Pet Markets?

haybilly

My daughter wants a pet and I am wondering if anyone knows where the best pet markets are in Chiang Mai?? I have found one when making a left turn at the traffic lights just before the fork to Wualai Road [ Wualai is the right fork--just before this is a street on the left full of pretty sad looking creatures in tiny cages] I have so far only seen mainly unfortunate dogs--are there other markets with other small animals??

Whilst I don't approve of these markets maybe we can liberate one sad soul.

My daughter wants a pet and I am wondering if anyone knows where the best pet markets are in Chiang Mai?? I have found one when making a left turn at the traffic lights just before the fork to Wualai Road [ Wualai is the right fork--just before this is a street on the left full of pretty sad looking creatures in tiny cages] I have so far only seen mainly unfortunate dogs--are there other markets with other small animals??

Dear haybilly,

If you want a healthy dog or another pet I recommend you to get the info (specially for dogs) at the vetenarian.

I know a good one. PM me directly and I will give you the direct contact details. Mostly the dogs on markets and

streets are crosses in the same family. Like mother and son or niece and uncle and so on.

Good luck

EuroThai

Dear haybilly,

If you want a healthy dog or another pet I recommend you to get the info (specially for dogs) at the vetenarian.

I know a good one. PM me directly and I will give you the direct contact details. Mostly the dogs on markets and

streets are crosses in the same family. Like mother and son or niece and uncle and so on.

Good luck

EuroThai

Cheers for the reply--yes, they all looked like interbreds, but I am not after getting her a dog or cat but something a bit smaller and easier to deal with when we travel to see family etc..something that will fit in her pocket, maybe--only joking.

Anyway, have noted what you say and may well contact for vet details.

While you might be rescuing one of these creatures from the markets, you'd also be supporting the existence of such businesses.

For that reason, I'd look at the pets available from the rescue centres, such as "Care for Dogs" (just google).

If you are considering taking on a cat or a dog, I hope you are secure in Thailand and have no plans to leave the country for at least the next 15 years. Please consider this before committing yourself to the animal’s welfare.

For smaller pets, drive passed the Niyom Panich store on the left. About 1 metre up on the right there is a parade of fish and aquarium shops.

These sell, fish, turtles, rabbits, hamsters, mice, birds and all the equipment required.

If you are considering taking on a cat or a dog, I hope you are secure in Thailand and have no plans to leave the country for at least the next 15 years.

Yes, a very important consideration. You can move some pets to some other nearby countries without too much trauma to the animal, but you need to investigate the options. This research can be part of the learning process for your kid/s.

If you are considering taking on a cat or a dog, I hope you are secure in Thailand and have no plans to leave the country for at least the next 15 years. Please consider this before committing yourself to the animal's welfare.

For smaller pets, drive passed the Niyom Panich store on the left. About 1 metre up on the right there is a parade of fish and aquarium shops.

These sell, fish, turtles, rabbits, hamsters, mice, birds and all the equipment required.

I totally agree about the need for longterm committment to any animal [ my mother was a dog breeder, trainer and trials judge for many years in UK] in fact this is why I have resisted my child's requests until now, when I think she may be more able to give a pet the attention it deserves--still don't think we are ready to commit to a dog/cat though--hence the enquiry about markets dealing in 'other small animals'; the parade of stalls you are referring to is the same one that I already visited except I approached it from the other end--Wualai road end.

Thanks for the replies.

Dogs and cats are a long term commitment and giving one to a child is risky business. Most often it becomes the responsibility of the parent. Dogs will often bond with one person and can become upset if that person leaves for any length of time. Unless you are well set up in your own home and have no intention of moving out of the country for the next 15 years then I'd suggest another animal. You didn't mention how old your daughter was. Young children do not have the capacity to understand responsibility and commitment over a long time period.

I would think a hamster or pet rat would be more appropriate for a younger child. Hamsters and rats seldom live more than a few years and by that time your child will have a better understanding of looking after pets.

You can always off-load dogs at friend, relatives, a temple, etc. Come on, it's just a dog. This by the way is also the best way to OBTAIN one, i.e. let someone give one to you. I don't really understand paying money for a dog either. Come one, it's just a dog.

You can always off-load dogs at friend, relatives, a temple, etc. Come on, it's just a dog. This by the way is also the best way to OBTAIN one, i.e. let someone give one to you. I don't really understand paying money for a dog either. Come one, it's just a dog.

I don't quite agree, even if it just a dog, cat, fish or whatever... It is not a potato or bag of rice. I can agree on one thing however.. Even if it is a commitment for life it also means that it is possible that you die before the animal. And WtK, an animal can be a better friend than whatever human being.

Edited by cmjantje

How is your search going? We had a litter of kittens you could have chosen from but unfortunately they died when a neighbor was playing with fireworks in front of our house killed the kittens mother. The kittens were too young to survive on their own. Sorry to relate such a grisly story but cats seem to have a much lower status in Thailand than dogs as the idiot that did this for the most part goes unpunished. Something to consider when choosing a pet.

Edited by swain

I don't quite agree, even if it just a dog, cat, fish or whatever... It is not a potato or bag of rice. I can agree on one thing however.. Even if it is a commitment for life it also means that it is possible that you die before the animal. And WtK, an animal can be a better friend than whatever human being.

Don't take it seriously. Winnie was just yanking our chain to get a reaction. :):D:D

I have seen some good looking rabbits for sale in a pet shop on the west side of the moat. Dwarf rabbits can make good pets, smarter than you might expect, get very tame, and they can be house broken. They will chew stuff so that is the major downside. Shorter lifespan than dog or cat.

Shorter pet life span = dramas with the kids more often. I'd get a turtle or a parrot.

That is true, but at least the children get to learn about life and death. Children are remarkably flexible when they have been taught properly about death. Parrots are smart and can get quite psychotic if they don't have enough attention. Many varieties live close to 40 years. Turtles are mostly dumb though, and at least you can turf them into a slough somewhere and they'll survive.

Parrots and turtles both require special care to thrive, and if they do get proper care the parrot can live 80+ years and most turtles 40+ and will get very large. I still think a bunny would be a good pet for a girl, easy to care for. Should live for at least 5 years.