Thai Passport

I have several questions maybe someone in the know or has been through a similar experience can help.

My daughter is 2 years old and was born here in Bangkok, Thailand. My wife and I split up in October 2004 after making each other completely miserable. My daughter is with me and I have been taking care of her. Have not heard from my wife now for over 3 months and that is fine with me. I explained this to Thai Immigration and have a one year extension based on support of my Thai daughter.

However, I would like to take my daughter to the US for 2 weeks and visit my family. She has a blank US passport, but I really would like her to also have a Thai passport.

What are the recommended steps and time period I should expect when going though a lawyer? My daughter was not added to my wife's house papers and I realize that is a problem. Also, my wife is gone and her signature is needed on the passport application or statement approving this.

Has someone else been through a similiar situation and can advise or let me know what to expect with how long this will take to get resolved in court due to her abandoning us?

You could open a court case to ask the court to nullify your Thai marriage on the grounds that wifey has abandoned you and the kid. But I believe that you must wait 12 months [from the date she disappeared]before the court will accept the case.

If you can prove that she has left you, you will get a divorce certificate from the court/Amphur. You should also ask the court to be the custodian for the kid. The court could propably also instruct the Amphur to include the kid in the House registration.

Divorce certificate, court papers, Tambien ban (house registration) and the kids birth certificate would be the legal documents the Thai Foreign Ministry would need to issue the kid a Thai passport.

I am not a lawyer, this is only my 2 baht worth. I guess this is a quite complicated case becuase you are a foreigner. You might need to greese the wheels a bit.