Screwed My System Whilst Using Synapse To Install A Game!

Richb2004v2

It seems I have screwed my Ubuntu 9.04 up inadvertently. After finally getting the whole thing going smoothly thanks to advice I found here I became over ambitious and decided to use Synaptic Manager to install the game 'Battle for Westnoth'. I've successfully installed other games recently so didn't see a problem. However I am using a 901 and I think the memory might be part of the problem. The install seemed too reach 100% before I got some message saying parts had failed. Since then I've had a little 'no entry' red sign in the top right of the screen. My Synaptic no longer functions and when I try to complete installing the remaining games files I'm told I don't have enough space. I go to 'add/remove' to make space but that won't work either. I've tried searching and can not find where the other games are saved, otherwise I would manually delete some of them. I am given various sudo commands which I have tried but come to nothing. I think this might be a big one to solve. I have screen shots showing the result of trying to open synapse manager and add/remove. I've tried turning it off and on again but that never fixed it :)

post-33112-1243174254_thumb.png

post-33112-1243174323_thumb.png

It seems I have screwed my Ubuntu 9.04 up inadvertently. After finally getting the whole thing going smoothly thanks to advice I found here I became over ambitious and decided to use Synaptic Manager to install the game 'Battle for Westnoth'. I've successfully installed other games recently so didn't see a problem. However I am using a 901 and I think the memory might be part of the problem. The install seemed too reach 100% before I got some message saying parts had failed. Since then I've had a little 'no entry' red sign in the top right of the screen. My Synaptic no longer functions and when I try to complete installing the remaining games files I'm told I don't have enough space. I go to 'add/remove' to make space but that won't work either. I've tried searching and can not find where the other games are saved, otherwise I would manually delete some of them. I am given various sudo commands which I have tried but come to nothing. I think this might be a big one to solve. I have screen shots showing the result of trying to open synapse manager and add/remove. I've tried turning it off and on again but that never fixed it :)

Wow, you have a lot of problems with 'puters don't you?

The 901 comes with 16 or so GB of disc space. Is that full? Perhaps you need to get rid of some of those mp3s/movies you have.

After using your file browser to make sure you have space; follow the commands to reset dpkg.

The 901 comes with 16 or so GB of disc space. Is that full? Perhaps you need to get rid of some of those mp3s/movies you have.

After using your file browser to make sure you have space; follow the commands to reset dpkg.

I certainly do. It was pretty innocent though, as I was using the Synaptic manager :D It actually seems that I have space on my drives. I have very little installed. Its only the fact that it tells me I don't have the space when I try to download the remaining files which amount to less than 100mb.

Would that be 'sudo reset dpkg'? It asks for a terminal.

I certainly do. It was pretty innocent though, as I was using the Synaptic manager :D It actually seems that I have space on my drives. I have very little installed. Its only the fact that it tells me I don't have the space when I try to download the remaining files which amount to less than 100mb.

Would that be 'sudo reset dpkg'? It asks for a terminal.

Yes, you need to use a terminal and that command.

Ok, panic over. After a lot of forum searching and experimentation with various Sudo command lines I got the Synaptic back. Then I deleted the broken files and everything is back to normal, until the next time.

Sorry Pardner - here it is!!

BR>Jack

Just my nickel as it may save your mind - Special K is a basketcase - I have 12 O/S running & it is the only one that breaks all the time.

I wont bore you with the sordids, but simply try MDV Spring or PCLinuxOS 2009.1 or Puppy4.xx - or any other flavor.

That is simply the quickest way out of hel_l.

Kubuntu 904 is the first one in say 2 years - nothing has changed - it is simply worse with 4.xx

BR>Jack

Sorry Pardner - here it is!!

BR>Jack

Just my nickel as it may save your mind - Special K is a basketcase - I have 12 O/S running & it is the only one that breaks all the time.

I wont bore you with the sordids, but simply try MDV Spring or PCLinuxOS 2009.1 or Puppy4.xx - or any other flavor.

That is simply the quickest way out of hel_l.

Kubuntu 904 is the first one in say 2 years - nothing has changed - it is simply worse with 4.xx

BR>Jack

e

I'm not running Kbuntu. I'm running Ubuntu. I'm new to Linux but I presume there is a difference. If not and you are saying that Ubuntu is not good then I can only imagine the other OS must be very very good as I think Ubuntu is itself a great system, even with the minor problems I've had.

Kbuntu is the same system, just a different desktop, kde instead of gnome. You can try using KDE - it's in your Synaptic manager, you switch between desktops simply by logging off.

I've heard that KDE4.0 is buggy and Kbuntu still uses 3.5. I have OpenSuse with KDE4 and have no complaints about it (KDE, not linux or Opensuse herself).

The only "problem" so far is that I can't set custom font color/background on my toolbar, it's controlled only by the theme.