Chiang Rai Airport Resumes Operation After Rat Attack

george

Chiang Rai airport resumes operation

CHIANG RAI: -- Chiang Rai International Airport resumed operations on Tuesday morning after the lighting system for the runways malfunctioned on Monday night and caused its closure.

Airport director Yutthana Kitchob-aree said two roundtrip flights from Bangkok to Chiang Rai and Chiang Rai to Bangkok were cancelled because of the runway blackout.

The airport's control tower had notified Thai Airways flight TG143 to return to Suvarnabhumi airport as the runways were not visible, he said.

Engineers reported that the wires were bitten through by rats.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-06-02

Scares the hel_l out of me that they seem to have followed std Thai building practice of not putting wiring in platic tubing.

What other essential equipement will be next - the radar?

Even in civilized Europe I have seen rats (and often mice) to bite through standard electric plastic tubing, water PVC pipes, standard and 'outdoor' fiber casings, etc. Metallic tubing is nowadays commonly employed for electrical wiring in industrial settings also to prevent this sort of issues.

It does not take much damage to short a circuit and cause somethign to blow up. Let's not speculate about building practices with the little info at hand...

You always have the option to fly off somewhere else. There are plenty of places with good construction standards...

Hasta luego

Edited by perax

Scares the hel_l out of me that they seem to have followed std Thai building practice of not putting wiring in platic tubing.

What other essential equipement will be next - the radar?

Even in civilized Europe I have seen rats (and often mice) to bite through standard electric plastic tubing, water PVC pipes, standard and 'outdoor' fiber casings, etc. Metallic tubing is nowadays commonly employed for electrical wiring in industrial settings also to prevent this sort of issues.

It does not take much damage to short a circuit and cause somethign to blow up. Let's not speculate about building practices with the little info at hand...

You always have the option to fly off somewhere else. There are plenty of places with good construction standards...

Hasta luego

Do you think we will get more info?

Also why is it that if anyone on TV critizes then someone always seem to say "then go somewhere else"? This is my home and has been for a long time, surely I have the right to be concerned. My parents live about 7Km from Chiang Rai and I fly up about 1 a month with my family.

Hasta luego

Do you think we will get more info?

Also why is it that if anyone on TV critizes then someone always seem to say "then go somewhere else"? This is my home and has been for a long time, surely I have the right to be concerned. My parents live about 7Km from Chiang Rai and I fly up about 1 a month with my family.

Simply because they have nothing else to say, and of course does one not have the right that if something is being or has been constructed thats it's wrong to expect the builder/designer to build the bloody thing safely, why should anyone of any nationality have to put up with crap and simply saying you have the option to go elseware is condoning the practise.

the trick is to either feed the rats proper food or place down rat poison. Rainy season is harsh for them as many of their natural foods are washed away. In fact even the rats drown when drains flood. Luminous lights are an alternative and used in Alaska.

Because the post was purely speculative.. you *assume* the wires were not protected, from there you seem to *infer* the radar system might be at risk as welll, and then you wrap it out in a FUD way that sounds like "the airport might be unsafe". As I said, if you think this airport is too riskly, fly off from soemwhere else.

Hear more about this? In some countries the local FSA authority would prepare a report on this sort of incidents. If you're 'really concerned' you might write to the relevant Thai organization and ask if they are willing to share the results. Aeroports also need to be certified, and an incident like this will likely pop up in the periodic audits. These might or might not be public documents. I do not think Thailand has enacted a FOIA act you could use to try to get them to release the report. Or, since your parent live so near, try to befriend somebody working at the airport and get the scoop from them. Migth be easier, cheaper and simpler.

You have the rigth to be concerned. You have the right to post whatever crosses your mind. I have the option to tell you what I think about your posts. I'm feeling a bit fed up with all these 'every thing in Thailand is done to crap standards' type of messages that pop up everywhere.

Pax vobis.

Edited by perax

You have the rigth to be concerned. You have the right to post whatever crosses your mind. I have the option to tell you what I think about your posts. I'm feeling a bit fed up with all these 'every thing in Thailand is done to crap standards' type of messages that pop up everywhere.

Pax vobis.

Of course you do have that right, the same as frequently quoted {if you don't like it go somewhere else} a very constructive and intelligent argument indeed, perhaps if you are fed up with hearing it you unsubscribe to TV, the same logic applies. :)

Of course you do have that right, the same as frequently quoted {if you don't like it go somewhere else} a very constructive and intelligent argument indeed, perhaps if you are fed up with hearing it you unsubscribe to TV, the same logic applies. :)

I thought "constructiveness" and "intelligence" had departed from this thread a long while ago, just after the second post. I'm here only for the entertainment value, really.

Of course you do have that right, the same as frequently quoted {if you don't like it go somewhere else} a very constructive and intelligent argument indeed, perhaps if you are fed up with hearing it you unsubscribe to TV, the same logic applies. :D

I thought "constructiveness" and "intelligence" had departed from this thread a long while ago, just after the second post. I'm here only for the entertainment value, really.

Fair enough answer but surely if your fed up with some/all of the posts but your entertained by them one asks oneself, are you indeed a masochist. :)

well, you know, I actually tried to be helpful... if the Chiang Rai airport makes the OP feel unsafe, he really just have to fly off from somewhere else.. Chiang Mai pops up as an alternative... he also now knows what channel to use to get more information, if he wishes so. It's not that shooting the crap out here is going to do anything to allay his fears about Chaing Rai airport.

May the spirit of baron Sacher-Masoch be with me. Cake and whip has always been a lovely combination. And Justine at the end.

Edited by perax

Congratulations to the staff of Chiang Rai Int for closing the airport until such times that the light failure was rectified rather than saying we'll give it a go without them, for which i could understand this thread continuing.

well, you know, I actually tried to be helpful... if the Chiang Rai airport makes the OP feel unsafe, he really just have to fly off from somewhere else.. Chiang Mai pops up as an alternative... he also now knows what channel to use to get more information, if he wishes so. It's not that shooting the crap out here is going to do anything to allay his fears about Chaing Rai airport.

May the spirit of baron Sacher-Masoch be with me. Cake and whip has always been a lovely combination. And Justine at the end.

Glad you see the funny side of it, but I have to say that in all fairness people should not be so complacent about standards, if something is being done do it right, if people don't complain about shoddy workmanship and shrug their shoulders and say, well it's Thailand, cuts no ice, good money is being spent and you should get exactly what your paying for. :)