"King Power" in Bangkok Airport

A Sony T3 for Baht 19,990.

I told the Salesman - they are Bht 1,000

cheaper than that in Town!

And this is Duty Free?

He claimed there were three different models

but on my return to Bangkok - I cannot

find them !

I wish to take the matter up with King Power.

Has anyone any advice?

Where can I find out the Rate of Duty on a Digital Camera?

Should I complain to the Tourist Board

or does someones past experience show

THAT to be a waste of time?

Bill

Years ago I bought a Sony walkman and a Sony video camera from Carrefour within months of each other. Both were more expensive in King Power. Only by about 500 baht for one and 1,000 baht the other.

Exact same models but I don't know if the duty free ones were made in Thailand or Japan.

Complain about what...? That you bought something that you knew could be had at a cheaper price elsewhere?

The King Power duty-free stores have never had a reputation for offering good prices.

Edited by ovenman

Complain about what...? That you bought something that you knew could be had at a cheaper price elsewhere?

hahaha! very good point!

it seems to be most favorite reason for all complains: ppl like to complain about decisions they make/made themselves.... :o

This has been a long time question for me. What is a duty free shop? I have never seen them selling anything that is cheaper than in town. Well probably except cigarettes. So I always thought the only people who will buy things there are the ones who don't really care how much they cost.

Sorry - slightly different subject.

Am I right in remembering that there's a Duty Free shop available to arriving international passengers at Don Muang - and a reasonable choice/prices? Just want to pick up some cigarettes & booze - and London Heathrow's usually a rip-off.

Thanks.

King power in my book, is a complete rip off, only bought one item off them and never again, in Bangkok airport in November, my Thai stepdaughter rang me from the UK, Dad can you get me a Sony Network mp3 walkman, went to king power paid 19,900, baht, works out at £276, you can buy one in Bangkok for less than this, and in the UK about the same, so they are no cheaper than stores in the shopping malls, will not be using them again.

Am I right in remembering that there's a Duty Free shop available to arriving international passengers at Don Muang - and a reasonable choice/prices? Just want to pick up some cigarettes & booze - and London Heathrow's usually a rip-off.

Thanks.

Everything in the UK is a rip off, wait untill the euro comes, it will be far worse.

Thanks.

Everything in the UK is a rip off, wait untill the euro comes, it will be far worse.

Tend to agree on both counts (examples from decimalisation and just about every country that joined the Euro).

But - is Duty Free available to arriving passengers?

All duty free shops are not what they claim to be. They have to make a profit and no doubt are charged exhorbitant rents. Having said that, compared with Heathrow, virtually all South East Asian airport duty free shops are a bargain for cigarettes and alcohol. I regularly buy 200 Marlborough in the baggage hall upon arriving in Bangkok for 480 baht, which apparently is not much cheaper than the shops in Thailand, but compared to Heathrow, last time I checked , over £23 (1700 baht), it is a real saving. For those who hold them, I found out when I left Bangkok Airport last month, that you can get a 5% discount from King Power if you show them a Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus card when you pay for your purchases.

Bobrcb

why not buy your camera/perfumes in a shop that handles vat reclaims for tourist :D

works for me all the time, bargain hard and on top pick-up another 7% :D

i bought a perfume for 2,100bt, at airport 2,200bt and picked up about 135bt on the vat return, so price was +/- 1,960bt, obviously i had a few items more :D

au revoir :o

Bt 2,800 for 3 x big (litre)bottles of Johnnie W Black in a nifty gen. leather Executive briefcase.....good value.(for hiding new laptop)

One bottle in the smoke is @ £28 each and the same deal at Thief-row Airport about £65.(incl.gen.leather......etc)

Last time got a similar good one but with a rucksack and a couple of Big Chivas Regals.....

Ref the Hein.....free in the Lounge.......got-the-geer :o

why not buy your camera/perfumes in a shop that handles vat reclaims for tourist :D

works for me all the time, bargain hard and on top pick-up another 7% :D

i bought a perfume for 2,100bt, at airport 2,200bt and picked up about 135bt on the vat return, so price was +/- 1,960bt, obviously i had a few items more :D 

au revoir :o

I thought the minimum VAT refund was 5000baht, at least it says so in all the shops, in the VAT refund office and elsewhere.... :D

But - is Duty Free available to arriving passengers?

There is a duty free in the Baggage Reclaim Hall but it mainly sells alcohol and is Very, very expensive.

Much cheaper going to Carrefour, Tops or the like :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Thanks for the info/tip johnh101 (& bobcrb). I'll save myself the carrying hassle and pick up the poisons with the rest of the supermarket stuff.

Everyone else can get back to their gripes now......... :o:D

Thanks to everyone who addressed my post.

Tax Refund is for Tourists

You cannot claim it if you are on Non Immigrat Visa

To the guy who "stole" my thread LOL

The Two arrival Halls - Terminals 1 & 2 - which you can walk between

before going thru Customs has several Duty Free Outlets

I always buy a Bottle of Liqueur - Tia Maria, Cointreu, Grand Marnier etc - they ARE cheaper than in town

So it will be worth at least Looking ...

To the Smart Arxe who said why did I plan to Complain after knowingly

buy something more expensive - I planned to buy it there - to use on my trip - thinking (wrongly) that it would actually be "Duty Free"

Bill

To the Smart Arxe who said why did I plan to Complain after knowingly buy something more expensive - I planned to buy it there - to use on my trip - thinking (wrongly) that it would actually be "Duty Free"

That Smart Arxe would be me... I never said that you don't have a point about the duty free stores being expensive at Don Muang (they are). I just don't see what sort of complaint one can make after purchasing something there while knowing that the same item could be bought cheaper in-town. Duty free is not synonymous with cheapest.

Many of the shops in the transit area at Changi Airport in Singapore offer a guarantee that their prices are as good as any found at a reputable dealer in Singapore proper. The shops at Changi I refer to are not necessarily the duty free shops. Until the King Power stores offer a similar guarantee (don't hold your breath waiting), there's not much one can do other than not shop there. As long as people keep buying from King Power at their current prices, what incentive do they have to change?