Ais Thailand To Offer First Google Phone

george

AIS Thailand to offer first Google phone

AIS offers Android phones

BANGKOK: -- Advanced Info Service (AIS) yesterday launched the HTC Magic Android-powered mobile phone in a drive to increase its data users to 6 million this year.

Promoted as the first of its kind in Thailand, the High Tech Computer (HTC) phone runs on Google's Android software with an open-standard application system.

AIS has tied up with HTC to offer applications aimed at accelerating growth in the mobile application and mobile internet markets. The HTC Magic, priced at 25,900 baht, has about 250 application programs, 90% from Europe or China and the other 10% developed locally.

Hui Weng Cheong, deputy president of AIS, said the HTC mobile phone was intended to increase data users through Edge and GPRS technologies, rather than the third-generation (3G) market, which still has few customers.

"We expect the Android-based phone to help us lift both number of data users and revenue this year," he said. "We also believe the phone will help accelerate growth in the mobile application and mobile internet market."

AIS currently has more than 4.5 million GPRS users, up 60% from last year.

AIS intends to invest in 3G on both the new 2100 MHz frequency and its existing 900 MHz bandwidth by upgrading to high speed packet access (HSPA) technology, said Mr Cheong.

The 2100 frequency would serve Bangkok while the 900-Mhz bandwidth would be used in rural areas.

But the company's 3G investment budget will depend heavily on 3G licence regulations and conditions set by the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC), he said.

Investment also depends on TOT Plc, which oversees AIS's concession. The concession only has five years remaining, which makes a large investment in the frequency unviable.

In June, AIS plans to expand its 3G service in Chiang Mai and Chon Buri, where its call centre headquarters is located.

AIS now expects a slight improvement in the second half of this year, said Mr Cheong.

"We expect to see a positive performance for the whole year, if the economy does not worsen," he said.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-05-28

AIS just sent me an incredible offer via SMS: A Blackberry Storm for 29,900 Baht. Lolz :):D

I cannot help but think they are kicking themselves for letting True run away with a certain other phone...

Edited by nikster

Looks like Android is finally taking off. Perhaps rumors that MS is going to pull a Zune and produce their own phone was an extra incentive for HTC... :)

Anyway, it's always been my opinion that Android is the best option for those handset producers that don't have a decent operating system, e.g. nearly all of them. Blackberry and Apple the only exceptions.

how does one justify paying 25k plus for a phone such as this and I-phone or whatever Diamond HTC when you can get a nice Nokia 5800 for 13k? Which does all or more than what these expensive phones can do.

how does one justify paying 25k plus for a phone such as this and I-phone or whatever Diamond HTC when you can get a nice Nokia 5800 for 13k? Which does all or more than what these expensive phones can do.

I bought a Nokia 5800 and it's certainly a good phone.

I also have an iPod Touch 32GB, so see no need for the iPhone, but if the iPhone is as slick as the iPod touch, the Nokia isn't as good, although the Nokia speakers blow the iPod Touch to bits and has a camera with flash, and of course the battery life is crap on the Apple compared to the Nokia.

I'm pleased with the Nokia 5800, but also I'm pleased with the iPod touch. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...