Hi

I desperately need some advice as my girlfriends visa application has been rejected today.

We have successfuly applied in the past (for a six month visa), this time we applied for a 2 year visa and this has been rejected. The application was extremely comprehensive and you would not believe the level of detail we included.

I just want to know what are my options now, apply for a six month visa? apply for a fiancee visa?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm in bits at the moment, don't know where to turn.

Thanks

Jonathan

There is always a reason why a refusal is given & the ECO would have provided a letter stating reasons for rejection.

Can you post here what the refusal points were as just saying the application was rejected is not enough information to go on.

But usually a new application can be made if you can provide further proof or documentation covering these points. And if you beleive you covered these points sufficiently in the original application then you have grounds to appeal.

Really sorry to hear this Johnathan, this sort of news is always a shock especially when it's for a second visa and with all the work you seem to have put in, and a two year visa don't come cheap.

You need to try and relax sit back (easy for me to say) and ascertain if the reasons given in the refusal are justified. Unfortunately you might not have the right to appeal, it depends on the type of visa, but if you think there has been a material mistake in the assessment of the application, you need to contact the ECM and ask them to review the decision.

When you have chance put the details of the refusal notice on the thread so that people can give you some pointers.

Edit for typo

Edited by theoldgit

Visa to where?

Sorry still in a state of shock.

The visa applied for was a 2 year visitor visa to UK.

Previous 6 month visa expires on 28th May, and applied for new visa to start on 6th June.

Thanks

JP

How long did your gf stay in the UK on the visa she has now? You may find that the fact your gf has just had one 6 month visa and right away she is applying again for a longer visit visa may mean they have turned it down on the grounds that she is not just visiting the UK, but is using visit visas as a way to live in the UK. There is a guideline that people should spend no more than 6 months out of every 12 in the UK on visit visas. You were also IMO unwise to go straight for another 2 year visa. You would have been better waiting for a few months and then going for another 6 month visa, then waiting again before going for a longer visa. They don't like the idea of people abusing the system to live in the UK on visit visas. Your gf should build up a history of travel to the UK before applying for longer term visit visas.

As CharlieB says, the reason for refusal was probably because she applied for a 2 year visa to start almost immediately after a 6 month one expired.

Firstly, although it is possible to obtain a visit visa with a term of up to 10 years, the maximum time spent in the UK on any one visit is still 6 months.

Secondly, even if one holds a long term visit visa entry can, and usually will, be denied if it is apparent that the visitor will be spending more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK.

Thirdly, long term visit visas are usually only issued to people who have a legitimate reason for making regular trips to the UK, e.g. business people or the spouse of a British citizen/resident, and even then only after the applicant has built up a history of regular visits and complying with the conditions of their previous visas. If this was only her second application then I am not surprised that it was refused for this reason alone; let alone the first two.

However, all this is conjecture. As already said by others, we need to know what the refusal notice says before making any constructive comments or giving any useful advice.

You ask about fiancé visas. This is not for visits, it is a type of settlement visa. Do not apply for one unless it the intention of you both for her to travel to the UK, marry you and then apply, in the UK, for settlement as your wife; all within the 6 month life of the visa.