Windows Vista Very Slow Starting Up

tomartoh

Since about 4 days ago my normally fairly speedy vista laptop has gone up to about 7 minutes to reach the log in screen from maybe 1 minute

I checked for virus and malware and nothing. No new programs. Nothing different on start up list.

Any ideas what to do next??

Since about 4 days ago my normally fairly speedy vista laptop has gone up to about 7 minutes to reach the log in screen from maybe 1 minute

I checked for virus and malware and nothing. No new programs. Nothing different on start up list.

awesome topic for bikes in thailand forum

maybe try general topic for an answer...

:)

First thing I'd do....run defragment on your drive. Use the defragment ultilty in the start-up programs on the left side of the Vista start-up screen..once that that Vista gets up fully. My guess is that someone started Vista but shut down or just turned computer off before it finished setting up. There is a lot of programs that come in at start-up, then should remove themselves once Visa is fully up. IK'm guessing that Vista was started, but turned off before completeion and therefore theses setup programs are still in there taking up space. Now when you start there isn't enough free disk space for another copy of the start-up programs to load....which is why it's taking so long. So first thing is defrag the hard drive...see if that gets more room available.

If taht doesn't work try using a third party utility called System Mechanic Pro. It will look at your system and find problems. It also removes "clutter" that ties up disk space and takes memory space. You can find it on the internet, but it costs $49.95 to download (pay with crdit card.)

:D

Assuming it's genuine Vista Update it to Windows 7 online for free

There is no free update to Windows 7. Windows 7 has not even been released yet. What is now available is an RC version that will expire next year and can not be updated.

There is no free update to Windows 7. Windows 7 has not even been released yet. What is now available is an RC version that will expire next year and can not be updated.

Sorry my mistake free update on June 26th :)

Sorry my mistake free update on June 26th :)

If pigs really fly. The way I read the report was that new installs of Vista will have a coupon for free updates to Win 7 whenever it is released. Not that those who have already paid there money would get anything. Would love to be wrong about that though.

Its a legal original installation of vista, 15 months old

I tried defrag and no difference

i tried system restore as far back as i could which was 5 days and no difference so i undid that

i went in start up bios and put hard drive priority, no difference

it used to be fairly quick to start up, in fact i never had any problems before with vista

avg 8.5 is uptodate and so is malwarebytes and defender etc is on and cannot find any virus

there is no apparent action in the hard drive for about 7 minute, ie the hd action light does not come on to begin with then comes on when its gets going

there is nothing new in start up programs

fingers crossed the computer is not packing up, lost without it in the backwoods of thailand

Anymore suggestions appreciated

Guest Reimar

Check the Bios! Maybe it's time to update the Bios?!

Maybe you try the following. Vista has Windows Easy Transfer (Start ->Accessories ->System Tools ->Windows Easy Transfer). Copy all relevant infos, Programs, Settings, Data to an external drive. Reinstall Vista using a clean install. Use Windows Easy Transfer again for to copy back all data.

From my own experiences, I had huge problems with AVG (v. 8 and 8.5) on Vista as on Windows 7 as well and instead of the paid AVG I now use ClamWin again without any problems.

Cheers.

Oh thanks Reimar, you just confirm what i have done

It was the AVG 8.5. I went through the windows tools and performance stuff and came across a pop up window that gave me the answer. It said AVG 8.5 was in start up slowing down the boot up . So i just disabled it from start up and lo and behold, back to normal.

So when i open the AVG user interface i find everything is still active!

I was also having problems with firefox but they have gone now as well

I am ok at at bits and pieces and looking around the computer , but redoing vista is another matter. So now i am going to go through and give a spring clean and get rid of all the crap i dont use and maybe replace AVG

Thanks everyone, even the motorcyclist

Back to slow boot up again

disabled avg from start up and boot up back to normal, once

this morning back to 7 min slow boot up again, event viewer says isdegradation 100 local service

have uninstalled avg and still slow boot up

i have trawled throught the internet and although i find lots of occasions of the same problems, i dont find any answers that have worked

QUESTION???? can i load windows 7 onto vista? and will it correct vista problems? ie my slow boot up

Guest Reimar
Back to slow boot up again

disabled avg from start up and boot up back to normal, once

this morning back to 7 min slow boot up again, event viewer says isdegradation 100 local service

have uninstalled avg and still slow boot up

i have trawled throught the internet and although i find lots of occasions of the same problems, i dont find any answers that have worked

QUESTION???? can i load windows 7 onto vista? and will it correct vista problems? ie my slow boot up

You can upgrade from Vista to Windows 7! But I suggest that you use procedure I posted before and use Windows Easy Transfer (WET) for to copy your Programs pp, but onlt the "good one!

WET works well in Vista and Windows 7 and is part of both OS.

Cheers.