Internet Banking

I recently applied for E-banking services from Kasikorn Bank from a US address.

I downloaded the correct forms, filled them out and sent them in with a signed photocopy of my passport.

I later received an email from them regretting to inform me that I was denied.

The reason was that there is a government regulation that I must be residing in Thailand with a proper visa. It never stated this on their website or on the application form, so I am curious if the regulation is real.

To me it seems that online banking would be one of the most key advantages for someone like me who lives abroad part of the year. Maybe I will have to do it when I am physically there in Thailand with my next non-imm visa.

why not use the internet banking facilities of your US bank, you should be able to transfer money to LOS that way, if thats what you want to do

Don't believe that is the reason he wants Internet banking in Thailand and do not believe most US banks allow money transfer overseas via Internet in any case. Mine does not.

Internet banking here in Thailand has been under very tight control, especially for foreigners, and do not doubt bank provided poster current policy. I believe most banks do not allow approval unless the paperwork is delivered in person but things have been getting easier so perhaps I am behind the times on that.

I am trying to track deposits made into my account that are made from within Thailand. At the moment I rely on my wife to head into town, about an hour's drive for her, to update my passbook each month. I then call her and she tells me what is in the passbook. I'll just keep doing it this way until I am in Thailand next for an extended period and have time to set it up properly. It just seems odd that even on the application form it shows an address where to mail the paperwork,

but then as Lopburi has stated, some banks require in person application.

I am trying to track deposits made into my account that are made from within Thailand.

I'm in a similar position... and I'm here full-time (at least, as long as my work permit and employment contract gets renewed).

Part of my salary gets paid into my Kasikorn savings account, but unless I keep a regular record of my balance at ATM's, I never receive a bank statement so internet banking looks like a good option to keep tabs on my account.

Is the Kasikorn internet banking facility in English?

I am trying to track deposits made into my account that are made from within Thailand.

I'm in a similar position... and I'm here full-time (at least, as long as my work permit and employment contract gets renewed).

Part of my salary gets paid into my Kasikorn savings account, but unless I keep a regular record of my balance at ATM's, I never receive a bank statement so internet banking looks like a good option to keep tabs on my account.

Hi,

Nope, its all in Thai......

GF and I both have accounts there, but only the GF has the internet thingie.... good enough for me as she can controll both.

just my 2 satang

why not use the internet banking facilities of your US bank, you should be able to transfer money to LOS that way, if thats what you want to do

do not believe most US banks allow money transfer overseas via Internet in any case. Mine does not.

Lopburi, I transfer money from my US Citi account to Kasikorn (and other banks), via the internet on a regular basis, without ever having any problems.... Or am I missing something in what you said?

No, you marvelous specimen of condescension :o -- get real, amigo. Its in Swahili only! :D

Don't believe that is the reason he wants Internet banking in Thailand and do not believe most US banks allow money transfer overseas via Internet in any case. Mine does not.

Internet banking here in Thailand has been under very tight control, especially for foreigners, and do not doubt bank provided poster current policy. I believe most banks do not allow approval unless the paperwork is delivered in person but things have been getting easier so perhaps I am behind the times on that.

Bank of America does and so do many others -- its standard procedure via a form called RECURRENT TRANSFERS which one fills out once and leaves a set of instructions -- therein must stand the name and account #s, SWIFTs of all receiving banks etc. All changes thereafter MUST be done in poy-son!

Standard $45 fee in many cases will drop to 25 per shot if the transfers per year ae more than (?)

The fee is totally waived if you have more than a certain amount (tao rai kap?) in your account (average balance) or, if you're related to Kreon, the bank will pay you $50 per shot to honor them with your transfer. :o

And no, you are not behind the times -- Thai banks require the "in person" mode!

:D:D

do not believe most US banks allow money transfer overseas via Internet in any case. Mine does not.

Lopburi, I transfer money from my US Citi account to Kasikorn (and other banks), via the internet on a regular basis, without ever having any problems.... Or am I missing something in what you said?

I believe most require phone or fax rather than Internet to transfer to foreign accounts. I know some do but my bank requires a signature or recorded phone conversation using passwords to authorize such a transfer and have seen others say the same. Can see someone doing this at an Internet cafe and the next customer cleaning out his account. :o

Hi,

GF and I both have accounts there, but only the GF has the internet thingie.... good enough for me as she can controll both.

just my 2 satang

I guess my Thai has improved immeasurably without me knowing it :D:o

Kasikornbank internet banking is available in English. When you log in, just click the "English" button at the bottom of the log in box. (It's the one that is written in English :D )

I believe most require phone or fax rather than Internet to transfer to foreign accounts. I know some do but my bank requires a signature or recorded phone conversation using passwords to authorize such a transfer and have seen others say the same. Can see someone doing this at an Internet cafe and the next customer cleaning out his account. :o

I can understand security issues, but Citi is very easy to use online for overseas wire transfers. A few years ago, my old Redwood Bank required a fax with sig the first time, then a quick call to the manager sufficed...

Now, even my two stock brokerage accounts both have an online facility to wire money overseas...$20US. I use them regularly, and have never had any problems... But, you must pre-register the info, like the address and ABA number for NYBank (transfer agent), as well as the SWIFT code here.

And Paypal? Don't they have an online system for overseas wire transfers? Albeit expensive fees, as I recall.

I suspect the slow acceptance of Internet banking for transfer for my bank and probably others dates to the old 40 bit security restrictions imposed by the US Government for overseas use. They probably don't know that era has long passed. :o

I guess my Thai has improved immeasurably without me knowing it :D:o

Kasikornbank internet banking is available in English. When you log in, just click the "English" button at the bottom of the log in box. (It's the one that is written in English :D )

Well done then.....

When we applied in december 2003 it was not the case, and since then I have not bothered to look as my GF handles all moneytary matters here.

just my 2 satang

You might have other options to the passbook update.  Can you get enough information using the phone banking number?  If not perhaps they have an ATM mini statement option on machines closer to your wife?

I can use the auotmated phone system to get a balance only. It dosen't give any list of the past 5 or 10 transactions or dates. She will never have access to my ATM, no way.

Hi,

GF and I both have accounts there, but only the GF has the internet thingie....

good enough for me as she can controll both.

just my 2 satang

Kasikorn internet banking and phone banking are both available in english, on phone banking you can also get a statement faxed direct to your fax machine