Maxnet News Server

Jose

I called MaxNet today (Sunday) to ask for their News Server URL, but of course the skeleton staff there didn't seem to know what I meant by "News", and also didn't seem to know what a server or URL was.

Does anyone know the URL for the MaxNet News Server? If so, are login and password the same as per the normal ISP login?

Thanks.

Believe if you want a news server you either have to use a free open server or subscribe to a service for about $10 per month. Few people in Thailand use USENET anymore. Even when they did provide service here it was minimal with content about 20% (of the few groups they did offer) from my experience.

Few people in Thailand use USENET anymore.

Actually I dont know why most people who use torrents do not change to USENET. Its a far better experience and always able to max out your bandwidth 24/7 without having to rely on seeders etc. No stupid Invites to Torrent sites, No Ratios......

It has all the best content Blu-Ray/HD movies/tv/screeners/Games/Apps/music - Apparently.

Combined with a NZB provider (Newzbin, Binnews etc) and either grabit/newsleecher on Windoze or NZBDrop/Unison on Mac OS X it is simply the best way to source anything you need.

Recommended providers Giganews or better value is USENETSERVER with just as much content and at the same speeds with unlimited package. Easynews is not too bad also

All the stuff that eventually arrives on torrents all starts on USENET. Never fails to download at 420KB/s-430KB/s with 10 connections to the server on a 4mb line.

Edited by namoo

All the stuff that eventually arrives on torrents all starts on USENET

Not really true. And only a fraction of what is available on torrents is ever available on news feeders no matter how much storage they have.

All the stuff that eventually arrives on torrents all starts on USENET

Not really true. And only a fraction of what is available on torrents is ever available on news feeders no matter how much storage they have.

With reference to the most recent stuff. However I am correct that stating the people "Groups" who release the latest movies/games/apps all release first into newsgroups then they find there way onto the torrents. Hence I said STARTS on USENET.

Most providers are up to around 199 days of Binary content. Of course not to say the the binary that you want will be gone after that as stuff is constantly being re-uploaded into usenet. Most items do not just exist as 1 copy of 1 movie but there can be 100's of uploadeds of the same item each with a different expiry date.

I have never had to resort to Torrents from Usenet to obtain something - even the old stuff.

New Releases always been the case even in the early days on the transition from the BBS to the net Usenet first. Still applies today.

It is simply a better more robust and quicker method of downloading especially with Thai Internet infrastructure being what it is.

Because it is a little more complicated to setup most people head to the inferior although more use friendly torrents and of course some dont want to pay a few dollars for usenet access.

Most who try usenet do not go back to torrents its just slow and frustrating in comparison. Because u see much more content in torrents does not mean its easy to download or it may be able to download but in a very long time that just makes it not worthwhile.

Also you can download SSL should the copyright police decide to monitor the torrents and which IP's are downloading them. You have more security downloading from usenet - not that I condone the violation of copyright you understand.

Try downloading a 25gb Blu-Ray movie from torrents then try it from USENET.

Edited by namoo

Try downloading a 25gb Blu-Ray movie from torrents then try it from USENET.

If I can max out my bandwidth with torrents.. How could usenet be faster ??

I have in the past used usenet NNTP systems.. Dont currently have a sub tho.

There is no way you can max out your bandwidth with ALL torrents available - You are depending on other people to seed it and set a realistic upload bandwidth limit.

With USENET you can see something is available on a NZB site then guarantee you can download it straight away at max bandwidth 24/7 without relying on other people. The speed will not change as seeders log off or change there upload speed limits. Thats the difference.

In conclusion then. If its available on usenet you know u can download it straight away at max bandwidth for your connection. If its available as a torrent you MAYBE be able to download it straight away at max bandwidth accepting what could be massive swings in throughput during the download of the term.

Let me give you an example: Just started a download of a file on usenet its 4.8gb estimated completion time on my connection 4mb SME is 3hours 43mins. Not bad.

Let me do a search for the same file on torrents - indeed it is there also with 47 seeders (The most Seeders I could find for that particular file). Off it goes. give it some time to stabilize ok its connected to 41 out of 47 seeders which is probably by the looks of it the top its gonna get right now.

Heres the results:

USENET: 3hours 43mins until completion (99% chance it will finish in this time)

TORRENT: 29hours 11mins until completion (Maybe depending on the seeders but probably longer)

I know which I prefer.

Edited by namoo

I understand the example.. but thats if your downloading one file..

I invariably have a queue of files.. and am always adding them to the bottom.. So between ALL of what I am DL'ing, as soon as I start the torrent client with a min or so my entire connection is swamped..

So for me swamped is swamped.. Yes I might not be getting 1 movie at max speed, but between them all I am getting all my bandwidth used. In fact I am far more throttling the client back to retain useable bandwidth fro browsing.

BTW do any torrent clients have a full throttle when mouse not active mode ?? Like working flat out if the screensaver is on but throttled when the pc is being used ?? That would be very helpful but never seen it.

...BTW do any torrent clients have a full throttle when mouse not active mode ?? Like working flat out if the screensaver is on but throttled when the pc is being used ?? That would be very helpful but never seen it.

That's a good idea - maybe suggest it to the Azureus/Vuze people.

I too limit the download speed occasionally so that I can browse without my 512 kbps upload limit being swamped by P2P messages.

gallery_35489_952_37440.jpg

I wonder when the Thai ISP's wake up and put a cap on the amount of bandwidth you can consume in a month so that people stop blindly downloading anything that comes their way and consuming what little internet bandwidth we have available here in Thailand.

I wonder when the Thai ISP's wake up and put a cap on the amount of bandwidth you can consume in a month so that people stop blindly downloading anything that comes their way and consuming what little internet bandwidth we have available here in Thailand.

If you are paying for a business product such as a SME there will never be a cap on the limit.

I use Usenext, it hardly ever maxes out my connection and TV shows that I watch always arrive on torrents first.

The days when usenet had first releases are over, at best they are simultaneous.

USENEXT - Are a terrible provider. hence u do not get the speed.

Use 10 connections at any of these: Easynews, Giganews, Usenetserver.

U can sign up for 3 days at the latter for $3.00. Trust me they can all max out a connection - if you are on a quality internet provider in Thailand.

first releases are always on usenet. Check out and email any of the big names in the .nfo files you will find there reply is they upload to usenet then filter onto the torrents. Tv shows different compared to movies,dvds,blu-rays,games, apps.

You would be crazy to use USENEXT when u can unlimited download highspeed 10 connections for US$13.30 from usenestserver. USENEXT is total rip-off

Edited by namoo

Why do you say "rip off" - their advertisements are just the same as Giganews or Easynews, and I believe people in Europe get far better speeds from them than me here in Thailand.

And their client is super convenient, with previews and slideshows for pr0n pix and no manual messing with pars, and they actually have two download speeds - a lot of content is free of charge at under 1Mbps. I let a friend download tons of old music from them and it doesn't cost me anything at all. They do max out HIS connection, but not mine, the only complaint from me.

Their ads are all over torrent sites, they have grown tremendously in the past couple of years I've been using them and they upgraded their services and their servers and now they keep files for a lot longer, up to three months guaranteed ( I don't keep track, though).

I agree, usenet is great, but for speed noting beats latest Prison Breaks cached by True,

Over the weekend checked out usenet updates.

Usenestserver - didn't approve my credit card. They e-mailed me to try again as it's not their policy. Will try.

Giganews - signed up for trial period, downloaded about 9GB already, top speed was nearly 2mbps. Pricing is treaky as for SSL and 20 connections they often charge extra $5.

Like with torrents, you need to check nzb sites first, the equivalent of .torrent, then drop them into usenet client. I use Grabit for now. Best clients and best nzb sites are not free.

Went back to Usenext, upgraded my plan - 25GB per month for basically the same price, about 400baht.

Earlier usenext client versions gave a warning about increasing number of connections. Not anymore, but the maximum is only 12.

With SSL encryption the speed went up to 5Mbps, at least twice that of giganews.

With usenext the search is integrated, and, unlike on nzb sites, results can be sorted in any way you like. There's "preview" for videos and slideshows for images, and it all looks and feels a lot better than grabit.

Also browsing newsgroups is a breeze. Getting headers for just one group with grabit took over two hours before I quit it altogether. With usenext it's just click and it's all there.

Now trying to get a proper working client for Linux. Usenext has linux version but I have problems with SSL...

Never had a problem with credit cards on usenetserver. Thai, UK and even virtual visa card work. strange.

I am happy with Newzbin.com and newsleecher and NZBDrop on mac plus $13.00 per month for unlimited downloads SSL from usenetserver that max outs my 4mb SME connection here in Thailand at 430KB/s.

Depends what you are looking for I never use usenet to browse groups, download headers etc. I just use it for NZB downloading.

If you use usenet for headers, slideshow, preview videos, browsing. There are other options such as the one u mention.

Edited by namoo

Browsing groups is ok when there's nothing "on", when I'm not looking for anything in particular.

I will try to get on usenetserver again, just for the sake of unlimited download. Two week trial will give me enough time to compare it to usenext.

If I can get sustainable 2-4 mbps speeds, I'll switch to HiDef versions of movies and shows. Those are still terribly slow on torrents, but torrents still give better variety.

Example - The Mentalist episode 8. It's unavailable on usenet, there are only german versions, dutch embedded subtitles and so on. There's 16 seed torrent file, however, and it comes down at a steady 30 kbps. Not much but I'm not in a hurry.

Every show on torrents have whole season versions. On usenet those come only as dvds. Marginally better quality but dvd images are enormous. Six dvds for one season is just too much, and many are german prints and in ratDVD format. They have english audio and subtitles, thank god, but require special codecs to play.

Still, I think setting up a newsserver in Thailand would be a good business idea. No messing with CC, just sell prepaid cards like for mobile phones. You can rip off Thai subtitles off pirated DVDs so that everybody can download and watch the videos, not just farangs. Local bandwidth is adequate, and underutilised, there will be no bottlenecks in the immediate future.

The Mentalist episode 8

If it's season 1 episode 8 there are about 20 versions of it on usenet at the moment through newzbin.com has all the NZB files. I can see full season DVD's as well. 6 DVD's not that much to download takes about 3hours 30mins per DVD for me on usenetserver.

Not exactly sure how you are getting such slow speeds from giganews. Just tried my account there with a download again 427KB/s sustained exactly the same as usenetserver speeds.

Edited by namoo

These are search results from Newzleech

The first two are not videos, they are just 1kb files. The rest are German.

That is why i recommend newzbin.com. Gotta use the right tools :)

There are 27 NZB files for that episode available in usenet through newzbin.com. And that is just the single episode files does not include about another 25 NZB's for the full season DVDs.

Did a test for u. Got the episode full english no subtitles from newzbin and usenetserver. No problems. Also available in HD.

Edited by namoo

I generally find it easiest to download TV shows through utorrent using an rss feed to eztv.it . Once each show is set it will automatically download as soon as a new episode becomes available.

If you want TV shows through newsgroups try http://www.tvnzb.com/shows

Currently I am using Astraweb at US$11/Mo it Maxes out my 2Mb connection.

These are search results from Newzleech

The first two are not videos, they are just 1kb files. The rest are German.

That is why i recommend newzbin.com. Gotta use the right tools

There you go, it's like private torrent trackers - it's not enough to have a proper downloading program only.

Is newzbin paid or free, apart from needing an invitation?

I haven't tried searching for that episode with usenext, but I seriously doubt they won't be indexing their own files in their own search.

TVnzb looks just right.

I check eztv everyday, but their HD torrents are not cached locally and are very slow here.

That is why i recommend newzbin.com. Gotta use the right tools

There you go, it's like private torrent trackers - it's not enough to have a proper downloading program only.

Is newzbin paid or free, apart from needing an invitation?

I haven't tried searching for that episode with usenext, but I seriously doubt they won't be indexing their own files in their own search.

TVnzb looks just right.

I check eztv everyday, but their HD torrents are not cached locally and are very slow here.

us$3.00 a month for newzbin.

My usenext with 12 SSL connections runs at 4.2 mbps, about three times faster than giganes with 20 ssl connections, so I cancelled while I was still on trial.

Got usenetserver instead, no CC problems anymore, and so far it's just as fast. Trying to take full advantage of their trial, too.

Their unlimited package cost nearly double than my 25gb usenext, I don't think I really have a need to download that much, plus I will loose my free search and browsing options that come with usenext.

I haven't seen any adult material on free nzb sites, and browsing groups for it is a lot more fun than searching for specific titles. Usenext client has integreated one clickpreview for most filegroups, and images look like flipping pages in a regular photoalbum on the net.

How can I live without that???