Hydroponics Suppliers ?

Hello thescot, TIT, you call or you go, thats the only way to get an answer. What are you looking for? I have an 2-3 YO price list I think?? and can post the price, may take a day as I'm still running a bit behind. I think they haven't fixed their phone system yet either, 'press 1 for english' or what ever it was.

rice555

rice555 thanks for the offer but it was just to get a head's up before going there. I'll be going to ACK tomorrow for some nute mixes, seeds and a few other nits and bobs as well as a quick look around. I have been interested in starting hydroponics on a small scale for personal use for some time now but getting around to starting has always been the problem. I've read most of your previous posts along with others and have enjoyed the advice and experiences you've passed on.

Today i completed building an aero system and after buying the parts it took less than 1hr to assemble. The total cost was less than 1K baht and the system is exactly of the same construction of the one shown in the "how to hydroponics" book posted by jantea in another previous post. All i need now is something to put in the contraption. I want to try some different vegtables like cucumber, chillies, fuc_kyouw (excuse the spelling) first off to see how i get on then hopfully i can experiment with others and maybe get to the stage of expanding to a larger scale.

Thanks again

Thescot

can anyone supply any prices for any or all the hydroponic equipment and accessories that ACK supply. I sent amail to them last week but as yet have not had any reply. Thanks in advance.

Thescot

Off hand no - but I can tell you it ain't cheap - there is tons of info on the net which you can use to DIY a setup from, at far less than it would cost to purchase a kit from a dealer.

What is hydroponics after all? - pvc piping/fittings, a pump (fishtank pump does quite well on small setups), recirculating water flow, liquid nutrient (that could be a bit diffcult to formulate and mix up at home), but other than for the nutrients, its mostly hardware you can purchase from a hardware store

Sorry rice555 i've just read this on my return from ACK. They gave me a price list and at least half of what was on it they didn't have. They had nutes for thai veg (lettuce/leaf type) and i got the last A+B of cucumber nutes which i will be using for the veg that flowers ...i.e cucumber, chillies, fuk youw!! etc. I got some of the lettuce nutes too so i will probably try growing some of that stuff but i'll need to set up another system.

If things start out okay i may be interested in buying nutes from a larger supplier like wesco as you have previously mentioned in an earlier post. This is a wee bit further on in time though but i'm an impatient fuc_k_r. I have a few nute recipe's after searching variuos places but i still need to get my head around micro nutrients and their quantaties for adding.

If i have any success i'll post an update later.....

Thescot

can anyone supply any prices for any or all the hydroponic equipment and accessories that ACK supply. I sent amail to them last week but as yet have not had any reply. Thanks in advance.

Thescot

Similar experience - got a reply to my first email but the subsequent seeking clarification ignored! Dropping in from Khon Khen is not an option.

Email to Wesco brought immediate telephone responce and a long interesting conversation. Waiting for photos etc to load now to email them to Wesco for further advice on required chemicals.

Gents ....need your help again!!!!

I got the wife to read the mixing instructions for the nutes we bought from ACK as it was in Thai.

'A' mixed into a 5 litre bottle and 'B' the same and here comes the confusing bit. It then says to add 120ml of 'A' to 20 litres of water and again the same with 'B'.

Question: is it correct to mix 120ml of both 'A' + 'B' into the same 20 litres (total 20 litres of nutrients)

or

is it correct to mix 120ml of 'A' into 20 litres and then 120ml of 'B' into an additional 20 litres (total 40 litres of nutrients)

Your help appreciated in getting me off on the right foot.

thescot

Edited by thescot

Hello the scot, sorry I'm poor at metrics, but if you got liquid nutes, it's 1 part A & B to 100 parts water which get you close to an EC of 1.0/ CF 10. Depending what your growing.

I always got dry nutes so I didn't have to pay shipping on water. My 5lt kit gave me 5lt of A and 5lt of B, at 1 to 100 gives me 500lt.(depending on the EC/CE I need, it maybe less than 500 total)(close enough for govt work for easy math) Find the EC of the plant your growing needs and mix for that. You got to find the sweet spot, it may be up, it may be a RCH lower. A EC/CF meter is a must, or your spraying the walls, with NTF/DFT or bed/bubbler system more so than my simple run to waste system and the yard plants/trees love the drippings.

Don't mix all you A & B up, you may need it to adjust things along the way to keep your EC/CF adjusted in your system.

Good luck with you growing.

rice555

A 1L to 5L water.

B 1L to 5L water.

Add all of A to res, wait 4 hours add all of B.

I used this method to grow leafies.

I import my nutes in dry 1kgs bags, cheaper and better quaility. I use General Hydroponic brand.

You may find that ACK a&b don't have the power that you are looking for to grow other veggies then leafies.

Mr. Rice555, mixes up his own and buys bulk which is a great way to do it here, as he knows what he gets.

What's in the A&B is an anyones guess. While at Bangsai gardens I watched them make'n up there A&B mix. I've seen better measureing and mixing on a hog farm.

So If you are looking to do more then just play with leafies, I recomend looking for a premixed dry nute supply or read a bit and mix your own.

I grow mostly peppers in hydro, with some home veggies on the side, useing bubbler and recirculate methods. never tried the airo yet. Little to finicky for me, to easy to plug.

Anyway happy farm'n

Gents thanks for the replies...

Firstly my nutes are the dry pre mixed A&B. They are for thai vegtables (lettuce). I also bought their dry mix for cucumber which has absolutely no instructions give or on the packs.The sales woman said to mix the same quantities as the veg mix....guess i'll just have to take her word for it.

Now i am confused by Rice555 and 500lts from his A & B 5lt mixes. I was looking for a reply to either 20 or 40 litres total but now the 500 has thrown me even more??

I know it's going to be trial and error but i was looking at getting a decent start especially from a pre mix and i'm also an impatient fuc_k_r. I will look at getting a EC meter either here or when i holiday in the UK next month.

I would still like to hear from anyone who has used the dry nutes from ACK with success as to what total quantity of nutrients they were able to mix from their 5 litres of A and 5 litres of B.

I have attached one of the mixing instructions to see if anyone can understand the instructions better than my misus.

Thanks again

thescot

post-28386-1244884280_thumb.jpg

Hello thescot, first, what I said about 500lt, is that is what a 5lt kit will make. you will not be needing it at one time, I do.

100 shot glasses of water, 1 shot of A, 1 shot of B gives you a working solution ie- 1 to 100, you may need to adjust up or down to get the right EC/CF to grow your greens/lettuce. I didn't bring pH into the picture either.

ACK told me to add A to 5lt of water in a jug, the same with B! when I needed to make the working stock(plant food) of 100lt, add 90lt of water, add .90lt A and mix. Add .90lt of B and mix and check the EC/CF and work fwd. from there to get what you need. Don't add all your water at first, you may make it to strong(EC/CF above what you need. if your at 2.2 and you need 2.0, how do you add more water if you tank is full).

After doing it a few times, you'll learn the tricks.

ON another TV hydro post, I posted EC/CF and pH for most of what everybody's growing except cantaloupe, much different than cuks.

Most large hydro growing operations don't mix and wait, they use dosing on the fly, same with NTF systems, the nutrients are monitored and adjusted in real time. Automatic dosing systems, ACK and Accent both us them, as all big hydro farms do except Bangsai, one of the weak points of there DFT systems.

rice555

Thanks again Rice555,

Okay if my second larger guess mix was to be correct as per the mixing instructions (ratio:1 nute x 17 water mix) 120ml x 20 litres

'A' 5lt would give 83lts and 'B' 5lt would give another 83lts giving a total of 166lts. I guess too much nutes would damage the plants and not enough would slow growth.

If what you mixed worked good then i may have to dilute slightly when the seedlings are ready to be moved and i need to mix A&B. The ph is the easy part i just need to get an EC meter to get things in order before harping on about the mixing any more.

I'll keep you posted.

thescot

• 4 weeks later...
Hello thescot, first, what I said about 500lt, is that is what a 5lt kit will make. you will not be needing it at one time, I do.

100 shot glasses of water, 1 shot of A, 1 shot of B gives you a working solution ie- 1 to 100, you may need to adjust up or down to get the right EC/CF to grow your greens/lettuce. I didn't bring pH into the picture either.

ACK told me to add A to 5lt of water in a jug, the same with B! when I needed to make the working stock(plant food) of 100lt, add 90lt of water, add .90lt A and mix. Add .90lt of B and mix and check the EC/CF and work fwd. from there to get what you need. Don't add all your water at first, you may make it to strong(EC/CF above what you need. if your at 2.2 and you need 2.0, how do you add more water if you tank is full).

After doing it a few times, you'll learn the tricks.

ON another TV hydro post, I posted EC/CF and pH for most of what everybody's growing except cantaloupe, much different than cuks.

Most large hydro growing operations don't mix and wait, they use dosing on the fly, same with NTF systems, the nutrients are monitored and adjusted in real time. Automatic dosing systems, ACK and Accent both us them, as all big hydro farms do except Bangsai, one of the weak points of there DFT systems.

rice555

Hi Rice,

had a very plesent meeting with Wesco and enclose their recipie for comments. Also their prices are way cheaper that bangSai - I worked it to 160 baht for 10L each of A and B. While they seem to do the main chemicals in 25kilo bags the lesser ones come in smaller amount - see the attached invoice. Also their freight charge is better than bangsai - this one also included all my bangkok shopping!!

Doc1.doc

Doc1.doc

bobby57,

Great info.

Excuse me for asking a silly question regarding the 1:100. Does this apply for after you have mixed your 10L then from the recipe supplied. It is then 1 part of the concentrate 10L mixed with 100 parts water.

Thanks

Thescot

Edited by thescot

Hello thescot, to make it real simple, you not buying liquid nutrient kit that is ready to go, ie ready to mix 1(1 each of a & :) to 100(water). A dry 10lt nutrient kit, you mix part A with 10lt of water and put in jug A. You mix b with 10lt of water and put in jug B. This now the same as if you bought a 'liquid' kit, only you didn't get the jugs(2) and water. They both, liquid & and dry kits(dry after you add water to make the kit size, 5lt-10lt to make your a & :D, both mix 1 to 100 to grow you plants. That's the basics with the small tweak's up and down to get the right EC/CF or what ever system you use, don't forget the pH.

Again, 1 part of A of a liquid or mixed up dry kit, 1 part B of liquid or mixed up dry kit to 100 parts water give you 1 to 100 working stock.

To get what you want, you need to work with your meter/s and/or pH test kit to get the number you want.

rice555

ps, don't fill you tank full of water and the add the full amount of A-B, fill 80-90% with water, add 80-90% of the A and mix, add 80-90% of the B and mix. Check with you meter to see where your numbers are. More water and tweak with A and B as needed, don't forget the mixing when you add things so you get a good reading from your meter.

After a few times, the tank becomes easier fill and mix. You can add, if you have to take out to get the numbers, your loosing time and money.

Rice555,

Thanks for the conformation on the nutes. Is the recipe from Bobby57 the same as you use and with good results?

My small trials of 3 different systems have gone really well with all the different types of veg growing crazy since i posted the last pics. The roots are real long and white which is a good sign. Small tweaks to get the EC/PH to remain consistant but otherwise easy as pie (so far) and just waiting a wee bit longer to sample. My next plan is expand but not sure if i'm going to use my spare rai or just take up more space in our home garden. The problem with using the rai is no one will be there at night times and the rate of theft here at present i know what the outcome would be. I also plan to try more difficult plants like tomatoes, chillies etc after i return from a holiday back home with new seeds.

I'll post some more pics of my small set up later.

thescot

Hello thescot, sorry for the typo's and the smillie faces, they pop out on some things I type, and not when I want them, it's an OS problem. I haven't read the two files as I don't use windoz, and can't do doc files.

rice555

Hello thescot, thanks for the offer, I did get the copies from Jaideeguy.

The sheet with the formula/s that joeycano and I got on our trip to WESCO was not as good as the ones posted. The tom formula he gave us only had 600grms of PN, not the 700grms on the new sheet.

Most of the online hydro stores don't carry a full line of chems to mix your own, I've used Hydro Gardens in CO, USA as a rough guage as to what prices should be. Next week I need to see about getting a new bag of Cal Nit, now I know the new prices.

rice555

Excuse me for asking a silly question regarding the 1:100. Does this apply for after you have mixed your 10L then from the recipe supplied. It is then 1 part of the concentrate 10L mixed with 100 parts water.

I think Rice nasweed it ok but I'll shoot anyway. The formula from bangsai is really messy with adding one bit to 30 liters another to 20 liters and so on they bung em all together and topup! The Wesco is straight forward - just get 2 buckets - one A and the other B. Put 9 liters of water in each. Bung in the chemicals and stir about. Top up to 10 liters. In my case I make up 100 liters at a time so just multiply everything by 10. very straight forward after messing with the Bangsai mix. havent made any up yet but will advise resulte when I do. Still have a few hundred liters of bangSai stull to use up!

Bobby,

I thought it was as per Rice555's and your reply but just wanted to clarify as my future plans will require a supply from Wesco although i cant complain with my ACK nutes so far.

Just been playing with another sort of NFT/flood-drain system for 400 plants and should be finished tomorrow. My wife has persuaded me to cover the top only to keep the sun off and NOT to cover all as the previous set-up's don't seem to have been bothered by bugs. I will be planting the seeds directly into the system (perlite/vermiculite) to avoid transplanting later then explain a wee bit to the house keeper for when we go hols for 2 weeks and see what's up when we get back.

Thescot

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from 2 weeks hols and thought i would share a few more pics of my first small hydroponic trial. The neighbour who was looking after my property does not know anything about hydro and she filled up all the water containers with tap water and on my return all the EC/PH readings were off but better than dead plants. After the pics were taken most of the plants were removed for eating and shared with the neighbours. I have also included a picture of a new 550 piece set-up i planted before leaving for my hols. Mostly lettuce type plants with a few others added to try out (all seeds bought locally). Before leaving all were planted directly into the perlite/vermiculite mix rather than waiting for the seedlings to grow and then re-plant and approx 95% have germinated and are growing great. I brought back some "root riot" grow cubes and loads of various seeds from the UK and some imopted seeds from the US for a try. I'll post pics later if i have success with the new stuff.

thescot

post-28386-1249818416_thumb.jpg

post-28386-1249818843_thumb.jpg

post-28386-1249819078_thumb.jpg

post-28386-1249819108_thumb.jpg

post-28386-1249820389_thumb.jpg

Is anyone here in Thailand using rockwool for growing. It seems to be the favourite worldwide amongst hydroponic growers of fruit and veg (non-lettuce type). I have done various searches and the only place i can find it is on the price list i have from ACK which looks like they only supply slabs and not cubes. Any help would be greatful thanks. (can i cut up a slab to use as cubes?)

Thescot