Poipet To Siem Reap (cambodia)

I wanted to get someone's latest adventure at the Poipet border. I want to go to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat. I want to use an 'association' taxi. A few questions:

1) Once I exit Cambodia immigration (at Poipet), I walk toward the traffic circle. I than pick up a 'free' government shuttle bus to the new bus station (transport depot). How can I identify the 'government shuttle'? I assume there are lots of touts there that will confuse the situation.

2) Once at the depot, are all the taxi's there 'association' taxis? Do I need to looks for specific people that can be identified as part of the 'association'. I think the rate is set at $45 to Poipet.

3) For an 'association' taxi, I should still pay after I arrive at Siem Reap, even though the taxi may request it in advance?

4) When the taxi transfers me to the tuk-tuk just outside Siem Reap (part of a scam), can I wait and pay the tuk-tuk after they deliver me to my hotel (which I will have a reservation). I don't think the taxi will take me directly there, even though they say they will.

I heard the road is now completed. So the taxi should take about 3 hours.

I did this trip about a month and a half ago, I can say that the road was very nearly finished and the trip was pretty fast, there was one stretch in the middle that was still being surfaced but most of that may well be done now, so yes good chance the road is finished.

Some notes, I got a bus from mo chit (bangkok bus station) that took me right to the border at Ronglua Market, meaning I missed out on the tuktuk's at aranyprathet, if you do end up in aranyprathet they will inevitably ask you if you have a visa for cambodia, whether you have one or not, say that you do and don't let anyone else in the tuktuk but yourself and anyone travelling with you. Had some friends who got taken too a 'special visa service' and there wasn't much they could do about it since the tuktuk wouldn't take them anywhere else and they were in the middle of nowhere. So always say you have the visa.

If you are applying for the visa, the guards will probably ask for 200 baht over the official fee, I refused to pay and got away with it, but then I was the only one there, I got there just after the border opened which maybe means I got away with it, if there's a queue you might not...

On the cambodian side, frankly it was a bit of a nightmare, I ended up getting taken be a tout who arranged for a car, I don't know if it was association or not, I ended up paying $20 for the front seat. You definitly SHOULDN'T pay until you get to Siem Reap irrespective of the service your going with that way they have an incentive to actually get you to your destination!

At Siem Reap I was dropped off with the TUKTUK he wasn't trying to scam me with a particular hotel, instead he wanted to take me around Angkor wat. I paid him $2 to take me to somewhere near bar street, hotel he took me too wasn't a scam and was o.k.

One more note I'd add when your there if your arranging a tuktuk to go around angkor and your doing a multiday package, make sure you know what the price is in advance, I was quoted $35 by the driver and this magically changed to $55 when it came to pay, I'd recommend you get him to write it down so there are no misunderstandings.

Plus visit Tonle Sap lake, the floating villages there are well worth a visit.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the comment. I read up more on this and found out the 'association' taxi's at Poipet are run by the mafia. So there isn't much of a chance to negotiate. I think the rate is $60 per taxi. The taxi holds four, so $15 a piece if it is full. The taxi drops people off at a tuk-tuk just outside of Siem Reap so the tuk-tuk can take the people to a commissioned hotel (so you probably paid a few dollars more).

I heard about the visa issue from Aranyprathet to the border. The tuk-tuk will take people elsewhere, but insist on going to the Rongklua Market and get the visa at the border. I don't mind paying $20 US + 100 baht extra, but I will probably have to hear an earful first.

My main worry is the taxi. I think I will need to meet some people at the border or just wait until the taxi is full. I heard the bus from Poipet to Siem Reap is really slow and corrupt.

Even with all the hassles, I heard that Angkor Wat is well worth it. I hope to take some nice photos.

I was quoted $35 by the driver and this magically changed to $55 when it came to pay, I'd recommend you get him to write it down so there are no misunderstandings.
Excellent advice, though of course it's not a misunderstanding, just sleazy Poipet SOP. Even if you have the price written down you should still be ready for the guy to try to inflate it once you reach your destination. Give him exact change and walk away.

It's a shame about Poipet -- the worst possible introduction to Cambodia. Over 15 years I've never had these kinds of problems anywhere else in the country.

Thanks for the comment. I read up more on this and found out the 'association' taxi's at Poipet are run by the mafia. So there isn't much of a chance to negotiate. I think the rate is $60 per taxi. The taxi holds four, so $15 a piece if it is full. The taxi drops people off at a tuk-tuk just outside of Siem Reap so the tuk-tuk can take the people to a commissioned hotel (so you probably paid a few dollars more).

I heard about the visa issue from Aranyprathet to the border. The tuk-tuk will take people elsewhere, but insist on going to the Rongklua Market and get the visa at the border. I don't mind paying $20 US + 100 baht extra, but I will probably have to hear an earful first.

My main worry is the taxi. I think I will need to meet some people at the border or just wait until the taxi is full. I heard the bus from Poipet to Siem Reap is really slow and corrupt.

Even with all the hassles, I heard that Angkor Wat is well worth it. I hope to take some nice photos.

I think if you think about it, the tuktuk has far more to gain by being the first tuktuk you meet and arranging you to go around angkor wat, 2-3 days at the going rate is worth far more to him than the handfull of dollars he probably gets for taking you to an overpriced hotel.

As for the border have to be honest it's genuinely a nightmare on the cambodian side, as others have suggested the least pleasant introduction to cambodia possible, the taxi I got had about 8 cambodians in the back by the time we got to Siem Reap, but I got the front seat to myself so I didn't have anything to complain about really.

Cupla years since I did the trip.

Backpackers in BKK arranged for mini-bus to Aran, and on to Siem Reap, forget costs now,.

Cost $US15.00 for visa arranged whilst having munchies.

They dropped me off at border, and passed thru without a hitch.

Picked up by a scruffy, but OK bus and bounced our way to Siem Reap, road a nitemare.

Arrived after dark, was allocated to a scooter driver who dropped me off at my digs. Just tipped him, no charge asked.

Next day I used a tuk-tuk from outside where I stayed for a bit of a run around SR. Gave him $US5.00 he asked for 4.

Bargained with him for a full day at Angkor Wat, he came down from $US25 to 15.

He gave me a great days outing, took me where I wanted and more, was always waiting at exits to the sites I was visiting.

Gave him 20......... one day was sufficient for me.

Lake Tonle Sap well worth the time to visit, never seen such poverty and bad conditions for living.

I was going to bus to Phnom Penh , but was talked into the boat trip.

Whole trip quite an adventure.

Take small US notes, Baht is accepted everywhere.

Back to Tonle Sap, exhilarating ride, try it if it suits your travel, if not too late.

Good luck.

Edited by Zpete

I drove a couple of months ago from SR to Palin border which in my opinion is a much better border crossing, No mafi, no scams just decent people. and there are direct bus's from Pattaya now. You then have the option of going to SR or Phnom Penh with taxis/bus. Or just do a turn around.

Give Battambung a stop, ( about 2 1.2 hour drive) for the night and stay at the busstop gh.

The lake is worth a visit but depends on which season what u will see. In the height of the rainy season the lake will be full and the houses will be a few feet of the water, go back in the dry season and they are like 20 feet off the water, U can see some pics here. http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p552344657

As far as Anbgkor goes a tuk tuk should be more than $15 for the day!! and that includes like 5 am -when ur ready to call the day at an end. Also every night they light up Angkor,( $15 tickets at the entrance to Angkor, no need to have in advance) I went and its one of the best experiences i have had. From 7pm -11 pm u almost have the whole copmplex to yourselve (there were about 30 people on the night i went) they present a thai boxing show and Aspara dancing and your free to wander around on ur own. Gte there at 6 and watch the sunset behind Angkor Wat. Amazing!!

The Tonle Sap lake is the ONLY lake in the world that changes direction two times a year!!

Edited by phuketrichard

I was quoted $35 by the driver and this magically changed to $55 when it came to pay, I'd recommend you get him to write it down so there are no misunderstandings.
Excellent advice, though of course it's not a misunderstanding, just sleazy Poipet SOP. Even if you have the price written down you should still be ready for the guy to try to inflate it once you reach your destination. Give him exact change and walk away.

It's a shame about Poipet -- the worst possible introduction to Cambodia. Over 15 years I've never had these kinds of problems anywhere else in the country.

Well, obviously you have never been via Hat Lek. Besides being besieged by touts who want to

help you fill in the visa on arrival application, (which I don't need but have no objection too) here

the Immigration officials openly charge BT.1,200 - BT.1,300 for the Visa!!

Everywhere else, at Poipet, border crossing with Vietnam, Airports etc it's $US 20, the correct price.

What's more they want it ni THAI Baht and not in $US. It's almost double the price!!!

At Poipet they try to get BT.100 + from you but stand firm and they will drop it, as here there is

actually a price table visible. Not so Hat Lek.

I drove a couple of months ago from SR to Palin border which in my opinion is a much better border crossing, No mafi, no scams just decent people. and there are direct bus's from Pattaya now. You then have the option of going to SR or Phnom Penh with taxis/bus. Or just do a turn around.

Give Battambung a stop, ( about 2 1.2 hour drive) for the night and stay at the busstop gh.

The lake is worth a visit but depends on which season what u will see. In the height of the rainy season the lake will be full and the houses will be a few feet of the water, go back in the dry season and they are like 20 feet off the water, U can see some pics here. http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p552344657

As far as Anbgkor goes a tuk tuk should be more than $15 for the day!! and that includes like 5 am -when ur ready to call the day at an end. Also every night they light up Angkor,( $15 tickets at the entrance to Angkor, no need to have in advance) I went and its one of the best experiences i have had. From 7pm -11 pm u almost have the whole copmplex to yourselve (there were about 30 people on the night i went) they present a thai boxing show and Aspara dancing and your free to wander around on ur own. Gte there at 6 and watch the sunset behind Angkor Wat. Amazing!!

The Tonle Sap lake is the ONLY lake in the world that changes direction two times a year!!

OOOOOPs, sowwy, forgot the entrance fee to Angkor Wat, baaaad me.

Has anyone recently traveled from Poipet to Siem Reap? I am curious if you were able to avoid the taxi mafia?

I think there is a way to walk down the street after exiting the Cambodia customs, but I heard that the mafia will follow me around and will openly argue with anyone I talk to.

Has anyone recently traveled from Poipet to Siem Reap? I am curious if you were able to avoid the taxi mafia?

I think there is a way to walk down the street after exiting the Cambodia customs, but I heard that the mafia will follow me around and will openly argue with anyone I talk to.

Do as I did, buy a Siem Reap ticket which will take you to your Siem Reap digs.

The guide will do everything to get your visa.

No problem, read my earlier post.

No hassle wotsoeva.

Mind you, tis bus all the way, hope road is better now.

I believe Thailand was helping finance the upgrade.

Well, obviously you have never been via Hat Lek.
Haat Lek/Cham Yeam might seem a bit unpleasant to first-timers, but it's a quiet little place and a picnic compared to Poipet. Yes, immigration charge more, but if that bothers you just get an e-visa beforehand. The touts are harmless and easy enough to ignore, and a motorbike into Koh Kong is never more than B50-70. Compare that to Poipet where everything is chaos and mud and you're completely at the mercy of the local transport mafia.

But yes, as somebody mentioned above, the civilized overland way into Cambodia is the Phak Kat crossing in Chantaburi, a short bike ride from Pailin. The people there are actually still friendly.

Quick update.

I met up with one other person at the border and we took the association taxi (mafia) for $40 from Poipet to Siem Reap. That's $20 per person.

I saw the mafia tout on the Thailand side after we got dropped off by the tuk-tuk. He followed us all the way across the border. And after we got our stamp into Thailand, he followed us to the street. The other person wanted to initially walk down the street and try to get a non-association taxi, but after negotiating, we felt $40 was pretty good. The tout wanted us to take the 'free' bus to the transportation center which we refused. After he figured that we might just walk down the street he started negotiating. It was raining, so maybe he didn't want to follow us in the rain.

• 4 weeks later...
I saw the mafia tout on the Thailand side after we got dropped off by the tuk-tuk. He followed us all the way across the border. And after we got our stamp into Thailand, he followed us to the street. The other person wanted to initially walk down the street and try to get a non-association taxi, but after negotiating, we felt $40 was pretty good. The tout wanted us to take the 'free' bus to the transportation center which we refused. After he figured that we might just walk down the street he started negotiating. It was raining, so maybe he didn't want to follow us in the rain.

Sorry to comment late. 3 months ago we managed to get a taxi for 30$ total (4 people sharing). We hopped on 4 motor-bikes and told the drivers to go down the street. However, we stopped too soon and had to deal with the typical 'mafia' taxis. We bargained for 30$ for a few minutes, until one of the drivers standing in the crowd (not the noisy 'godfather' who talked to us) agreed with our price. It turned out he worked for a company from Siam Reap, and when the mafia guys would not let him/us go (they blocked the car) he called his boss and boss and 'godfather' dealt it out on the phone. The atmosphere during this 'incident' was quite tense but our driver stayed calm.

The deal included to bring us into town to the bus station (we wanted to go to Phnom Penh), but arriving in Siam Reap he first stopped at a tourist agency near the river to drop the other two travelers who wanted to stay there. We refused to buy bus tickets there and had the driver bring us to the bus station as agreed. Dropping us at the agency was obviously policy by his company.

However, just today, returning from another visa run, I saw people stopping a motorbike with a passenger who tried to go past the taxis. I saw a mob of people running after it, grabbing the handle at the rear end of the seat and I don't know what else they did. I was driving the opposite way and they soon came out of sight.

I don't think they would harm a tourist though. From reports you'll notice that the situation at this border crossing actually calmed down over the last two years (e.g. it is now possible to pay 20 USD without pribe and you will still get the visa without a long waiting period), showing that some high-ranked officials actually want things to go more smooth - probably to increase tourist numbers.

Good luck

welo