Any Payap Uni Students Out There?

lukeskywalker

Hello,

I am seriously considering jumping into Payap University's MBA program.

Are there are TV members here that can comment on the school and its quality of teaching? Are there any graduates who have gone on to get good jobs here in Asia because of the MBA from Payap?

Any information, suggestions, comments, etc. about this would be appreciated before I sign-up and pay the money (70,000 per semester and 5 semesters needed).

Thanks,

Luke

Edited by lukeskywalker

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does seriously no one have any input, comments or suggestions about Payap Uni? I thought for sure I would have gotten quite a few comments back.

This is a big commitment (both time and money), and I would really like some people's experience with the school.

What about Chiang Mai Uni International MBA programs? Any comments there?

Thanks,

You may want to verify that the Payap MBA is an international MBA and not just a Thai MBA. A Thai MBA Won't Hold any value outside of Thailand and maybe not much value inside of Thailand.

Payaps main reason for existing is to serve students who can not pass the entrance exam, but have money and need a degree as Thai Businesses/Government require degrees for some pretty low end jobs.

Payap is not considered a very good school here, but the ladies will think you are rich.

Hello,

Are there are TV members here that can comment on the school and its quality of teaching? Are there any graduates who have gone on to get good jobs here in Asia because of the MBA from Payap?

Any information, suggestions, comments, etc. about this would be appreciated before I sign-up and pay the money (70,000 per semester and 5 semesters needed).

Thanks,

Luke

I too would like to know more about Chiang Mai universities that offer International Programs. Visiting Payap and CMU websites is of some help, but it would certainly be more interesting to here from former/current students faculty and people who know people (but not people who know people who know people because then it's just speculation.)

Surely someone on these boards has some informative/interesting input?

Depends on your goals. For career, not a huge asset. For learning about Thailand, pretty good. For enjoying the Thai university environment, good.

Why would getting an MBA not be a huge asset for my career? Most people in the world do not have a 4 year degree much less a masters.

Also, I checked and Payap is an internationally recognized school, not just within Thailand.

So, let me get this straight. You ask for opinions once. No takers, so you ask again. You don't like what you hear back, so you argue against it with spurious statements like "most people in the world don't have a degree" and "Payap is internationally recognized." Then an old post surfaces laying out your life plans. Pushing 40, you want to settle in Thailand, chase young girls until your parents die, then live off your inheritance. Super. I think you're probably too smart for a master's and perhaps should just be granted an honorary doctorate. Super.

For what it's worth, I personally believe an MBA from Payap would be a complete waste of time and money, but good luck with that anyway.

Could you please explain why you would consider it a waste of time and money? Is it because Payap is no good or that any MBA from any school is a waste? Please expound on you reasonings.

One source of information: http://www.careerdynamo.com/asia_mba.html

There are probably more. Payap, of course, is not listed, but there are other Thai schools listed here. If you find Payap listed on any rating of business schools, international or Thai, people would certainly welcome hearing about it.

One of course has to pay up to get into Payap. It is a private school.

Hello,

Thanks,

Luke

This is a joke hoax thread right?? if so read on...

i did meet 9 beautiful payap girls at bike week selling beer and giving out name tags when you go in the front ..i am not sure if they were MBA'S or not.... but they were knock outs some drop dead beautiful and the last night of bike week most wanted to party....

i suggest waiting until this years bike week ,go drink beer and ask them about payup-payup!

Edited by gatorhead333

Pay-Up University. Thanks gatorhead. :)

with payap it is many beautiful girls that can could never get into the big U >>chiang mai U,so the local CM girls /woman have a play on words ,they say payap -payap so they say it twice but tone is a bit different last one goes up ..maybe..anyway u r saying the schools name first time then "wrinkly shirt" next word?..somehow?, i do not know but heard this many times over the years...

they are implying the girls at payap get there shirts real wrinkled alot...

some of you that know your thai may well know what is ment by this play on words that thailand is famous for..

it is saying the girls are not serious students they party a lot thus ending the night with wrinkled shirts ...

.....i guess...

payay- payap !!

Edited by gatorhead333

Payap is basically for students who couldn't get into CMU but didn't want to leave CM and had the $ to pay. Now they are facing competition from local schools and their enrollment is plummeting. Also the way things are run there are not befitting of a University.

Stay away, I think The University of Phoenix online would be a better investment of your time and money.

I see many different comments from people who think they know what they are talking about. Since they are not students of Payap, they really have no idea about the quality of teaching at Payap. However, I have been a student at Payap for 2 years. My 3rd year starts next week. I am close to the head of the IMBA program. I think I have a valid opinion on Payap. My opinion is from the perspective of an undergraduate but I do work with the IMBA students due to the fact that I am a retired U.S. Army soldier and I am often asked for my opinion about different things.

It is true...it is easy to get into Payap, but it is not easy to graduate. You still have to do the work to get the grade. Students do fail their classes because they don't do the work. If they fail their class, they have to take the entire class over and their GPA suffers.

The text books are all in English. All the teaching is done in English.

In the IMBA program, most of the instructors have PhD's. Those that don't can only teach the basic courses. There is a lot of group work and individual work in the IMBA program.

From what I can see, the biggest problem with Payap is the instructors sometimes have to go a little slower because the students who do not speak English as their native language. The next problem is students not doing their homework and reading the assigned chapters before their next class. The next problem is students who put partying as more of a priority that studying. However, this is more of a problem with the undergrads than the graduate students in the IMBA program.

Classes for the undergrads start next week. If you would like me to introduce you to the head of the IMBA program, Dr. Somboon, I can do that. He is very approachable but often quite busy. His English is excellent.

You do get an education visa for as long as your a student at Payap. I have extended my visa with Payap twice. Payap does have someone in charge of helping the foreigners with obtaining a visa. He is very good at his job. You are told to get a visa for education before your school starts. Payap will give you the paperwork to take to the Thai embassy to get the education visa. This will expire in one year. Before your visa expires you pay a visit to the man at the Payap visa office. He tells you what paperwork he needs from you. You go get the paperwork he tells you and return to him. He arranges all the correct Payap paperwork Chiang Mai immigration needs from you and he sends you to immigration with a packet made by you and Payap. Immigration looks at it and issues you the education visa extension.

All the rooms are air conditioned. Classes are on the weekend for the IMBA students and during the week for the undergrad programs. You have all week to do your homework, work or do whatever you want to do during the week. There are probably 7 or 8 students in a class. The teacher quality last semester was excellent. One teacher was from the Warton school of business, another use to work in the world bank, the accounting teacher was a retired U.S. Airforce guy (excellent teacher), and the others have other outstanding qualities.

Don't expect them to hand you a diploma just because you pay your money. The International College at Payap may be part of Payap but it's standards are western. If you don't do the work, you will fail and your money will have been wasted.

So you ask the question, is Payap a good school. I ask the question, are you a good student?

For more information on Payap University and their international program check out their website (in English) at http://ic.payap.ac.th/

Edited by richard10365

I happen to have had some dealings with payap and know employees there. I would have to say that the way things are run are getting worse.

Maybe if all you have to deal with is going to class and taking a test then you are fine. But when it comes to trying to get something signed and you have to go to 7 different departments and find out the international programs have to be signed off by the Thai directors etc you will be a bit more aggravated. I know the numbers have been dropping steadily, I know people who run these numbers. I also know foreign instructors who have left because the headache was not worth it.

I don't feel that it is worth the money. However I also don't like certain restaurants and makes of cars due to other personal experiences.

Take my observations with as much salt as any other review.

I see many different comments from people who think they know what they are talking about. Since they are not students of Payap, they really have no idea about the quality of teaching at Payap. However, I have been a student at Payap for 2 years. My 3rd year starts next week. I am close to the head of the IMBA program. I think I have a valid opinion on Payap. My opinion is from the perspective of an undergraduate but I do work with the IMBA students due to the fact that I am a retired U.S. Army soldier and I am often asked for my opinion about different things.

It is true...it is easy to get into Payap, but it is not easy to graduate. You still have to do the work to get the grade. Students do fail their classes because they don't do the work. If they fail their class, they have to take the entire class over and their GPA suffers.

The text books are all in English. All the teaching is done in English.

In the IMBA program, most of the instructors have PhD's. Those that don't can only teach the basic courses. There is a lot of group work and individual work in the IMBA program.

From what I can see, the biggest problem with Payap is the instructors sometimes have to go a little slower because the students who do not speak English as their native language. The next problem is students not doing their homework and reading the assigned chapters before their next class. The next problem is students who put partying as more of a priority that studying. However, this is more of a problem with the undergrads than the graduate students in the IMBA program.

Classes for the undergrads start next week. If you would like me to introduce you to the head of the IMBA program, Dr. Somboon, I can do that. He is very approachable but often quite busy. His English is excellent.

You do get an education visa for as long as your a student at Payap. I have extended my visa with Payap twice. Payap does have someone in charge of helping the foreigners with obtaining a visa. He is very good at his job. You are told to get a visa for education before your school starts. Payap will give you the paperwork to take to the Thai embassy to get the education visa. This will expire in one year. Before your visa expires you pay a visit to the man at the Payap visa office. He tells you what paperwork he needs from you. You go get the paperwork he tells you and return to him. He arranges all the correct Payap paperwork Chiang Mai immigration needs from you and he sends you to immigration with a packet made by you and Payap. Immigration looks at it and issues you the education visa extension.

All the rooms are air conditioned. Classes are on the weekend for the IMBA students and during the week for the undergrad programs. You have all week to do your homework, work or do whatever you want to do during the week. There are probably 7 or 8 students in a class. The teacher quality last semester was excellent. One teacher was from the Warton school of business, another use to work in the world bank, the accounting teacher was a retired U.S. Airforce guy (excellent teacher), and the others have other outstanding qualities.

Don't expect them to hand you a diploma just because you pay your money. The International College at Payap may be part of Payap but it's standards are western. If you don't do the work, you will fail and your money will have been wasted.

So you ask the question, is Payap a good school. I ask the question, are you a good student?

For more information on Payap University and their international program check out their website (in English) at http://ic.payap.ac.th/

What standing does a Payap Mba degree have anywhere on earth once you pay your money?

i am happy for you and all others paying your money to get Ed. visa that the rooms have A.C. but does this push Payap up to international standards ?

I would think you would be better off taking courses on the internet thru a internationally known U. but then of course no Ed visa

as far as teachers go i think you mean Wharton not warton

one teacher from wharton and one from the banking industry ..well there are many many teachers in the world many some great ,some good,some juts o.k. some bad and some teaching at Payap .

A big, big plus for Payap is they have the highest density of bautfiul girls ,the ones that no other U in CM would accept which is very nice.

Edited by gatorhead333

I cannot get the CMU English section of their website to work so I'll ask here.

Does CMU offer an International MBA? If not, that means that Payap is the only school in Chiang Mai that does correct? Payap would be my only option correct?

CMU does not have to troll for bucks this is national Thai U/ school that graduates Md's ,Veternarians,etc. it is a real U. t seems you are confusing private make money school for real big time U's . one would imgine that this assumption is a mistake .

don't even mention CMU it in same sentance as Payup.. it soes have in common clasrooms and students..

payap will offer anything that collect money.if you want to learn something while in CM that may have real merit internationally then go to internet and look at the many real schools that offer this! then you may end up with something of merit .

Edited by gatorhead333

I cannot get the CMU English section of their website to work so I'll ask here.

Does CMU offer an International MBA? If not, that means that Payap is the only school in Chiang Mai that does correct? Payap would be my only option correct?

CMU does offer International MBA's. The English website, as you say, doesn't work. Suggest you visit them for details. CMU is well-respected, particularly in the fields of Medicine, Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine. As for their International MBA's, I haven't seen CMU on any relevant league tables, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't any good. Costwise, you might be pleasantly surprised.

The information about CMU being a government university is not correct. It is a private institution now just like Payap. It did start as a government institution but it changed a few years ago. Sorry to break the news to you. They are trolling now a days too.

The problem with studying at CMU is its international program is taught in English and Thai because it's students cannot speak English well enough. So the instructors resort to speaking Thai. At Payap, all instruction and classes are taught in English.

The international program at Payap has only been around for 5 years so the rumor that it's getting worse is a false one from someone who does not know what he is talking about. I study and I can say it is getting better.

About getting things signed to get something done, that is at all universities in Thailand to one degree or another.

Feel free to study someplace else. I would prefer that the people with the negative attitudes at Payap study someplace else. I wouldn't want them as classmates at Payap. It sounds like they would be more of a hindrance to learning than a bad teacher.

About a Payap international MBA degree and it's standing. There are tens of thousands of universities around the world teaching English MBA degrees. What standing do any of them have over the other. I'm sure even the best universities produce some of the worst graduates if the student is not a very good student.

Like I said before, what kind of student do you expect to be. If you're the type who studies very little then it really doesn't matter where you study. You won't learn much. If your self motivated and smart enough to read a book and grasp what your text book and teacher is trying to teach you then you might learn a great deal.

The information about CMU being a government university is not correct. It is a private institution now just like Payap. It did start as a government institution but it changed a few years ago. Sorry to break the news to you. They are trolling now a days too.

The problem with studying at CMU is its international program is taught in English and Thai because it's students cannot speak English well enough. So the instructors resort to speaking Thai. At Payap, all instruction and classes are taught in English.

The international program at Payap has only been around for 5 years so the rumor that it's getting worse is a false one from someone who does not know what he is talking about. I study and I can say it is getting better.

About getting things signed to get something done, that is at all universities in Thailand to one degree or another.

Feel free to study someplace else. I would prefer that the people with the negative attitudes at Payap study someplace else. I wouldn't want them as classmates at Payap. It sounds like they would be more of a hindrance to learning than a bad teacher.

About a Payap international MBA degree and it's standing. There are tens of thousands of universities around the world teaching English MBA degrees. What standing do any of them have over the other. I'm sure even the best universities produce some of the worst graduates if the student is not a very good student.

Like I said before, what kind of student do you expect to be. If you're the type who studies very little then it really doesn't matter where you study. You won't learn much. If your self motivated and smart enough to read a book and grasp what your text book and teacher is trying to teach you then you might learn a great deal.

WHAT? CMU IS NOT a PUBLIC U ? Please............ tell the 32,000 students there..maybe let the royal family know too..

CMU turns away thousands and thousands of young people trying to get in each semster .

payap has no standing not even in t-land it is a big funny...except there is no joking around if you like to gander at all the beautiful short skirted payap girls doing their payap strut ... very nice!! Payap has mucho standing in that department!!

that is what payap is all about !! If you want to dilly daly around get your ed. visa while wasting time getting a piece of paper worth nothing at pyap that is o.k. too .go for it and if you teach at payap i guess your just happy you have a job.... but nobody is aying it isn't a great place to kill time while you get your easy ed. visa it is a great place for that!! eveybody get in to payap so if you have the bucks you have a visa for many years and it is easy they help you...so gofor it.

below is off the web maybe they are all wrong too,maybe the word public has change meaning on some galaxies.

founded in January 1964, in a Royal Charter granted by His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej. CMU, or Mor Chor as it is known locally, was the first institute of higher education in the north, and the first provincial university in Thailand.

Chiang Mai University

มหาวิทยาลัยเชียงใหม่

Type:

Public

Prof. Pongsak Angkasith

2,171 (2007)[1]

31,992 (2007)[2]

Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Thailand

18°48′09″N 98°57′06″E / 18.802587°N 98.951556°E / 18.802587; 98.951556

Purple

Affiliations:

ASAIHL

www.cmu.ac.th

Edited by gatorhead333

I understand as in many countries all of the universities were changed to a sort of private status in that their staff were no longer counted as Government Employees and are semi autonomous institutions.

Google search uncovered this gem

Times Education Supplement.

13 August 1999

Matthew Pennington

BANGKOK

Thailand is pushing for all state-run universities to become independent of the government bureaucracy by the end of 2002 despite staff resistance to losing their civil servant status.

Abhisit Vejjajiva, 35, the Oxford-educated premier's office minister who has emerged as the bright young hope in the rough house of Thai politics, is a key mover behind the reforms to give universities budgetary autonomy.

"The idea of universities moving out of the civil service goes back 30 years but we've had little success in moving forward," he said. "There is a great deal of inefficiency in the administration of universities, which is common in the civil service as a whole."

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/stor...;sectioncode=26

It was apparently required by international loans and universities are now funded by block grants as in many western countries.

I think it may differ from Payap in the terms of it's receipt of Block grants.

Edited by harrry