The Never Ending Story On Visas

Being new to all this visas stuff we read lñots of good and mostly misleading info on it and, becaqme pretty confused along the way, everyone having a different opinion and slant on visas requirements.

The idea of border runs (that they are now starting to clamp down on and aim to end) really didn't appeal to us.

In these searches we were given advice by Ed at Sunbelt Asia which, amounted to "Why be made to jump through hoops here when you can apply for a 1 year visa in the UK."

No one had suggested this before so, we contacted the Royal Thai Consulate in Birmingham and - delight! They were so helpful ! We sent our passports by courier (we are not resident in the UK now) and they arrived first thing Monday morning, by 10.30am that same morning the consulate rang us to tell us our 1 year (multiple entry) visas were ready for collection.

I hear much critism of many establishments in many countries but, think none could be levelled at this effeciency.

This seems the way to go and, hope it helps some more newbies find their way through the maze.

Dave

Welcome to Thai visa.

You evidently have not posted here and asked any questions.

We probably would of suggested Hull for a multiple entry non-o visa. But Birmingham is on our list of good consulates also.

Yes. We always recommend the Consulates in the UK. Yes they do return the passport back to Spain.

Yes you do have to do a border run every 90 days. Do the last one just before it expires and you can stretch your stay to 15 months.

Not unless you are in the country you are getting the visa for.

There are many cases where you have to it because there is no embassy or consulate where you need the visa for in the country you are in.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't mailing passports to foreign countries for the purpose of inserting visas illegal?

Just wondering.

You can mail your passport to Florida from Texas :D

And passports can be sent from Spain to UK. :)

Edited by PoorSucker

BUT if the Op is in Thailand then he's <deleted>+ked as when he does a border run they will only give him 30/15 days (what ever it is now) as he will not have an entry stamp to go with his shiny new Thai visa. if he is outside Thailand and the Uk he will be ok on entry.

Allan

You can mail your passport to Florida from Texas

Nope. The honorary consulate in Florida (Coral Gables) only accepts applications from Florida residents. However, the three honorary consulates in Texas will accept applications from anywhere in the US (but I don't believe from outside the US).

Go figure.

You can mail your passport to Florida from Texas

Nope. The honorary consulate in Florida (Coral Gables) only accepts applications from Florida residents. However, the three honorary consulates in Texas will accept applications from anywhere in the US (but I don't believe from outside the US).

Go figure.

I think that was just a general statement.

There are only 2 consulates in Texas now. El Paso is no longer on the list (DC embassy website).

Thanks all and for the welcome.

Yes, realise thanks that still have to do the border runs but, I am informed that this is changing/about to change and they will be ended soon (True or not, cannot say)

Meantime, it does make life easier (I am told) to start with a 1 year visa rather than apply in Thailand. (extensions to 30 day etc)

Either way, we are committed and will do whatever and the best we can to settle there.

Dave