Udonthani

rambler

hi all... just had a few days at a mates house in udonthani and was lucky to stumble across a new shop that opened on the 19th of may just near the city center. very nice clean big western style deli cafe incorporating a freezer section with a great stock of euro meat products excellent sausages etc,, also imported stuff like branston ,pg tips and loads of otherbrands even oxo. i spent less than a grand and got quite a few items met the owner a pomie called jon, hes certainly sent a few dollars on the place. the place is called chern chim quality foods and well worth a visit. good luck with the venture jon. rambler

hi all... just had a few days at a mates house in udonthani and was lucky to stumble across a new shop that opened on the 19th of may just near the city center. very nice clean big western style deli cafe incorporating a freezer section with a great stock of euro meat products excellent sausages etc,, also imported stuff like branston ,pg tips and loads of otherbrands even oxo. i spent less than a grand and got quite a few items met the owner a pomie called jon, hes certainly sent a few dollars on the place. the place is called chern chim quality foods and well worth a visit. good luck with the venture jon. rambler

Please do tell where we might find this shop?

Check it out on Udonmap (Shopping Forum)

CHERN CHIM QUALITY FOOD

74/5152 ADUNYADET ROAD Map Ref O10

Tel. 086-099-1667 042-222652

Edited by sbk
email removed-sbk

Called in today and have to say I was impressed. Many of the 'unavailable' items in stock with a promise of more, they are very interested in what people want / need.

made some small purchases and settled down at home with a Pork Pie Branston Pickle and a cup of PG Tips followed by rhubarb crumble and ice cream..aaahhhhhh...

Many British items but also a lot of German meats, sausages, beers etc.

Edited by sbk

Called in today and have to say I was impressed. Many of the 'unavailable' items in stock with a promise of more, they are very interested in what people want / need.

made some small purchases and settled down at home with a Pork Pie Branston Pickle and a cup of PG Tips followed by rhubarb crumble and ice cream..aaahhhhhh...

Many British items but also a lot of German meats, sausages, beers etc.

Well I will have to discover this place in due course, having just re-located to the area. mmmmmmmmmmm pork pie and Branston.

Well yesterday I went to the Thai equivalent of Makro to have a look, its down the road from Carrefour big store has everything.

And in the freezers there are pies Cornish pasties proper sausages and the bacon is a lot cheaper

Well yesterday I went to the Thai equivalent of Makro to have a look, its down the road from Carrefour big store has everything.

And in the freezers there are pies Cornish pasties proper sausages and the bacon is a lot cheaper

whilst in udon last week i too visited the supermarket tang nee su (or something like that) . im thinking of suppling where i live locally( near buriram) thats another reason why i went to chern chim , i did mention the place to jon the owner of chern chim and he and his partner actually supply tang nee with there meat /pie products from there coldstore in bkk, and he showed me invoices to confirm this. ive been looking all over to get the best deals on stuff . the stock jon reccomended i bought from chern chim has already sold here literally withim hours of getting back and the wholesale price was about the same as tang nee but they didnt have any imported products., also i didnt get a chat and a free cup of tea and lunch at tang nee . i really hope all goes ok for jon hes done his shop out great and the product range is spot on,,,, maybe al the nice things im saying will get me free delivery - hope you read this jon.... rambler

This morning I made my first visit to Chern Chim. I was extremely pleased with what I found. Clean and nicely laid out. I bought a little of this and a little of that. icon_biggrin.gif Bought a sausage roll to eat on the way to my fitness center (you know us Americans, we love to eat in the car icon_lol.gif , the sausage roll was delicious, about 10-12 ounces, good crust wrapped around a wonderfully spiced sausage.

They also carry Nana Food Products: Italian cooking sauces & Mexican salsas, both very good, IMO.

Jon and his partner (sorry forgot your name) are nice guys. Jon told me if anyone has any special requests to let him know.

I also like the convenience of being able to go in and get a few items and be on my way in under 10-15 minutes or shorter. This morning I spent some extra time there because Jon and I talked for awhile.

whilst in udon last week i too visited the supermarket tang nee su (or something like that) . im thinking of suppling where i live locally( near buriram) thats another reason why i went to chern chim , i did mention the place to jon the owner of chern chim and he and his partner actually supply tang nee with there meat /pie products from there coldstore in bkk, and he showed me invoices to confirm this. ive been looking all over to get the best deals on stuff . the stock jon reccomended i bought from chern chim has already sold here literally withim hours of getting back and the wholesale price was about the same as tang nee but they didnt have any imported products., also i didnt get a chat and a free cup of tea and lunch at tang nee . i really hope all goes ok for jon hes done his shop out great and the product range is spot on,,,, maybe al the nice things im saying will get me free delivery - hope you read this jon.... rambler

Jon and his partner are the authorized distributor for the Udon and surrounding areas. So, I can't imagine, a business they distribute to, offering products at a lower price than the authorized distributor?

This morning I made my first visit to Chern Chim. I was extremely pleased with what I found. Clean and nicely laid out. I bought a little of this and a little of that. icon_biggrin.gif Bought a sausage roll to eat on the way to my fitness center (you know us Americans, we love to eat in the car icon_lol.gif , the sausage roll was delicious, about 10-12 ounces, good crust wrapped around a wonderfully spiced sausage.

They also carry Nana Food Products: Italian cooking sauces & Mexican salsas, both very good, IMO.

Jon and his partner (sorry forgot your name) are nice guys. Jon told me if anyone has any special requests to let him know.

I also like the convenience of being able to go in and get a few items and be on my way in under 10-15 minutes or shorter. This morning I spent some extra time there because Jon and I talked for awhile.

Jon and his partner are the authorized distributor for the Udon and surrounding areas. So, I can't imagine, a business they distribute to, offering products at a lower price than the authorized distributor?

i went back to see jon at chern chim today as a freinds in hospital in udon. things seem to be going ok for him and he had quite a lot of new items in the place, ready meals,curries,lasagne,and some great fruit yoghurt pots. i bought some beef stew and bread rolls and a loaf along with some bisto ,mushy peas and pg tips tea bags,, do i know how to live it up or what?..i ate in the deli-cafe had a scotch egg platter-the s.egg was spot on and came with a pickle side order ,potato salad and a roll very nice 120bt washed down with a huge mug of tetley tea at 30bt... im thinking of relocating !!

i went back to see jon at chern chim today as a freinds in hospital in udon. things seem to be going ok for him and he had quite a lot of new items in the place, ready meals,curries,lasagne,and some great fruit yoghurt pots. i bought some beef stew and bread rolls and a loaf along with some bisto ,mushy peas and pg tips tea bags,, do i know how to live it up or what?..i ate in the deli-cafe had a scotch egg platter-the s.egg was spot on and came with a pickle side order ,potato salad and a roll very nice 120bt washed down with a huge mug of tetley tea at 30bt... im thinking of relocating !!

I don't know where you live Rambler. But, an inexpensive Styrofoam cooler, with a block or bag of ice in it, will keep chilled items chilled, and frozen items frozen, for hours.

Last night for my dinner appetizer, I had about 1/2 the container of the Chicken Liver Pate' I got from Chern Chim, w/crackers. Umm, umm, good! Jon...whoever makes that stuff, give them my compliments. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by maxjay

I don't know where you live Rambler. But, an inexpensive Styrofoam cooler, with a block or bag of ice in it, will keep chilled items chilled, and frozen items frozen, for hours.

Last night for my dinner appetizer, I had about 1/2 the container of the Chicken Liver Pate' I got from Chern Chim, w/crackers. Umm, umm, good! Jon...whoever makes that stuff, give them my compliments. icon_biggrin.gif

HI MAXJAY. I live in a small town called Ku Muang about 30 km outside Buriram , im meeting again with jon at chern chim as he said he is considering francising his idea and a chern chim would be a great asset and business to do in or near Buriram with a francise i would be getting a ready made set up that will keep me here hopefully for life and jon has done all the leg work so to speak.i mean that in a nice way. i know hes bought into the suppliers companies who support him so as to tie up sole agent etc, smart move.. especialy for the imported products, and i certainly dont have the funds to do a place like what jon has done with all the cheese packing and other machinery.let alone the building its huge..

You live in udon i take it maxjay whats has chern chim done there? are the farangs (and thais) supporting the store ,jon seemed happy how things have gone so far but i would value your opinion as an outsider.

Good idea about the box but will have to be a big one 5555.

thats good info .

i will be returing to udon , this mounth.

i always take branston pickle , oxo, etc...

do they have piccalili and good cheese ..

best news , since 55 bht for the the £1 ..

p.s. manager of weatherspoon in pattaya,

told me they may open a place in udon .

Put a visit to this place on my things to do in Udonthani next time around, still :):D not sure of location from reading these post can some one give a name and exact location please :D:D:D Maybe be a tasty please to visit if We can find it. :D:D

Put a visit to this place on my things to do in Udonthani next time around, still :):D not sure of location from reading these post can some one give a name and exact location please :D:D:D Maybe be a tasty please to visit if We can find it. :D:D

CHERN CHIM QUALITY FOOD

74/5152 ADUNYADET ROAD Map Ref O10

Tel. 086-099-1667 042-222652

I am not that good at giving written directions...your best bet would be to telephone the owner Jon (very friendly guy), tell him where you are and he can direct you from there. The shop is located about a 5-10 minute drive from the Robinsons Mall, probably your best starting point, if you are unfamiliar with Udon.

Jon's direct #: 086-099-1667.

Edited by maxjay

• 2 weeks later...

Great place. A couple of nice guys with lots and lots of meats, sausages, pies, breads, and dried goods. Lots of single portion ready-to-eat stuff too.

A very nice and super clean place to enjoy a cup of tea and have a bite. Big screen TV and sofa. This certainly will be my regular pitstop in Udon. Good prices too. I must say I am very impressed with their 6-7 big freezers stocked waist-high with every food imaginable--an incredible variety.

Whilst in udontani today i thought i would call in and see how things are going for this new deli supermarket shop. couldnt beleive how many new products they had added spent 2000 + got some great stuff good value ,even had faggots my favs. talked again with john the owner it appears to be going quite well for him. i am financialy challenged myself but was very interested in the fact he said was going to sell franchises in the North/North East of Thailand ideal ready made bussines for anyone wants to live here and make an income as well.didnt get a business card but easy to find contact number on udonmap.com. im no way involved with the place but its a great setup worth a look.

rambler

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Chern Chim is the best thing thats happened to Udon.I was at Udon in october of 08.And it seemed to be lacking something.I believe it was Chern Chim.I can't

wait to go back to udon in December and checking out the store.

• 3 weeks later...

How long has the Carrefour been open in Udon?

Somebody told me it had only recently opened and they were on the waiting list to get a job there.

HI MAXJAY. I live in a small town called Ku Muang about 30 km outside Buriram , im meeting again with jon at chern chim as he said he is considering francising his idea and a chern chim would be a great asset and business to do in or near Buriram with a francise i would be getting a ready made set up that will keep me here hopefully for life and jon has done all the leg work so to speak.i mean that in a nice way. i know hes bought into the suppliers companies who support him so as to tie up sole agent etc, smart move.. especialy for the imported products, and i certainly dont have the funds to do a place like what jon has done with all the cheese packing and other machinery.let alone the building its huge..

You live in udon i take it maxjay whats has chern chim done there? are the farangs (and thais) supporting the store ,jon seemed happy how things have gone so far but i would value your opinion as an outsider.

Good idea about the box but will have to be a big one 5555.

Knowing my luck I would end up with the Pattaya soi 6 franchise, in amongst all the other sausage grinder competition.

How long has the Carrefour been open in Udon?

Somebody told me it had only recently opened and they were on the waiting list to get a job there.

Carrefour opened on the 1st April this year.

• 2 months later...

I visited this place last week and my observations are as follows:

Clean place and nice people

Offerings not up to my standards and I drove 350 km to buy his meats. No American , Australian, or Argentine beef. Just some frozen Thai-French beef from Sakon Nakhon. Tried that all ready to my disappointment.

Wanted to buy a ham, a whole ham, a real ham, Virginia, Tennessee, Honey, Smoked, or salted. Sorry, no have, just some very old freezer burned stuff from god knows where that had passed it's expiration date long ago.

In am afraid the guy is doomed in this market due to limited stock and limited turn over.

The pastries were less than appealing and grossly overpriced.

A big letdown for me as I crave a good steak and some quality corn fed pork for my clan.

Guess I will soon be inn the meat business.

Offerings not up to my standards and I drove 350 km to buy his meats. No American , Australian, or Argentine beef. Just some frozen Thai-French beef from Sakon Nakhon. Tried that all ready to my disappointment.

Wanted to buy a ham, a whole ham, a real ham, Virginia, Tennessee, Honey, Smoked, or salted. Sorry, no have, just some very old freezer burned stuff from god knows where that had passed it's expiration date long ago.

In am afraid the guy is doomed in this market due to limited stock and limited turn over.

A big letdown for me as I crave a good steak and some quality corn fed pork for my clan.

I have visited the shop numerous times also driving a long way and can only conclude you either went to the wrong place or you are a competitor stirring the preverbial poop.

Indeed jon and paul are nice people i agree , but your observations on the stock etc is way off the mark , i was there last Saturday they had a very well stocked meat section nothing old out of date as you say i bought a virginia ham joint and a smoked picnic ham along with some excellent ribeye steaks (from bkk not sakhorn nakorn) the bacon and sausage is the best ive had and great price too 198 per kilo !also rhubarb pie and a brandy fruitcake all of which were delicious.

I am not trying to defend the shop tho i have got to know both jon and paul quite well as i do buy from them to sell in my local area, i just dont like this kind of berating when it appears so off base and the shop is aready so popular in Udonthani.

keep up the good work jon , this part of Thailand needs places like your shop and more so investors like you in the isaan region.

Rambler

I read that you're from Ku Muang,Buriram.

Were you aware that there was a guy selling fantastic pies in Buriram for 55baht?

Udon seems along way to go to pay more!!!!

I live in Baan Nongsai between Ku Muang and Satuk . i go Udonthani quite alot got several mates there and not alot happens in our spot after dark (well ay time really.)

I do get my pies from a chap in Buriram 55 bt but also had some off Chern Chim 60 bt both very good but diferent styles . I buy all my meat joints ,sausages ,bacon ,crumbles etc in bulk from Udon . I am a lazy sod i get the ready meals there and stock up on digestive choccy biscuits and branston etc

Theres certainly alot of farangs in and around Udon at the mo , lots coming up to settle from Pattaya , a fiend has just opened abookshop there seems to be doing ok.

QUOTE (belagregro@2009-10-27 22:31:01)

For the record, Rambler. I was in the correct shop and location, I am not a competitor and I don;t live there either. I am just a customer with a pallet and a lifetime in the restaurant business for three generations.

No disrespect, but Brits would eat cow poop and swear it taste like fine chocolates. You guys just were not blessed with good food. I am from New Orleans and Memphis Tennessee. I know food, I know ham, and I know old ham from looking at this guys grey poor excuse for ham. So, enjoy and bonapitite yall.

I hope you Brits can keep him going, he seems like a nice guy in a bad business, in a bad place.

belagrego, I look forward to the opening of your authentic restaurant serving up New Orleans cuisine and Memphis style ribs and BBQ. :)

I am also an American and I like some of the offerings at Chern Chim. I always keep a few of their pies in the freezer and meats like their smoked chicken breasts around for sandwiches. Plus, a lot of their other stuff, too numerous to mention.

What I've found in my 20 years acquaintance with Thailand-10 of those years as a resident... We are never going to find food that compares to back home here in Thailand. It just ain't gonna happen. That is why I cook my own Western food.

I'm reminded of two phrases when I read complaints about Western food here in Thailand:

"You can please some of the people some of the time, most of the people most of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time."

and

"A successful person is a person who realizes he can't always get what he wants, but makes the best out of what they've got."

I'm very happy that this year in Udon, Carrefour opened and offers a wide variety of Western food items, Chern Chim opened with their offerings, and this month a very good bookstore and cafe opened ( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bookstore-Ud...ni-t306418.html ).

However belagrego, I now eagerly anticipate the opening your restaurant. :D

Edited by maxjay

• 3 weeks later...

nice to see a blunt honest post

Edited by djc45