Pending Changes To The "local" Roads (next To Railtracks)

Mobi

ok..back on topic:

went down SSCC and it was smoother as usual, however there were LOTS of police and volunteers at the junction so everybody was driing kind of disciplined. Wonder what will happen when they are gone...

btw, the red lights were not yet switched on.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Huay Yai and use this road usually when returning from Pattaya. Lenny W has a good point...There are 2 cement plants at the south end near the Huay Yai junction, on the southbound side, they are only about 100 & 200m from the Huay Yai road, do you think the trucks going in there are going to make a few kilometer detour to do a u turn and abide by the direction of the road??

This road is mega dangerous, take care!!

I live in Huay Yai and use this road usually when returning from Pattaya. Lenny W has a good point...There are 2 cement plants at the south end near the Huay Yai junction, on the southbound side, they are only about 100 & 200m from the Huay Yai road, do you think the trucks going in there are going to make a few kilometer detour to do a u turn and abide by the direction of the road??

This road is mega dangerous, take care!!

I tried getting out that end this morning before the police were on the go and could barely get out for Baht buses coming in :D there is a roadside garage there that seems popular with them, before the cement works.

All the lights seem to be working as they should, from kow thalo to huay yai anyway, although the bikes seem to be paying little attention to them.

Police are doing their best to guide everybody at the moment today (without taking tea money!! :) ) but i have to wonder how long it will need their presence to keep things running smoothly, and when they are gone will it revert to a free for all??

Looks like the road will work fine as long as everybody heeds the lights and sticks to the proper lanes? :D

I should have known better, but I drove down Siam Country Club road this morning, going from the Darkside towards Sukhumvit.

There was a long line of traffic waiting at the local road junction and it took me over 1/2 hour to travel less than 1/2 kilometre. There were loads of police at the junction, but didn't appear to be doing anything. All the lights were working, but as it took so long to get through the junction, I can only assume they need to be re-phased.

Then, being a glutton for punishment, I returned down the same route at around 12.30. Not too many problems going eastwards, although it did take around ten minutes to get across the junction, but by this time , the traffic going towards Sukhumvit had backed up, almost to the large 'Country' Sauna place - at least 3 kilometres, I would say, from the junction. I would guess the folks at the back of the line would take up to an hour to get through.

And no cops in sight at the junction.

If they don't re-phase the lights there's going to be some almighty snarl ups there , and I would guess, at Nern Plub Wan and Soi Kow Noi also.

Watch this space for more reports on this exciting development in traffic management in sin city. :)

Yep, just went past that area a few times, luckily I took my moped!

Going East wards from Sukhumvit is not that bad, but traffic going into town was backed up till where the Chinese cemetery is. And that was 1 PM, normally a relative quite time!

I reckon tomorrow morning between 7 am and 10 am will be utter mayhem when they don't change the timing of the traffic lights.

Another strange thing, was when driving on the parallel road Northwards (that's on the West side of the tracks), when the traffic lights went green, there was at least a full 30 to 40 seconds of continuing traffic going Eastwards. I doubt they went through the red as lots of cops around.

So it looks like the system doesn't take into account the total length of the part on the railroad tracks and the vehicles it holds.

If the lights on the East side go red, you'll need at least 50 seconds for all the cars on the railroad track area to clear, but once the lights on the East side go red, the ones on the parallel road going North go green immediately!

I should have known better, but I drove down Siam Country Club road this morning, going from the Darkside towards Sukhumvit.

There was a long line of traffic waiting at the local road junction and it took me over 1/2 hour to travel less than 1/2 kilometre. There were loads of police at the junction, but didn't appear to be doing anything. All the lights were working, but as it took so long to get through the junction, I can only assume they need to be re-phased.

Then, being a glutton for punishment, I returned down the same route at around 12.30. Not too many problems going eastwards, although it did take around ten minutes to get across the junction, but by this time , the traffic going towards Sukhumvit had backed up, almost to the large 'Country' Sauna place - at least 3 kilometres, I would say, from the junction. I would guess the folks at the back of the line would take up to an hour to get through.

If they don't re-phase the lights there's going to be some almighty snarl ups there , and I would guess, at Nern Plub Wan and Soi Kow Noi also.

Watch this space for more reports on this exciting development in traffic management in sin city. :)

The police sure like their light phasing. About 1 minute for each of the 4 directions should guarantee the usual level of chaos! I just love sitting stationary for 2-3 minutes every time I get to a red light around Pattaya, it's no wonder the Thais always jump the red for about 5 seconds or so after they change!

Watch this space for more reports on this exciting development in traffic management in sin city. :D

What they really need are roundabouts (US : traffic circles) at each junction as these would automatically slow traffic as they approached and, if used properly :):D :D would regulate the flow without the need for the excessive waiting times caused by traffic lights

What they really need are roundabouts (US : traffic circles) at each junction as these would automatically slow traffic as they approached and, if used properly :):D:D would regulate the flow without the need for the excessive waiting times caused by traffic lights

Ha ha, you only need to look at the dolphin roundabout at weekends to give you some idea how that would work!! :D:D but then again, you did say "if used properly" :D

What they really need are roundabouts (US : traffic circles) at each junction as these would automatically slow traffic as they approached and, if used properly :):D:D would regulate the flow without the need for the excessive waiting times caused by traffic lights

As far as I am aware, there is only one roundabout in the whole of Bangkok. It is a huge circle with literally dozens of roads feeding into it. It is total no-man's land and I reckon they have at least a dozen scrapes and shunts there a day. It is just about the only place in Thailand that I am scared to enter in a car. Many years ago, there were quite a few roundabouts in Bangkok, but they found that the Thais just couldn't, or wouldn't follow the rules and they had too many accidents, so they changed them into road junctions with lights.

We have the Dolphin roundabout in Pattaya, and one day I was stationary on it and a bastard side swiped me and sped off towards the beach. Cost me over 10K. There are countless accidents there, probably almost daily.

It's a great idea but I'm afraid it won't work here.

So it looks like the system doesn't take into account the total length of the part on the railroad tracks and the vehicles it holds.

If the lights on the East side go red, you'll need at least 50 seconds for all the cars on the railroad track area to clear, but once the lights on the East side go red, the ones on the parallel road going North go green immediately!

Yes, I wondered what the h..ll was happening on both my trips across the junction. On both occasions the light turned red long before I had crossed both local roads, and the local road traffic was inching forward on green.

What fun!! :D

Yes it will not be long before they switch them off, I was also caught in traffic on SSCC for about half and hour you can see that this road was never going to work the way they built it. The traffic on all the main roads leading to Sukhumvit is way to heavy for traffic light junctions . If they could have used there brains the only way this road would haved worked is if the made all juctions flyovers so no need for traffic lights, but this would have been far to expensive for there budget :)

Regards

Scotsman

Again more buffoonery thank god for ABS as I slammed the brakes on to avoid the dek wayne on his hoda wave coming down the wrong way of the new one way road this afternoon.

Another Joke project from the powers that be

put me down as another who got caught on SCCC around 12:45 today. luckily, my friend immediately made a U-Turn at the cemetary and we took it over to Nong Yhai. we still had to sit at the traffic light, but there were only 4 of us waiting to cross the tracks. no way this lasts, if this remains, we're going to start hearing car horns in Thailand!

Driving home today around 6:00 PM today, I made the right turn off Pattaya Klang onto Sukhumvit with the intent to turn left into Soi Khaw Noi. Luckily I saw the long line of traffic in the far left lane (at least 25 cars, not including the second line that formed in the lane to the right) and quickly pulled over to get in line. It took me almost 30 minutes from this point to get across the train tracks. The BIB were not directing traffic, instead they were just standing on the corner watching the whole mess. It seemed that when the traffic light turned green, the line didn't move at all, but once the light turned red, everyone started to move closer. I suspect that when the light turns green, only a few cars are able to pass through the light, instead having to wait for all of the motorbikes which had assembled at the head of the line when the light was red. Anyway, not looking too good so far.

Driving home today around 6:00 PM today, I made the right turn off Pattaya Klang onto Sukhumvit with the intent to turn left into Soi Khaw Noi. Luckily I saw the long line of traffic in the far left lane (at least 25 cars, not including the second line that formed in the lane to the right) and quickly pulled over to get in line. It took me almost 30 minutes from this point to get across the train tracks. The BIB were not directing traffic, instead they were just standing on the corner watching the whole mess. It seemed that when the traffic light turned green, the line didn't move at all, but once the light turned red, everyone started to move closer. I suspect that when the light turns green, only a few cars are able to pass through the light, instead having to wait for all of the motorbikes which had assembled at the head of the line when the light was red. Anyway, not looking too good so far.

Exactly the same in Soi SCC this afternoon. Very little movement, and only when the light returns to red. I think it's because there are effectively two junctions, not one, and the lights are phased to favour the traffic on the local roads. So there'a hardly any time for East/ west traffic to move across the two local roads.

This clearly wasn't thought through at all, but what did we expect?

The traffic cops have absolutely no idea what to do, which is why they are doing nothing.

The only cops who have a clue are in Bangkok.

Maybe they should send a platoon down here to sort it out.

(And maybe pigs will fly :) )

The only cops who have a clue are in Bangkok.

that's a bold statement... :)

It just happens to be true, as anyone who lives and drives in Bangkok will testify.

They have been perfecting their traffic control and management art for decades, and without them Bangkok would surely grind to a halt. Some cops can spend their entire career at a single major road junction, and they really do know what they are doing, even if it may seem the occasional visitor that it is not so.

And every time there is a major change in roads, one way to 2 way, vice versa, diversions etc, they publish and post their plans weeks in advance, and on the day of the changes they are out in force to advise and help mortorists. And they monitor the changes properly, and make adjustments to light phasing etc, where necessary.

These idiots down here never get of their asses except to extract tea money from farang motorcyclists, bar owners, and the whores on Beach road. They have decades of experience in doing that :D

The major difference between here and Bangkok is the make up of drivers using the roads. In Bangkok are literally thousand of "people of influence' - millionaire businessmen, politicians, diplomatic core , rich kids needing to get to their rich private schools, etc etc, and the police have no choice but to do their best to keep traffic moving.

Down here the population mainly consists of poor folk from Isaan, pimps whores and low life farangs. Nobody gives a shit if we get held up for hours in traffic congestion (especially East of Sukhumvit where only a few tourists venture) and kill ourselves at badly planned traffic junctions.

Was it ever thus? :D

Edited by Mobi

not so bad today. just went both ways down SCCC to Sukhumvit within 1 hour and while i did wait a minute or two both ways, otherwise not bad. funny to think i should complain, since i was t-boned on my bike crossing this junction by an SUV. then again, since i survived and i have a short term memory, i hope smooths itself out.

or... are drivers taking alternate routes? maybe SCCC will become a barren race track!

I've been abandonded on the "Sukhumvit Relief Road" thread, which is the only excuse I can think of for pulling out onto the Southbound side travelling North on my m/bike yesterday. The pair of oncoming pickups had no sympathy and the one in the 'wrong' lane just pushed me closer to the concrete barrier - no doubt yelling "stupid falang" - justifiably.

The rest of my regular trip up to Soi Siam CC was interesting to say the least and I've reverted to Sukhumvit for now, where the chaos is a little more predictable.

BTW, if you follow the directions from Sukhumvit to the Floating Market via Soi 93, then when you reach the Northbound lanes, you will be directed South :)

or... are drivers taking alternate routes? maybe SCCC will become a barren race track!

I would imagine that most of the people in that area travel to the city every day, so word would get around very quickly.

There was ahuge increase in traffic on SCCC when they put the traffic lights down on Sukhumvit - it was great for right turning traffic. So maybe they have gone back to their former routes.

Luckily I moved from the dark-side to the "bright-side" some months ago, but guys, I'm with you.......if that helps.

Then you are missing out on all the fun.

I actually live within 3 minutes of the 36 Highway, and can easily avoid all this chaos by driving down the main roads into Pattaya. Slightly longer, but unquestionably quicker.

But then I'd miss all out on all the hilarious chaos. I absolutely love Nern Plub Wan. One of my favourite roads in all of Thailand - full of little communities: shops, repair places, pubs, bars, restaurants, hair salons, furniture builders, car cleaning places, whore houses, saunas, hotels, apartments, lodging rooms, ugly 'new' villages, cheap Charlie/ pot bellied /shirtless farangs, whores, pimps, beggars and the whole flotsam and jetsam of Thai humanity: literally seething with life 24/7. Only to be matched, by the bottom end of Soi 22 in Bangkok.

It's almost worth being held up by the new traffic lights, just to watch what is going on around you. :)

As of today, it seems that they have turned on the signal lights at most of the intersections..at least on Nern Plub Wan and Kao Noi. Seem to cause more traffic delays than without the lights. I never understood why then need lights anyway...there is never much of a delay except during the late afternoon and early evening when schools let out and people are returning home after work (and stopping at the market there on the way). This was easliy dealth with by posting the traffic cops there for a few hours from 4-6 pm.

Also, beware that they apparently programed the signals before they made the recent changes to the road right-of-ways. When driving on NPW towards Suk, on green, you will get both greens for going straight and for making a RIGHT turn (onto the road parallel to the tracks towards SSCC Road), which of course, is no longer legal...that being made 2-lanes both going south only!

As of today, it seems that they have turned on the signal lights at most of the intersections..at least on Nern Plub Wan and Kao Noi. Seem to cause more traffic delays than without the lights. I never understood why then need lights anyway...there is never much of a delay except during the late afternoon and early evening when schools let out and people are returning home after work (and stopping at the market there on the way). This was easliy dealth with by posting the traffic cops there for a few hours from 4-6 pm.

Also, beware that they apparently programed the signals before they made the recent changes to the road right-of-ways. When driving on NPW towards Suk, on green, you will get both greens for going straight and for making a RIGHT turn (onto the road parallel to the tracks towards SSCC Road), which of course, is no longer legal...that being made 2-lanes both going south only!

This is the same problem all over the city, whenever a set of lights goes out, the traffic jams disappear! Carrefour junction never seemed a particular problem to me, used it in all 4 directions, admittedly on a bike not a car, but never a problem. Now jams in all directions at various times of day. They just have no idea how to phase lights and fail to realise the benefits of switching them to a cautionary flashing mode during quieter periods. The answer on these new roads is probably flashing lights for most of the day and supervised operation at peak times. Then again, supervised by who.........? :)

These two roads are slower than using Suk now they have turned the lights on and made them one way, lets see if we can guess how long the lights stay operational for. Does anyone remember a few years ago the lights that were put on Thapaya Rd from Jomtien to the flyover? Chaos they lasted 3 days I beleive.

Switch off the lights make both sides 2 way, much more fun and usable.

This is the same problem all over the city, whenever a set of lights goes out, the traffic jams disappear! Carrefour junction never seemed a particular problem to me, used it in all 4 directions, admittedly on a bike not a car, but never a problem. Now jams in all directions at various times of day.

Agreed...funny how that works :)

Before, except for the afore mentioned "rush hours," there was never much of a delay nudging one's way through these intersections, but when they make them light-controlled intersections, it causes massive back-ups in all directions :D My guess is that they will re-program them to flash yellow for most of the day and nite (which they often do at the Carrefour intersection) soon...either that or people will just start to ignore them.

Traffic is general slow-enough at least on NPW that without the lights, there was really no safety/accident danger.

This morning just before 9 am no problems at SSCC going West. Was faster and smoother as usual as there were no cars criss-crossing. Didn't notice any cops.

Same now around lunch time. Smooth ride through in both directions.