A court in Bali has sentenced a Swiss tourist to one year in prison for insulting a sacred Hindu observance, after he posted messages online during the island’s Day of Silence. Luzian Andrin Zgraggen, 26, was convicted on Thursday by the Denpasar District Court of violating Indonesia’s new criminal code. The court found that he posted social media content about Nyepi, known locally as the Day of Silence, when people are expected to stay at home and remain quiet while meditating. Bali’s Day of SilenceNyepi usually takes place in March. On the day, Bali’s beaches and streets are empty, with only special patrols operating to help ensure the observance is followed. The restrictions also include shutting the airport and switching off the internet. The rules apply to everyone on the island, regardless of religion or nationality. Posts Defied the ShutdownThe court said Zgraggen continued with his behaviour even after staff at the villa where he was staying informed him of the rules. Prosecutors said the tourist posted messages to social media saying he had ignored the restrictions that bar residents and visitors from leaving their homes or accommodation except in emergencies. In Instagram posts and accompanying video clips shared online, Zgraggen showed himself smiling at the camera and described walking to a beach during the observance. In one video, he referred to the tradition as “crazy” and used an expletive. Condemnation and ArrestThe posts were widely shared on social media and drew condemnation from Balinese residents, who said the content was disrespectful. Authorities tracked Zgraggen down after public complaints and arrested him at a villa in Legian, a tourist area near Kuta Beach. Court Findings and DefenceAt the hearing, which began in June, the Swiss tourist told the court he had not intended to insult the Hindu holiday or the Balinese people. He said he made the posts while hungry and frustrated that he could not obtain food during the shutdown, and he added that he had not fully understood the scope of the restrictions. In his defence plea, Zgraggen said he regretted what he did and apologised. The judge said Zgraggen’s actions offended Balinese people, harmed their faith and provoked public anger, and that he needed to be held accountable. Officials have previously detained foreign and domestic tourists for leaving their accommodation during Nyepi, but such cases have often been resolved without prosecution. Join the discussion? 21 August 2026
View full article