Chikungunya Spreads

george

Chikungunya spreads

The chikungunya that has ravaged Southern Thailand has spilled over, with 13 patients detected in Si Sa Ket, Ubon Ratchathani and Amnat Charoen, an official said yesterday.

Most are rubber-plantation workers and soldiers returning from the South, said Disease Control Office 7 chief Dr Sarayuth Uttamangkhapong. He expressed concern that nine more people had developed chikungunya symptoms although they had not been outside their provinces.

Nakhon Ratchasima, which has had 92 dengue-fever patients this year, saw Muang district's Tambon Jor Hor villagers making a good use of cake tins to eliminate mosquitoes.

They placed open tins lined with black cloths in dark corners of their homes to lure the insects and initially trapped 100 per container. With the lids back on, the tins were left in hot sunlight to kill the mosquitoes, making ideal fish food. The tambon has reported no single case of dengue fever.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-24

I'm just recovering from this gawd awful illness. I had Dengue fever about two years ago and I'd have to say that the pain from this Chikungunya thing was far worse. I'm felling better today though. Yesterday the pain in my hands was so bad I couldn't even type or use a computer mouse.

I see the phuket gazette is reporting something like 84 confirmed cases with the possibility of 1000. I live in Thalang and the hospital is full! They're getting around 70 new cases per day. I went to a clinic because I as too sick to spend 4 hours in the hospital waiting room. The clinic is up market and usually empty. When I got there, there were 4 people waiting ahead of me all with Chikungunya and while I was waiting 2 more came in. This thing is spreading like wild fire.

In countries such as Singapore, having pools of water are forbidden to stop mosquitoes breeding. Unfortunately here in Thailand they are absolutely everywhere and not controlled.

This has picked the right place to proliferate itself in Asia that's for sure.

• 6 months later...
I'm just recovering from this gawd awful illness. I had Dengue fever about two years ago and I'd have to say that the pain from this Chikungunya thing was far worse. I'm felling better today though. Yesterday the pain in my hands was so bad I couldn't even type or use a computer mouse.

I see the phuket gazette is reporting something like 84 confirmed cases with the possibility of 1000. I live in Thalang and the hospital is full! They're getting around 70 new cases per day. I went to a clinic because I as too sick to spend 4 hours in the hospital waiting room. The clinic is up market and usually empty. When I got there, there were 4 people waiting ahead of me all with Chikungunya and while I was waiting 2 more came in. This thing is spreading like wild fire.

I have recently returned from the stunning island in southern Thailand - Koh Lipe - how beautiful it is but unfortunately i became ill on my 4th day on the island, had absolutely no idea what was wrong with me. It turned out to be the very nasty disease Chikungunya - Today it is 9th December 2009 and exactly 3 weeks ago today i became ill and each day feel more pain, especially my hands, wrists and feet, knees etc. I am back in uk now and have read lots of articles on this virus - too late really - as i feel there should have been warnings before my visit or even during my visit. I had never heard of this disease but obviously now realise it has been about, especialy in Southern Thailand for quite some time. Does anybody know if when this dreadful illness leaves me, will the joint pain go also?

The dam_n shame is these problems were more or less eradicated world-wide with the use of DDT.

DDT was outlawed by false claims originated by a long since deceased early day enviro-wacko Rachel Carson.

Bring back widespread use of DDT in the tropics and virtually all of these diseases will be eradicated again.

Just another example of the law of unintended consequences. A bunch of well-meaning but self-righteous nuts, through disgraceful use of the courts, cause the unnecessary suffering and painful deaths of millions of fellow human beings.

It's a travesty.

The dam_n shame is these problems were more or less eradicated world-wide with the use of DDT.

DDT was outlawed by false claims originated by a long since deceased early day enviro-wacko Rachel Carson.

Bring back widespread use of DDT in the tropics and virtually all of these diseases will be eradicated again.

Just another example of the law of unintended consequences. A bunch of well-meaning but self-righteous nuts, through disgraceful use of the courts, cause the unnecessary suffering and painful deaths of millions of fellow human beings.

It's a travesty.

Bring back ddt and wipe out 2 thirds of all mammals and birds in the world :D , it has taken the best part of 50 years to repair the damage done by ddt,without all us well meaning self righteous nuts there would not be a single bird of prey in europe, the goldeneagle and osprey population in UK was down to passage birds , and the damages done by ddt to the populations of 3rd world countries are well documented :)

It's a travesty.

go back to your vietnam war, and have a taste of it, if you even dare :)

It's a travesty.

The travesty is your uneducated post.

First, you are correct...many diseases were virtually eliminated by the use of DDT. The use of DDT has been banned worldwide for agricultural purposes. Guess the whole world is wrong and you are right. What you fail to be aware of is that DDT may still be used to control disease carrying insects.

Apparently your logic tells you that although DDT is deadly to disease carrying insects, at the same time it has absolutely no affect on wildlife?

Studies clearly show a link between DDT and cancer of the breast, liver, and pancreas. There is inconclusive evidence of a link to leukemia, cancer of the balls, , and some lymphomas.

Vietnam has had a 97% drop in deaths due to malaria...without DDT.

Oh, and by the way, over time mosquitoes became increasingly resistant to DDT.

I'd like to invite you to go to North Korea -- one of only 3 countries that still produce DDT -- buy up a good supply and suck it in on a regular basis. Come back in ten years and report on your health to us.

It's a travesty.

go back to your vietnam war, and have a taste of it, if you even dare :D

:)

It's nice to see ignorance compounding ignorance.

DDT is a wide spectrum insecticide...which unfortuneatly also kills many species of birds, mammals, and fish. It also will attack the human nervous system and in a high enough dose is poisonous to humans.

It tends to accumalate in the food chain so preditors that eat other animals tend to build up the DDT levels in their body fat.

DDT has the proven effect of weakening the egg shells of birds...so the shells are too fragile for the young birds inside which don't survive until hatching

There are other insectcides that are less hazardous to other animals...but still kill insects. They are used now instead of the "shotgun" approach of DDT.

They are used in wide scale spraying aganst mosquitos.

However, as somene pointed out....cleaning up and draining stagnant pools of water are just as effective...and that approch is being used on village and hamlet level by public health programs.

Vietnam has done a lot to organise this type of village and hamlet level programs...and diseases spread by mosquitos...including Malaria...have dropped dramatically there.

Incidentally, Cuba has taken he same approach of orgainising teams at vllage level to go around and clean up stagnant water sources. Same effect.

DDT was never dropped or sprayed during the Vietnam war. It ws herbicide called Agent Orange...used to kill brush and foiliage.... that you're thinking about.

Agent Orange was used to kill brush...not insects. Unfotuneatly it aso proved to be harmful to human beings.

But that's another story.

:D

Another nasty disease to worry about.

Hi Scott

We (tropical Australia) have been dealing with it all our lives. (Not worrying exactly-- its a fact of life for many in the world) But "nasty" is a very accurate description.

Chikungunya, Ross River virus and Dengue fever. --- spread by similar mosquitoes (predominately --- Aedes Aegypti) are all really really "nasty".

Few are aware of the reach of just the most common of these mosquito spread viruses...Dengue fever. It is occasionally and regularly fatal.

A large epidemic was first reported in Northern Australia in the town of Charters Towers in 1894–1895. There are currently an estimated 50–100 million cases of dengue infection world wide each year.

I make mention of this as prevention is vital and not difficult to achieve (to a reasonable degree) in your home environs. It is the unusual characteristics of the Aedes mosquito which makes reasonable control of the risk possible. It actually lives around/with humans. If you are bitten the breeding site will be man made and within 150 m of where you are bitten!!

What causes dengue fever?

Dengue fever and Chikungunya are caused by a virus transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes. (females only)

Is it possible to tell whether a mosquito is a Dengue mosquito?

Without a microscope, it is difficult to tell whether a mosquito is a Dengue mosquito. The general rule of thumb is that if you are being bitten by mosquitoes during the day, there is a high chance it is a Dengue mosquito. Dengue mosquitoes do not often bite at night. Not all Dengue mosquitoes carry the virus. The Aedes Aegypti msquito is distinctive as is has distinct white bands on its legs and (to a lesser degree) body.

This type of mosquito can be better identified by its behavior. Things to look out for are:

• It likes to live indoors and bite people indoors;
  • It is hard to catch; it moves very quickly, darting back and forth;
  • It likes to hide under furniture and bite people around the feet and ankles;(surface spray please)
  • Its bite is often relatively painless, so people may not notice they are being bitten.

Where do Dengue mosquitoes breed?

Dengue mosquitoes do not breed in swamps or drains. They tend to breed in containers of stagnant water inside and outside the home such as cans, buckets, jars, vases, pot plant dishes, bird baths, blocked roof gutters and tarps. If you remove these sources, your risk of being bitten by a Dengue mosquito is significantly reduced.

How do the Dengue mosquitoes transmit dengue?

Dengue mosquitoes are common but usually do not carry the virus. They acquire the virus from an infected person and can then transmit the virus to another person. The mosquito remains infectious for the rest of its life.

How can I prevent dengue fever?

The only way to prevent catching dengue fever is to prevent yourself from getting mosquito bites. There is no vaccine against the virus.

You can protect yourself from being bitten by mosquitoes by:

• Sleeping under a mosquito net;
  • Wearing long, loose clothing that covers as much of the body as possible;
  • Using an insect repellent, especially during the day;
  • Using plug in mosquito zappers;
  • Using insect spray (and surface spray please) indoors in dark places;
  • Screen living and sleeping areas;
  • Removing mosquito breeding sites such as containers of stagnant water or cover them to prevent access by mosquitoes. Check in and around your home regularly.

If you are bitten the breeding site will be man made and within 150 m of where you are bitten!!

• Removing mosquito breeding sites such as containers of stagnant water or cover them to prevent access by mosquitoes. Check in and around your home regularly.

I hope this is of some help.

Mosquito.rtf

Thanks. Mosquitoes don't really like me very well. If there's anyone else around they will eat them and leave me alone. However, if I am alone and the only meal available, I get bitten.

Had Dengue once years ago. Miserable stuff, but I did recover fully.

The more we know the more prepared we can be.

DDT has the proven effect of weakening the egg shells of birds...

So goes the urban myth and faux science that the uber-liberal left-wing courts ended up believing. Hence the travesty.

And for all of you DDT naysayers, just where the heck do your priorities lie for your fellow human beings? If it's going to be a few thousand birds or a few thousand human beings, believe me, I would want to err on the side of saving human life. For those who say the birds, then your position is truly "for the birds."

Tens of millions of human beings have died ugly, painful and fully preventable deaths from malaria and other mosquito borne diseases because DDT can no longer be used. The enviro-wacko distain for fellow human beings is utterly disgusting.

So goes the urban myth and faux science that the uber-liberal left-wing courts ended up believing. Hence the travesty.

And for all of you DDT naysayers, just where the heck do your priorities lie for your fellow human beings? If it's going to be a few thousand birds or a few thousand human beings, believe me, I would want to err on the side of saving human life. For those who say the birds, then your position is truly "for the birds."

Tens of millions of human beings have died ugly, painful and fully preventable deaths from malaria and other mosquito borne diseases because DDT can no longer be used. The enviro-wacko distain for fellow human beings is utterly disgusting.

I must be an enviro-wacko, then. I've been called worse. Seriously though, Spee has made a lot of noise on another topic, making it clear he sees endless conspiracies behind those that predict global warming. Now he's saying DDT is good. As for DDT, last I heard, there are some allowances currently for it to be used in controlled applications. When it was banned, it's likely the supplies which become unsellable in DDT producing countries, went on sale to less-conscientious countries like Thailand.

As for birds vs people: I'd opt for birds. If I could wave a magic wand which would make trashed out shantytowns disappear, and enable majestic raptors to once again circle in the sky, there's no choice which I'd choose.

Back on topic: I heard that a person inflicted with dengue doesn't build immunity. So, even if a person gets it once, he/she may get it again later. Is Dengue and Chikungunya the same, or related diseases?

As I read this second post of yours I began putting together a picture of you in my mind. Probably watches FOX News (if in the States), a conservative Republican of the Palin species, has no understanding of what a society is...I could go on. Then I read your profile page. Yuppers!

It's a travesty.

So right, Spee. The banning of DDT is just one of a long list of stupid acts perpetrated by these enviro-whackies, just wait and see what chaos will be created by the latest bunch of bed-wetters in the name of Global Warming! :)

... I began putting together a picture of you in my mind. Probably ... a conservative ....

Well, at least you got one word of it right. Thanks for the compliment.