Foreigners With Influence...

coconutmonkey

I dont think anybody would come on here and admit to being influencial in Thailand.

I guess it is possible for someone who is influential to be a member here, but I would not bet on it.  But you are right.  If a foreigner who really had some influence was a member, he or she would most certainly not be posting to that effect here.  I have this image of he or she just sitting back and chuckling over our conjectures and opinions and thinking, "ah, if they only knew!"

I dont think anybody would come on here and admit to being influencial in Thailand.

I guess it is possible for someone who is influential to be a member here, but I would not bet on it.  But you are right.  If a foreigner who really had some influence was a member, he or she would most certainly not be posting to that effect here.  I have this image of he or she just sitting back and chuckling over our conjectures and opinions and thinking, "ah, if they only knew!"

If I had a lot of power the temptation would be to flaunt it.Remember Thaksin?

IF I had influence in Thais matters I would keep it under the radar and use it sparingly,for real important (for myself) cases,for sure not to look as a fool in an internet open forum. :)

[i don't know if he qualifies as a 'foreigner', but I'm sure that Bill Heinecke (Minor Group) could pull a string or two, if he wanted to :)

He's a Thai citizen so I think that disqualifies him.

Gave up his American citizenship years ago due to the limitations on foreigners doing business in Thailand.

I would doubt he gave up his us citizenship as both thailand and us allow dual citizenship.

Purely for tax reasons, I would expect that he did renounce his US citizenship.

He has discussed this in profiles in the media from time to time. He gave up his US citizenship and obtained Thai citizenship because of his extensive business holdings/activities in Thailand and it was much easier to conduct his business activities as a Thai national and not a foreigner. This was years ago when the US did not allow dual-citizenship. Heinecke was born in Thailand to US missionary parents so was a US citizen. At the time he obtained his Thai citizenship (this was decades ago), it was much easier to do and of course, he has basically lived here his entire life.

IF I had influence in Thais matters I would keep it under the radar and use it sparingly,for real important (for myself) cases,for sure not to look as a fool in an internet open forum. :)

Yep.

Also, let's say someone had the ear of another person high in the government, royal family, military, or business world, and they came and flaunted it here.  "Oh look at me, my best buddy is the Minister of _________, and we talk all the time over dinner, and he asks me for advice, and ....."

Do you really think that person would be so apt to "take advice" now that this come out in the open?  I know if I was the Minister of _________, and my "good friend" flaunted our relationship in public, I would be thinking twice about how good of a friend that person realy is to me, and whether he or she likes me for my position more than for true friendship.

If a TV member really does have influence in Thailand, he or she is not going to be telling the rest of us about that here in the forum.  Although, rabid curiousity on my part would want to know, except for obvious cases such as an ambassador or such, the story in back of how that person attained his or her influence.  I think it would be fascinating.

Edited by bonobo

Not quite on Topic but may be interesting to some.

Henry Alabaster, 1836 – 1884, was a British Consular official in Siam who married a Thai woman named Perm. He later worked for the then King of Siam and was responsible for developing the Thai Postal system. He was also involved in the surveys for several important roads in Bangkok including Charoen Krung (New Road).

The family is still here under the Thai name “Savetsila” – meaning “white stone” in Thai, a translation of Alabaster.

The most well known, current member of the family is Siddhi Savetsila who has been Thai Foreign Minister and is still a Privy Councillor.

Patrick

I don't know if he qualifies as a 'foreigner', but I'm sure that Bill Heinecke (Minor Group) could pull a string or two, if he wanted to :)

Gave up his American citizenship years ago due to the limitations on foreigners doing business in Thailand.

He gained Thai citizenship in 1991 and though I have heard he gave up US passport cannot find anything to confirm that. In 1991 it was possible to be a US-Thai dual citizen.

I do know that neither of his sons have Thai citizenship. At least one of his sons is married to an American. He is still active in the American Chamber of Commerce.

TH

I don't know if he qualifies as a 'foreigner', but I'm sure that Bill Heinecke (Minor Group) could pull a string or two, if he wanted to :)

He has discussed this in profiles in the media from time to time. He gave up his US citizenship and obtained Thai citizenship because of his extensive business holdings/activities in Thailand and it was much easier to conduct his business activities as a Thai national and not a foreigner. This was years ago when the US did not allow dual-citizenship. Heinecke was born in Thailand to US missionary parents so was a US citizen. At the time he obtained his Thai citizenship (this was decades ago), it was much easier to do and of course, he has basically lived here his entire life.

Let's have a citation on the interview where he is quoted as saying he gave up US citizenship. I know in private conversation he admits to being a dual national.

In fact the US gov't makes it very difficult for its citizens to renounce citizenship. It's seen as a tax dodge attempt. Burn your passport, send it back to the State Dept, but once a citizen, always a citizen unless you go through a complicated procedure and pay taxes for at least 10 years after announcing your decision.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/8...u-s-citizenship

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_776.html

Dual Nationality:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_...s/cis_1753.html

"In fact the US gov't doesn't allow its citizens to renounce citizenship. It's seen as a tax dodge attempt. Burn your passport, send it back to the State Dept, but once a citizen, always a citizen."

Not true, not true at all.

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_776.html

You're right. I edited that statement right after double-checking, but you beat me to it :)

Agreed.

Also, I doubt that many foreigners are really influential here in Thailand. IMHO the Thais seem to automatically respect some one with official power (foreign ambassadors and government agencies.) I doubt that much influence passes on to other foreigners. For the most part the Thai elite is not very open to sharing power with anyone outside their group. If they don't share power with their fellow thais, they would be less inclined to share with foreigners. I'm sure it happens but probably not very often :)

My fear, is that there are those that have big guns and small brains, that live up country in some shack eating somtam while chasing chickens around the Moo Baan, those who from time to time, have a desperate need to visit TV and litter the place with constant comments about 'rich girls and TV members' while he sits in his underwear wondering to himself, where did it all go wrong?

Hahaha...... :D

James, you are so wicked..................... :)

Thanks mate, coming from you I will take that as compliment. But must say, you are partly correct, my Mrs is Chinese Thai - but not rich - dam_n it.

Ahh James, don't be so modest mate, your wife may not have been rich before but now she is married to you she has reaped a rich reward! BTW when are you arranging the next iteration of the TV Bangkok piss up? Apologies for missing the last one. :D

My fear, is that there are those that have big guns and small brains, that live up country in some shack eating somtam while chasing chickens around the Moo Baan, those who from time to time, have a desperate need to visit TV and litter the place with constant comments about 'rich girls and TV members' while he sits in his underwear wondering to himself, where did it all go wrong?

Hahaha...... :D

James, you are so wicked..................... :)

Thanks mate, coming from you I will take that as compliment. But must say, you are partly correct, my Mrs is Chinese Thai - but not rich - dam_n it.

Ahh James, don't be so modest mate, your wife may not have been rich before but now she is married to you she has reaped a rich reward! BTW when are you arranging the next iteration of the TV Bangkok piss up? Apologies for missing the last one. :D

Hi Midas, my mrs may look at it another way - what did she do wrong in her last life to end up with me in this?

As for the BK P-up, it's about time again. Maybe will start a topic on it soon.

Edited by bkkjames

" . . . and pay taxes for at least 10 years after announcing your decision."

No, this is the case only for relatively wealthy taxpayers (speaking loosely, net worth over $2 million or average annual tax liability of $127,000 or more), or for those who spend more than 30 (in some cases, 60) days/year in the US after renouncing citizenship.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...d=97245,00.html