Atm And The B150

middlepath

ATM and the B150

To get my B150 worth I withdrew B20000 instead of B10000 today What is the most one has withdrawen

from a ATM here in Thailand? ...My limit is $1000 in the USA so my try next time, B25000.... Anything to reduce the sting.

Thanks...

I have withdrawn cash 3 times this week without any 150 baht charge from the yellow ATM's here in Pattaya.

No doubt they are coining in the echange charges to the detrement of the other local banks. A clever strategy in thier thinking.

i love how you guys are too bothered to pick up the banks name, so it just becomes a color.

The 'yellow ones' (Bank of Ayudhya) do not prominently display the name of the bank (in English), and it is ferociously difficult to remember and spell (for Farangs).

Anyway, the human visual system processes colour information before form (recognizing letters) so it's more efficient to scan your environment for colours than names.

Amusing perception experiment. Take four cards, write the word RED one on in red ink and on another in blue ink. Write the word Blue on a third in blue ink and in red ink on the first. Use them as flash cards instructing your victim to read the WORD out as quickly as they can. It's impossible to read the blue-inked RED and red-inked BLUE correctly (without hesitation).

Edited by phaethon

i love how you guys are too bothered to pick up the banks name, so it just becomes a color.

The 'yellow ones' (Bank of Ayudhya) do not prominently display the name of the bank (in English), and it is ferociously difficult to remember and spell (for Farangs).

Anyway, the human visual system processes colour information before form (recognizing letters) so it's more efficient to scan your environment for colours than names.

I'm sure that's why they use these colours. It's not just cosmetic.

I always look for the yellow ones. At least since Kasikorn went to the dark side.

The yellow one - Ayuthaya - was no charge up until today. Now they have joined the others.

Yes i agree with this - last week my Partner asked a member of Staff of the Ayuthaya Bank who confirmed that they would be following the other banks soon. Looks like it might have been today. :)

I too wish to avoid these new charges on my USA ATM card, here is how to get cash without paying a fee.

Take your card into the bank, and request cash without going over your daily limit set in USA.

You are not limited to the 20,000 imposed by the local banks!

You give them your passport sign a few forms and VOILA! No charges and you get the same exchange rate as the ATM.

ATM and the B150

To get my B150 worth I withdrew B20000 instead of B10000 today What is the most one has withdrawen

from a ATM here in Thailand? ...My limit is $1000 in the USA so my try next time, B25000.... Anything to reduce the sting.

Thanks...

Do Thais pay the same, whatever bank?

From my Thai savings account I can withdraw up to Bt200,000 per day. Never any charge no matter what bank ATM I use while I'm in my home province of Bangkok. I think the rate outside the province is Bt25 per transaction.

The yellow one - Ayuthaya - was no charge up until today. Now they have joined the others.

Withdrew from Ayuthaya this morning and the screen said "you may be charged a 150b fee for this transaction-do you wish to continue?"..clicked 'yes' and then the new screen said 'fee 0 baht'

my statement shows a rate of 34.364 (to USD) and no fee.

Edited by bkkrox

We are not talking about withdrawing from a Thai bank!

How did you get the money in the Thai bank.........duh!!!!!!!!!!!

Do Thais pay the same, whatever bank?

From my Thai savings account I can withdraw up to Bt200,000 per day. Never any charge no matter what bank ATM I use while I'm in my home province of Bangkok. I think the rate outside the province is Bt25 per transaction.

I think all banks now charge B150 for each transaction on foreign cards.

I tried Ayudhya (yellow), Kasikorn (green) and KTB (2 shades of blue) yesterday, all same, wanted B150.

Havn't tried 'over the counter' yet. :)

From various reports from TV members here (including my own), Government Savings Bank (pink) and United Overseas Bank-UOB (blue) remain free of the 150 baht fee, though UOB may start charging it soon. ATMs belonging to AEON (a Japanese-based credit card provider here in Thailand) may also be fee-free.

There have been mixed reports about Ayudhya..... Some people are reporting their ATM screens are warning of a fee. Others are saying they've done transactions and not been charged the fee. I haven't tried them lately myself.

Thought I read something in the news about the Gov stepping in to ask banks to reduce this practice?

As far as Atm's go - I stay very clear of the Yellow Submarines - only machines in Bangkok that take your card - swallow it - without even getting a chance to put in a pin number!!!

The red one's SifiCItyBank are a close 2nd for those to avoid.

There also are a couple of other threads running on this same subject where a lot more, and more detailed, information has been posted. For those who haven't already seen them, you ought to take a look, particularly at the later pages, since they include branch and ATM location information for the fee-free banks...

One of those other threads is here...