U S Independence Day Celebration - July 4

CLASBYCLAN

· (New). Fourth of July Celebration – Saturday - July 4th. The Veteran of Foreign Wars of the United States of America, on behalf of the U.S. Consulate General invites U.S. citizens in Chiang Mai to celebrate the Fourth of July on Saturday, July 4, from 2 to 8 p.m. The celebration on the grounds of the Chiang Mai Municipal Stadium, will feature a variety of entertainment, good ol’ American hot-dogs and soft drinks, children's games, a watermelon eating contest, door prizes, and a grand fireworks display at 8 p.m. All American participants will be asked to show either a U.S. passport or a photocopy of the passport to enter. Admission is 100 baht. Children 12 and under are admitted free; they must also show a U.S. passport or copy, or Thai ID card. A School ID is acceptable for children . The gate will open at 2 p.m. with no further admissions after 7 p.m. To expedite entrance, please don’t bring bulky items. No parking is available at the Sports Complex. Please take a taxi or have someone drop you off . Tell the driver: “Sanamkila Tessabon” . Who may attend: All US Citizens, their spouse and children. Guest Policy: Each American citizen may bring five non U.S. citizen guests. The guests must arrive with the U.S. citizen host and show a photo ID, passport, or copy of a passport. Large Groups, require advance approval.

Edited by PeaceBlondie
Title made more accurate, less of a rant. E mail removed

· (New). Fourth of July Celebration – Saturday - July 4th. The Veteran of Foreign Wars of the United States of America, on behalf of the U.S. Consulate General invites U.S. citizens in Chiang Mai to celebrate the Fourth of July on Saturday, July 4, from 2 to 8 p.m. The celebration on the grounds of the Chiang Mai Municipal Stadium, will feature a variety of entertainment, good ol’ American hot-dogs and soft drinks, children's games, a watermelon eating contest, door prizes, and a grand fireworks display at 8 p.m. All American participants will be asked to show either a U.S. passport or a photocopy of the passport to enter. Admission is 100 baht. Children 12 and under are admitted free; they must also show a U.S. passport or copy, or Thai ID card. A School ID is acceptable for children . The gate will open at 2 p.m. with no further admissions after 7 p.m. To expedite entrance, please don’t bring bulky items. No parking is available at the Sports Complex. Please take a taxi or have someone drop you off . Tell the driver: “Sanamkila Tessabon” . Who may attend: All US Citizens, their spouse and children. Guest Policy: Each American citizen may bring five non U.S. citizen guests. The guests must arrive with the U.S. citizen host and show a photo ID, passport, or copy of a passport. Large Groups, require advance approval. Query by email to: [email protected] (5/29)

It is not for US citizens ONLY. Read your own post. Non-US citizen guests of US citizens are also invited. Being that it is a celebration of Independence Day, a US holiday, does it not make sense that only Americans and their interested guests be invited?

Edited by venturalaw

It is not just for US citizens however you need to bring one to get you in. Why? Because of security, it is that simple. I don't recall being invited to a Canada day celebration or a Victoria day party so.... But if you are really busting to go I would be happy to get you through the gate.

· (New). Fourth of July Celebration – Saturday - July 4th. The Veteran of Foreign Wars of the United States of America, on behalf of the U.S. Consulate General invites U.S. citizens in Chiang Mai to celebrate the Fourth of July on Saturday, July 4, from 2 to 8 p.m. The celebration on the grounds of the Chiang Mai Municipal Stadium, will feature a variety of entertainment, good ol’ American hot-dogs and soft drinks, children's games, a watermelon eating contest, door prizes, and a grand fireworks display at 8 p.m. All American participants will be asked to show either a U.S. passport or a photocopy of the passport to enter. Admission is 100 baht. Children 12 and under are admitted free; they must also show a U.S. passport or copy, or Thai ID card. A School ID is acceptable for children . The gate will open at 2 p.m. with no further admissions after 7 p.m. To expedite entrance, please don’t bring bulky items. No parking is available at the Sports Complex. Please take a taxi or have someone drop you off . Tell the driver: “Sanamkila Tessabon” . Who may attend: All US Citizens, their spouse and children. Guest Policy: Each American citizen may bring five non U.S. citizen guests. The guests must arrive with the U.S. citizen host and show a photo ID, passport, or copy of a passport. Large Groups, require advance approval. Query by email to: [email protected] (5/29)

It is not for US citizens ONLY. Read your own post. Non-US citizen guests of US citizens are also invited. Being that it is a celebration of Independence Day, a US holiday, does it not make sense that only Americans and their interested guests be invited?

Oh thanks, just read my own post!!! and oooh US citizens can bring 5 non citizens WOW! Look, I'm just saying, can I not be chuffed about Independance day too, I celebrate Christmas and Im not a Christian, I get tipsy on Guiness on St Patrick Day and I'm not Irish!

Why The hel_l Is This For Us Citizens Only?
You just need to pal up with a US citizen who can bring up to 5 non-American guests. The VFW probably received federal money to partially subsidize this, so it's primarily for US citizens. 100 baht is pretty cheap.

Good point, thank you. I just don't wanna miss out on those hotdogs!

What I really want is a Philly Cheese Stake and a decent slice of pizza, I could drink a real beer too (Pennsylvania Dutch Bier) like a nice Penn Weizen, Victory St. Boisterous Hellerbock, Stoudt's Pils, Magic Hat #9, at least a Dock Street. I understand in the past they served Samuel Adams which is ok better than anything form South East Asia. Anyway screw the hot dogs!

What I really want is a Philly Cheese Stake and a decent slice of pizza, I could drink a real beer too (Pennsylvania Dutch Bier) like a nice Penn Weizen, Victory St. Boisterous Hellerbock, Stoudt's Pils, Magic Hat #9, at least a Dock Street. I understand in the past they served Samuel Adams which is ok better than anything form South East Asia. Anyway screw the hot dogs!

It would be great to be able to find a bottle of TUMS (nowhere in Thailand) after all of the eating/drinking.

I could drink a real beer too

There ain't none, you'll need to go to Europe for that :)

No we make real beer in the USA most people just don't drink it because it is to strong. I wouldn't think about drinking something that came in a case, it has to come out of the vat or barrel thus when I do drink beer in Thailand I go to the German brew pub, just like home.

The USA now leads the world in quality beer production (but also leads in crappy beer production)

The great brew masters have been lured to America with offers of $$$ for years. And last time I checked the USA had plenty of good farmland for producing grains, although many microbreweries still import much of their barley and hops.

U.S. Breweries Operating in 2008

65 Regional Craft Breweries

446 Microbreweries

990 Brewpubs

1,501 Total Craft Breweries

20 Large Breweries (Non-Craft)

24 Other Non-Craft Breweries

1,545 Total U.S. Breweries

Edit: It would be unfair to exclude Canada. Many fine beer products from Canada and fine grains. I just don't have the stats to back it up.

Edited by NaiGreg

Sawasdee Khrup, TV friends,

My farang went to two of these July 4th. celebrations in the past years, leaving within one hour each time.

You had to pay for everything at the ones I went to, nothing free.

They had the inevitable message from the President (Shrub in the years I went) : I had to restrain myself from voicing my opinion on the war in Iraq as I would have done back in "Corporate Occupied Mallburgerland."

They had a senior-citizens singing group (missionaries ?) singing songs of old Americana. I think many of them were on IV drip life support.

I was bored out of my mind, and so was my Thai sweetheart at the time. What was fun was going to the other side of the Ping and watching the fireworks from there.

But I hope this one is more fun ! If it's in the old stadium, my thoughts turn to the availability of shade.

~o:37;

Edited by orang37

It is good to see this thread moving away from a senseless crab about the Independence Day party being hosted by the American Veterans of Foreign Wars and the United States Consulate in Chiang Mai.

Before this year, the annual party was held on the grounds of the American Consulate and security restrictions were the same.

It would be interesting to see the response if I suggested that I should be able to hand a guard 100 Baht and gain access to any other country's Consulate. I believe that the 100 baht is not an entrance fee but used to help cover the cost of hosting this event. I suspect that the CM VFW's finances are limited and don't think that either they or the Consulate receive any American Federal funds for this celebration.

I don't get the problem with Americans who are outside of their own country getting together with their fellow countrymen and their families and friends to celebrate their freedom and independence as a nation. Given the attitude of the OC (original crabber), I would tend to prefer that she/he not show up anyway (not that I will be there myself). :)

Is it true that they actually import decent hotdogs from America? There aren't any here and that is a fact.

I went once a couple years ago and it was a great event. I won a vacation and the best part... they import Mountain Dew!!!!!! :)

Edited by mnbcm

I think I'll go to Dukes on this day, I know I'll be able to have a salty pizza without any loud mouth yanks spoiling the atmosphere. :)

I can't guarantee anything, but they have been known to give away free food at the Consulate on July 4 in past years. I have not heard of anyone else doing this. :D

No we make real beer in the USA most people just don't drink it because it is to strong. I wouldn't think about drinking something that came in a case, it has to come out of the vat or barrel thus when I do drink beer in Thailand I go to the German brew pub, just like home.

Good beer is all over the world, but you have to go to the beer, because good beer doesn't travel well. For the best Guiness you have to go to the British Isles, the best pilsner is in the Czech Republic (and the women there are so beautiful!) and if you like a really hopped up, strong ale (I do) the best I've found are in the many microbreweries in the U.S. These are just examples, there are many fine beers I'm omitting. Unfortunately here in Thailand you accept that bland beer is better than no beer.

First, I want to say I appreciate all the thoughtful and hard work being done by the American veterans of foreign wars. They are assisted by the American Consulate, but the VFW started doing some of the scut work last year. As such parties go, it is pretty nice; or at least it was when held on the consulate grounds.

What is a shame is that such extraordinary security precautions must apparently be put into play. This was also evident at the consulate parties. Indeed, I suspect that the reason that the party is being held off consulate grounds has to do with the Americans' continuing passion for security.

Look at the consulate itself. Ever visited there? It is like entering a fort!

Well, happy birthday, America, but perhaps it should be a time for reflection, not celebration. Why indeed the need for all this security? What is the face America presents to the world as it passes by the consulate or visits it? How did it come to be that?

Edited by Mapguy

Mapguy: "Well, happy birthday, America, but perhaps it should be a time for reflection, not celebration. Why indeed the need for all this security? What is the face America presents to the world as it passes by the consulate or visits it? How did it come to be that?"

Reflect on the face America presents to passers by?? You must be joking. If you or your wife, son or daughter happened to be American and happened to work there

what kind of security would you want? You think the CM one is like a fort? Have you seen the one in Singapore?

A small sampling of "how it's come to that"-

ATHENS, Jan. 12, 2007 — An antitank grenade was fired into the heavily fortified American Embassy here just before dawn today. The building was empty, but the attack underscored deep anti-American sentiment here and revived fears of a new round of homegrown terror.

September 18, 2008 · Authorities in Yemen have been arresting suspects after an attack Wednesday on the U.S. embassy in the capital San'a. Two suicide car bombs set off a series of explosions outside the embassy.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

A charred body was found inside the U.S. embassy in Belgrade, Serbia, after rioters stormed the complex Thursday evening in protest of Kosovo's declaration of independence, sources in Belgrade told FOX News

Monday 6 December 2004

Islamist militants today attacked the US consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, with explosives and machine guns, killing four security guards and five staff, Saudi officials said.

Gunmen fought their way into the complex, reportedly taking 18 staff and visa applicants hostage for a short time before Saudi security forces stormed the building, killing three attackers and arresting two others.

Thank you cm96.

Terrorism has been a fact of life for many decades now and the richest, most powerful nation on earth is a magnet for blood thirsty creeps trying to make political points. We would be irresponsible if we did not try to protect our Embassy personnel.

I know that it is fashionable to blame all of our problems on George Bush, but the same things have been said about every Republican President since I can remember and nothing has really changed. The Republicans screw up and a Democrat comes in, the Democrats blow it and the Republicans get another try - an imperfect system of checks and balances that usually works out eventually

Sure, America makes all kinds of mistakes and blunders - there aren't a lot of countries that haven't - but, in general, we also try to do the right thing, and you cannot say that about many of the leading nations.

You can't please everyone, but at least we give it a try. Who thinks that China or Russia would ever do the same?

It is good to see this thread moving away from a senseless crab about the Independence Day party being hosted by the American Veterans of Foreign Wars and the United States Consulate in Chiang Mai.

Before this year, the annual party was held on the grounds of the American Consulate and security restrictions were the same.

It would be interesting to see the response if I suggested that I should be able to hand a guard 100 Baht and gain access to any other country's Consulate. I believe that the 100 baht is not an entrance fee but used to help cover the cost of hosting this event. I suspect that the CM VFW's finances are limited and don't think that either they or the Consulate receive any American Federal funds for this celebration.

I don't get the problem with Americans who are outside of their own country getting together with their fellow countrymen and their families and friends to celebrate their freedom and independence as a nation. Given the attitude of the OC (original crabber), I would tend to prefer that she/he not show up anyway (not that I will be there myself). :)

My sentiments exactly! That is why I pointed out curtly that his complaint was a contradiction from what he had posted. What a dolt.

Well, happy birthday, America, but perhaps it should be a time for reflection, not celebration. Why indeed the need for all this security? What is the face America presents to the world as it passes by the consulate or visits it? How did it come to be that?

First, for your information, the US Consulate Office in Chiang Mai once was the royal residence of the last prince of Northern Thailand, Chao Kaew Nawarat, the history of the Consulate allows its staff to justifiably say they work in a very special place.

Second, America need not be 'concerned' about how it is viewed. Where would Europe be without America, or many nations for that matter? Who offered assistance to the extent America did following the Tsunami, or any other natural disaster worldwide. But did any foreign governments assist America during the flooding in Louisiana, or 9/11? No offers of assistance from anyone, but it is a time for "reflection, not celebration" during America's Independence Day? Are you serious?

Edited by venturalaw

First, I want to say I appreciate all the thoughtful and hard work being done by the American veterans of foreign wars. They are assisted by the American Consulate, but the VFW started doing some of the scut work last year. As such parties go, it is pretty nice; or at least it was when held on the consulate grounds.

What is a shame is that such extraordinary security precautions must apparently be put into play. This was also evident at the consulate parties. Indeed, I suspect that the reason that the party is being held off consulate grounds has to do with the Americans' continuing passion for security.

You'll notice the Chinese Consulate is also heavily guarded.

I won't be there this summer but my Thai wife, who has a green card (permanent residency) and our 19 month old son, who is a U.S. citizen, will be in Chiang Mai for the month of July. I know she and some Thai friends could go as "guests" of my son. But wouldn't someone with a U.S. green card be allowed in on their own merits?

First, for your information, the US Consulate Office in Chiang Mai once was the royal residence of the last prince of Northern Thailand, Chao Kaew Nawarat, the history of the Consulate allows its staff to justifiably say they work in a very special place.

Second, America need not be 'concerned' about how it is viewed. Where would Europe be without America, or many nations for that matter? Who offered assistance to the extent America did following the Tsunami, or any other natural disaster worldwide. But did any foreign governments assist America during the flooding in Louisiana, or 9/11? No offers of assistance from anyone, but it is a time for "reflection, not celebration" during America's Independence Day? Are you serious?

Some of you slay me with your BS. You should reflect !! As an American here in CM and meeting many folks from other countries I know many of you are hypocrites in denial. America should pull out of the United Nations. Altruistic at the start it has turned into a joke. Many many Americans want the UN out of NYC and the US out of the UN. America can do well on its own. This Independence Day I as one of many wish our country total independence from this screwed up world. Bring all the Boys and Foreign Aid home. No NATO,No Pacific Rim treaties. Sorry boys your on your own. With our Nuke Subs we can protect our shores. Any aggressors will be dealt a killing blow within hours. End of story ! Happy Independence Day. No more Mr. Nice Guy. "O" yes please do not come to our party on July 4 if you are not American even if you are invited by a well intentioned "Do Gooder"!! They are just naive to your true intent..

We as a people are well intentioned in helping this rock we live on to be a better place but all the efforts only gets us condemnation.

It is time to take care of ourselves. It looks like rain. You other tribes will have to make do on your own. Chok Dee !!

Well, I --- the dolt --- is back! I wasn't so naïve to suspect I wouldn't get a blast --- or much more --- back!

By the way, before going on, this is about the "American Fortress Chiang Mai" as well as about the American image and its state-directed diplomatic compounds elsewhere.

I can't say that Past President George W. Bush or his vice-president, Cheney, did anything to improve things. I wouldn't have voted for them! I most emphatically never supported their approach to the world. Nor, of course, would I support or condone the terrorists in the news today. But there is a bit more history, present interpretations of which we pass each day, and future consequences) to what we see in the American official presence in Chiang Mai than that!

In recent years, I have been in a few American consulates and embassies, including one which was bombed! I think some others were bombed or attacked somehow, but I have forgotten the details.

My point is that America has done a lot to make itself a target, and embassies and consulates are easy targets It wasn't Bush 43. It takes time to build up such hate that people would bomb embassies and consulates and softer targets not obviously protected by armed forces. UG probably has a simplistic book on this on his racks entitled The Ugly American written by by Eugene Burdick and William Lederer in 1958. That's a long time ago! Even though it is simplistic, it does give you a clue why America is a target for many people instead of being a friend. There is, of course, a considerable literature to elaborate on that theme.

Back to the consulate fortress in Chiang Mai, if you travel around the world and compare the compounds (like the Chiang Mai compound) with those of similar importance of other nations, you will see a huge difference regarding their appearance and security when compared to that of other countries. You don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Okay. So, do some local research on your own, or report on your experience. Check out the diplomatic facilities of various countries in Chiang Mai. What do you find? And I am NOT talking about how expensive various paperwork tasks might be, as I have seen with reference to the British consulate in town!! People from Oz and a lot of others have to go to Bangkok to get anything serious done! Be thankful! Anyway, no need to identify the country. Don't, in fact. No need to.