The past week I have been struggling with a constipation of my bowel. Haven't has a bowel movement for 6 days now. But that is not what this thread is about. I visited the red cross hospital in Sri Racha on Tuesday, where they took X-rays, on which they could see the stool in the bowel, but not the reason for the blockage. I was prescribed a laxative (Laevolac and Senokot) which didn't give any improvement, and a follow up appointment on Thursday. So I went there again yesterday, and told there was still no bowel movement and asked for a stronger laxative, and was referred to the gastroenterology department There they wanted X-rays again. I don't see why the X-rays from 2 days earlier weren't good enough, and of course the result of the new rays showed the same as the previous ones. Then I was told they could not give laxative without a CT-scan, as it might cause complications. Hello I was on a 2 day course of ineffective laxatives already. Anyway, accepting the CT-scan was my only option, and was told they suspected colon cancer I later looked up the early symptoms of colon cancer, and I have never experienced any of them. I always have had a healthy stool, have a diet that includes vegetables and fruits daily, a well as exercise on a regular base. This is the first constipation I ever experienced. So they started loading me with some liquids. One was 1 liter of normal saline, and 2 smaller bottles, of which one was an antibiotic I was told. I don't know the names as they are not on the receipt. The two small bottles were completely emptied through Intravenous infusion, while the normal saline only for about 20% or less. 5 hours and 16.500 baht later the CT-scan was completed. The result was the same as the X-rays, as that they couldn't see the cause of the blockage, there weren't any indications of a cancer either. I think they call it mesh? They discovered a 6mm stone in one of my kidneys though. I was prescribed the same ineffective Laevolac So in short, the CT-scan was just a waste of money and not needed at all. But at the end of the CT-scan they said we gonna drip feed you the entire bottle (at least 80% left) of normal saline as it is protective for your kidneys. And here we get to the point of my thread. Today my kidney hurts as never before, so I started googling if normal saline in beneficial for kidneys, and below are the results. In short, they were aware of my kidney issue, yet intentionally decided to make it worse. https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC6531391/ AbstractIntravenous 0.9% saline has saved countless lives since it was introduced over a century ago. It remains the most widespread crystalloid in both adult and pediatric practice. However, in recent years, evidence of deleterious effects is accruing. These include increased mortality, acute kidney injury (AKI), metabolic acidosis, and coagulopathy. The predominant cause for these sequelae appears to be the excess chloride concentration of 0.9% saline relative to plasma. This has led to development of balanced isotonic solutions such as PlasmaLyte. This review summarizes current evidence for adverse effects of chloride-rich intravenous fluid and considers whether 0.9% saline should still be used in 2018 or abandoned as a historical treatment in favor of balanced crystalloid solutions. https://www.pulmccm.org/p/normal-saline-toxic-to-kidneys-chloride-solutions-may-cause-renal-failure-jama Normal saline: toxic to kidneys? Chloride solutions may cause renal failure https://www.bmj.com/content/360/bmj.k950 Using saline as intravenous fluid treatment is associated with a higher risk of death and kidney complications than balanced crystalloid solutions in critically and non-critically ill adults admitted to hospital, two pragmatic randomised studies have shown.1