Cheap Place To Stay In Songkhla.

Hi guys,

need a cheap place to stay in Songkhla while doing some border runs.

Going to LOS on the "free" visa for 3 months, but will then need to do up to 3 border runs. As my TGF is keen on the beach, I thought staying at Songkhla and taking the bus down to the border every couple of weeks would be the cheapest option. However, as by this time I will be seriously financially embarrassed I need somewhere cheap, but on or near the beach. In Pattaya I can get a reasonable room with TV, ensuite bathroom, hot water shower, fridge etc for 3000 a week. Can I expect to find similar in Songkhla, or without the mod cans for less? Cheaper the better, but not a hovel, thanks.

Any opinions on the suitability of Songkhla as a visa run base?

Thanks for any helpful answers.

I've been boycotting ThaiVisa lately (due to the repeated censorship exercised by certain mods who are on their respective power trips...) but I will respond to this request for the benefit of the OP and any others.

First, note that if you are planning to stay by way of the visa-exempt stamps, remember that they are good for only 15 days at a stretch now. So plan accordingly.

Here are some suggestions (I do not endorse any of these places, since I chose to live in Hat Yai instead after seeing what was available):

--------------------------

Chop-Mukda Apt.

1/3 Sri Suda Rd.

Tambol Boryang

Muang Songkhla

Rent: 12,000B/mo.

Electr: 5B/unit

Water: 200B/mo.

Wireless broadband: yes

Notes: 2-Br apt with separate kitchen; furnished; not near food stalls nor the beach; maid and laundry service available but waaay over-priced; no elevator

Nappakao Mansion

10 Sadao Rd.

Muang Songkhla

Rent: 5300B/mo

Electr: ?

Water: ?

Wireless broadband: ?

Notes: Newer 6-story building w/ elevator; nicely furnished room; maid and laundry service are probably available; 24 hrs security; air cond.; not near any food stalls BUT this place is only about 2 blocks (l o n g blocks) to Chalatat Beach, where a few scattered food vendors are available.

ChokDee Inn

14/19 Vichienchom Rd.

Muang Songkhla

Rent: 4000B/mo. (air cond.)

Electr: 6B/unit

Wireless broadband: no

Notes: Walking distance to some food stalls, stores, 7-11; not near the beach; laundry service probably available; drab rooms with no view

ChokChai Apartment

49/15 Vichienchom Rd.

Muang Songkhla

Rent: 4000B/mo. (air cond.)

Electr: 6B/unit

Wireless broadband: no

Notes: This is more or less right across Vichienchom Rd. from ChokDee, so same walking distance to food stalls, stores, 7-11, etc; not near the beach but right on the harbor (and also right next to a noisy seafood processing plant); laundry service probably available; drab, cramped rooms with no view and no ventilation

I'm sure there were others that I missed when I did my search but decided early on to opt for Hat Yai with all that it has to offer.

If you want phone numbers and email addresses of any of these places, PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, both of the Narai's are okay (side by side). An air-con room with cable tv will cost about 250 baht per night; less for fan. If you're planning on making three border runs, why not just take one trip to Penang for a tourist visa? Vans from Hat Yai or only 300 baht. The trip from Songkhla to the border and back takes a good 7-8 hours - it's not fun.

Yep, both of the Narai's are okay (side by side). An air-con room with cable tv will cost about 250 baht per night; less for fan. If you're planning on making three border runs, why not just take one trip to Penang for a tourist visa? Vans from Hat Yai or only 300 baht. The trip from Songkhla to the border and back takes a good 7-8 hours - it's not fun.

WOW 7 or 8 hrs is that on foot or what? I can make it to the border driving in an hr (from Songkhla). Take a taxi it is a little more expensive but would save time over the bus. If I was doing the border runs Songkhla would be my base.

WOW 7 or 8 hrs is that on foot or what? I can make it to the border driving in an hr (from Songkhla). Take a taxi it is a little more expensive but would save time over the bus. If I was doing the border runs Songkhla would be my base.

Unless you go by taxi, you have to go to Hat Yai first, which adds a good 2-3 hours to the trip. Then you have to wait around for a bus/van once in Hat Yai and then again at the border - it's a very long day to be sure.

Of course a taxi straight from Songkhla is the best bet, but that's pretty expensive and he said he'll be low on funds. I've seen prices that say 1,100 baht from Dannok to Songkhla, but I'm assuming that's only one-way.