How Much Money Do You Earn ?

A question for you teachers working around Thailand regarding your monthly income.

• How much do you earn and what type of school do you teach at ?

• What subject commands the best rate of pay in your opinion?

• Do monthly/yearly salaries increase if you stay with a school over time ?

• What would a teacher expect to earn per month in Chiang mai, compared to BKK or Issan for example ?

A question for you teachers working around Thailand regarding your monthly income.

• What would a teacher expect to earn per month in Chiang mai, compared to BKK or Issan for example ?

Let me be the first to say - Yawn... :)

That's kind of personal don't ya think? But I will say the subjects being taught that get the best pay are the ones you actually have a degree in Masters or PhD. level and yes the salary does increase as do the benefits providing you are skilled in your field and rated highly by the students and staff.

Let me be the first to say - Yawn... :)

Apoligies if this has been a topic covered more than a few dozen times, but i thought it might be useful for the few who might draw a positive from this particular post. I'm going to assume that you yourself are a teacher, who earns a respectable monthly wage. However how would feel if "john" who teaches at a similar school and subject as yourself not a million miles away from your school, is earning an 7k extra per month with less contracted hours.

Personally that would get my full attention :D

As for it being personal "maybe", but on the same token i could pass you on the street (and may well have done many times) and wouldn't know you from Adam. All of a sudden by you disclosing your monthly income has become somewhat obsolete outside of this forum. So is it still considered "personal" ?

Totally, what's the harm?

I work at an international school, teaching middle school Literature.

My pay, after taxes have been taken, is 85,500B per month.

Yearly increases are about 8% (meaning I'll be at about 92k next year).

I can't comment on other schools/subjects as this is my first full-time overseas gig.

BFD!

As mentioned previously, this is not the sort of information that I would trust from anyone providing it on an anonymous forum. Wages can also be very deceptive because you also need to take into account many other variables such as; health care, bonus, months of the year that you are actually paid, housing provision, and so on.

I would say imagine though, that I'm the lowest paid native speaker in Thailand with a PGCE.

I get 90,000 and don't pay tax.....I must pay for my own workpermit, thats my only problem.

90,000 Baht in my opinion is a fantastic wage. As somebody mentioned previously many factors "do indeed" need to be taken into account. But i "as would many others" would say, that is a very comfortable monthly wage.

Can i ask what type of school this is, and your education level ?

How can one have a work permit and not pay taxes...even if it is later on down the line?

Many teachers do not need to pay any tax despite having a work permit as they do not earn enough money.

There are many deductions available such as; health insurance, marriage to a Thai, children and so on.

Here is the link;

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

Edited by garro

Outside of Bangkok, the baseline salary is around 30k per month for a TEFL qualified native English speaker.

Although many earn more than this eg international School employees with experience and PGCEs, there are also those on the lower side of this average eg no experience, first teaching job working at a government school out in the sticks.

However, it is dificult to make comparisons because of the many variables involved between different positions eg location, hours worked, qualifications, experience etc etc etc...

Why don't you start the ball rolling?

Why don't you start the ball rolling?

Fair comment..

I'm actually not working as a teacher "just yet". Still have to finish my English degree then after that i'll pursue a job somewhere in the Chiang mai area. As to what i've learned regarding salaries some years ago now i worked in bangkok for a governemnet school for just one term. The pay was at that time quite low considering the hours i put in and the commitments i had to fullfill.

• 18 teaching hours per week in the school
  • 7 hours of language school(s) in the evenings

All these hours MUST have calculated to 100 hours of teaching for me to qualify for a monthly salary of 35,000 baht (4 years ago)

Basically just after completion of my TEFL, we were (my friend and i ) approached by a Brit who claimed he could get us jobs easily. Being totally new to the whole set-up, he effectively ran a "teachers pimping agency". In return for a monthly salary he would approach schools and promise them staff and certain pre-contracted hours in return for cash, to go through him first of course. Not a bad gig, i think he had around 15 teachers by the time i eventually jacked it in and returned to my studies..

This of course did not include any sick pay,health insurance,holiday entiltelment...

I get 90,000 and don't pay tax.....I must pay for my own workpermit, thats my only problem.

Gosh ! How amazing !

4 days ago you posted that you were back in your home country after an overstay of two years and panicking about how you can re-enter Thailand.

3 months ago you were looking for summer camp work as you were 'desperate'.

I won't even bother going into all the other previous posts that contradict what you say on an almost weekly basis.

Gosh ! How amazing !

4 days ago you posted that you were back in your home country after an overstay of two years and panicking about how you can re-enter Thailand.

3 months ago you were looking for summer camp work as you were 'desperate'.

I won't even bother going into all the other previous posts that contradict what you say on an almost weekly basis.

Ha ha, priceless!!! Why do people feel the need to lie on TV, we don't even know each other!

Teachers in Texas say they earn 400 trillion dollars per nanosecond :)

People that lie about their salaries are insecure and looking for approval. I work at the #5 university in South East Asia (not as an English teacher) and it would take me over 60 years at my current salary to pay off my education! But I have good benefits :D

Teachers in Texas say they earn 400 trillion dollars per nanosecond :)

People that lie about their salaries are insecure and looking for approval. I work at the #5 university in South East Asia (not as an English teacher) and it would take me over 60 years at my current salary to pay off my education! But I have good benefits :D

Sounds like Mahidol. Ahhhhhhhhhhh happy memories. Cute students. :D

and i tought you americans where so open to talk about things like salary

this is an anonymous forum anyway, so why you think you will be 'identified'

1. We're not all Americans here.

2. Some Americans don't brag about their salary all the time to everyone.

3. Not everyone here remains completely anonymous forever.

This is the sort of question Thais love to ask you, along with " How much did that such and such cost you ? " I always tellthem it cost a million baht....even if its only a pencil or something.

Actually in America it's rude to ask someone about how much he/she makes and rude to brag about it. That's always been the case in my experience, anyway, and I'm American. And Denim is correct, it certainly doesn't seem rude in Thailand as people ask that all the time, but I don't know if it's Thais thinking it's fine to ask farang, but not each other.

But since I don't care and none of you know me personally, I'll tell you my salary 5 years ago. For my first year I got about 30,000 baht/month. The next year at a different school 43,000 baht/month. Both of the schools were on the lower tier of international schools in Thailand, particularly pay. :) I'm not a teacher anymore so can't give current salary but that's just to compare with others. I think some of my friends at the first school are still under 40,000 baht but maybe now over 35,000 baht with raises. I mean, who cares if someone knows how much I made at a school I didn't name and as I'm someone you don't know? Also, considering the salary I made, that is far from bragging. :D

Hi there,

personally, i have no issue with people knowing my salary, so if it is beneficial for the sakes of comparison, then great.

I have a bachelors in business studies. No previous teaching experience. Came to thailand aged 28.

5 years ago, I taught at in a small northern Thailand High school, in the city's best "English Program". My salary was 27,000 bhat per month. 500 bhat taken out for tax and 750 bhat for health insurance. That was raised to 30,000 bhat the following year. 15 * 50 minute periods. stayed for 2 years. Free work permit and visa (with reimbursements for all necessary visa trips)

Rajaphat near Bangkok, offered 30,000 THB and free housing on Campus (worth about 20 bhat a month!). 25 hours a week. Stayed 6 months. They paid for the WP but not for the visa.

Now teaching back in the same northern Thai town. My previous school didn't have any vacancies. I am teaching at a College which offers schooling to kids from M4 (15-16 years old) right up to 2nd year University level (20-21 years old). Teach 20 hours a week, core English and Business studies. Salary is 25,000 bhat (with some tax to come out of that). A colleague has been here 4.5 years with the same credentials as mine and is earning 30,000 THB.

All my friends and colleagues in the town earn between 23,000 - 32,000 THB. Benefits are pretty non existent, but it is a very pleasant life :-)

Cheers, and good luck.

James

"desperately lousy outside of Bkk"...? Salary - for sure. Quality of life - I wouldn't bet on it.

My salary in Dubai only 4 months ago was the equivalent of 250,000 Bhat per month tax free, and now I am earning 10 times less.... but my standard of living / quality of life has improved beyond recognition.

Surely, people only teach in Thailand because it allows you to live in Thailand, right? If you wanted the money, teach in Japan, Korea or the Middle East (I knew an English biology teacher whilst in Dubai who was teaching high school level and was on about 200,000 Bhat tax free + free accommodation!)

Cheers