner" and have done?

Does anyone actually enjoy living here? :)

yes but no one it seems is interested , try

http://www.geoffandamy.com/site/index.php?...k&Itemid=80

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Barcelona for 5 years before I moved over here,first to China and now to LOS,the chances of being pickpocketed here compared to Barcelona are miniscule.

I've spent time in Barcelona, Rome, Rio, Moscow--the last three places, at least, being known for pickpockets--and never had a problem.  I was pickpocket for the first time in my life during Songkran this year.  So I don't know about the chances being miniscule.  Both Jingthing and me within a short period of time might tend to belie your contention.

Not that I am about to castigate the entire country because of that one incident.  Heck I got into a fight in Singapore once because two men tried to extort money from me, and I doubt too many people consider Singapore a hotbed of crime.

I'm quite frankly amazed at the number of posts whinging about whingers :D

Personally,I don't like to whinge but I think you mean "whingeing",don't you? :)

:D I'm not whingeing, honest :D And on a positive note, we are both right, whingeing or whinging - it can be spelt either way :D

Should that be spelt or spelled? :D

Of course, you are forgetting "whining," which is also correct.

Personally,I don't like to whinge but I think you mean "whingeing",don't you? :)

:D I'm not whingeing, honest :D And on a positive note, we are both right, whingeing or whinging - it can be spelt either way :D

Saw this.....seems like good news:

The military budget slashed by Bt19 billion, arms procurement suspended: Anupong

BANGKOK: -- The military will suspend all plans for arms procurement in light of the austerity budget for 2010 and following a spending cut of Bt19 billion, Army chief General Anupong Paochinda said on Thursday.

The Army alone will see a budget reduction of Bt10 billion, Anupong said.

"There is no choice but to accommodate to the country's reality of hard times; there is no money and the military will have to survive without it," he said.

-- The Nation 2009-05-21

I will add that we are living in a difficult time (especially in Thailand)........posters tend to reflect that reality.

And some posters, like me, often use the forum to let off steam......sort of like a punching bag.

Given human nature, I think the forum would shut down if we did not have something to complain about.

But sometimes it can be informative.......not really negative or positive........just informative.

I've spent time in Barcelona, Rome, Rio, Moscow
Point taken. There is crime in most large international cities. Rio I think is one the most dangerous cities in the world, and yes I was violently mugged there in broad daylight with hundreds of people around who couldn't care less. Thailand is not big on statistics so I don't know how you can quantify this. However, the general consensus here in Pattaya is that things have gotten worse here crime-wise.

Dare I say it? Ok, I will: I'm here because it's cheap, not because it's good.

Yes, you may dare. But it is good enough I am sure, for the "cheap" price. Prison is even cheaper and I don't think many would CHOOSE it, though some do.

I think I have a point and that it's that you get what you pay for in this world. It's not always the case, but generally it holds. I've been here for 3 years and I've witnessed first hand what it's like to see the traditional clash with the modern. It's ugly.

The fact is no one wants to hear about the cat that stays home. The cat that ran away is much more exciting in mysterious CSI way. :)

If the cat is a Tom cat and really cute and not too greedy, please send him my way.

cute....check

not too greedy....check

but boring and peeing everywhere...still want him? :D

Not alot of good news for a long time now............ and seemingly much less in Thailand.

Then again, when was the last time you ever saw/read good news on TV or in the newspaper?

Tony Blair no longer Prime Minister :D now that was good news :)

Gordon Brown replaces him :D

Bummer!

I've been reading various postings on this site for about a week now and I'm quite frankly amazed at the number of posts about any negative news in LOS,why not just rename it "Whingers Corner" and have done?

Does anyone actually enjoy living here? :)

Positive story TFIF !

Lots of cold brown ones tonight and a little disco dancing!

That is positive news for me.......

I can't get drunk and dance like my dad and still have hot girls dancing with me in England while singing to a song i have no idea what the lyrics are except sabay sabay.... :D

I love living here....

Have you seen how good looking the waitress's are in swensens?

i had a great swim in my pool today no one wants to use it when the sun is shining....its bloody marvelous... no splashing kids...

Time to go out for some fish & chips and a pint. Now, that's positive news!

The bad news is .....Can you find a good tartar sauce with it? :)

Yes!

ok don't forget to take the pix, otherwise it didn't happen!!!

Edited by teacup

I am not one to whinge, BUT whinging is an acceptable spelling for the verb whinge + ing.

Here's a positive story.

The drinking water truck that sells the large white jugs came round today.

He usually charges me 12 baht for a large 10-gallon jug.

My wife was home this afternoon, and he only charged us 10 baht each -- the actual price.

Ain't that great!?

Sorry but I have to put a downer on this piece of good news.

When wifey found out I was charged 12 bht a jug from our usual supplier instead of 10, she normally picks it up herself, she said that we will find a new supplier as she hates dual pricing!!!!

Careful or we will be accused of whining about whingeing or even whingeing about whining.

I have a positive story!

I got laid last night :)

Unless it was a Thai related lay then that does not count as a Thai good news story does it? Merely a 'you lucky sod' sort of story.

I think it is safe to assume it was a Thai lass our man LivingInExile bagged...

I have a positive story!

I got laid last night :)

Unless it was a Thai related lay then that does not count as a Thai good news story does it? Merely a 'you lucky sod' sort of story.

I think it is safe to assume it was a Thai lass our man LivingInExile bagged...

Yes, but under what circumstances...?!

I have a new, good one.

No, not a woman.

I got a quick result on a no-no.

Had a lady from 'BKK' phone me every day for 5 weeks or so. 4 or 5 times a day. Finally got to meet her this week as she had a holiday. Gorgeous. Beautiful woman. Told me how happy she is now. Wants us to get it together.

She went back to BKK to her office job. I asked to meet her as I was going to BKK to meet an old friend.

Silence.

Phone call ended.

Huh?

Cannot meet me in BKK. Turns out she is not really working in BKK. So 5 days after meeting the woman, I discover she is a fraud. Wow!! Record time.

So there is my good story for this week :)

I have a new, good one.

No, not a woman.

I got a quick result on a no-no.

Had a lady from 'BKK' phone me every day for 5 weeks or so. 4 or 5 times a day. Finally got to meet her this week as she had a holiday. Gorgeous. Beautiful woman. Told me how happy she is now. Wants us to get it together.

She went back to BKK to her office job. I asked to meet her as I was going to BKK to meet an old friend.

Silence.

Phone call ended.

Huh?

Cannot meet me in BKK. Turns out she is not really working in BKK. So 5 days after meeting the woman, I discover she is a fraud. Wow!! Record time.

So there is my good story for this week :)

Ok mate, as long as you didn't send your life savings to the bloke in Liberia - u'll be fine.