Moby Dick's Rawai

tixe

I am getting a bit fed up with the continuous promotion of this place by 2 members. For me a reason not to go there, even though I pass it on a regular basis.

I don't think anyone is trying to promote the place, just sharing information on anything interesting happening. It's run on a minimal profit basis (to cover rent/utilities/staff), hence the low drink prices for members and guests. As it's off the beaten track, few people would have the opportunity to know what's going on there (bbq's/quiz nights etc) without word of mouth and forums such as this.

Nevertheless, it's still promotion so what's to stop the next guy from saying " hey come check out my new bar/restaurant/trinket shop/massage parlour etc."

I would recommend that someone from over there get some sort of list software and send out emails to the members/guests that want to receive this information about upcoming events.

I don't think anyone is trying to promote the place,
2 members, each with 19 posts, and nearly all those posts inviting people to come to Moby Dick because of the nice atmosphere, good curry, cheap BBQ, etc.

I would call that promotion.

2 members, each with 19 posts, and nearly all those posts inviting people to come to Moby Dick because of the nice atmosphere, good curry, cheap BBQ, etc.

And there's another member with four posts, all about one subject! :)

Hi

So what, don’t read them, i don’t care if people try to get customer but you do it looks like

Hi

So what, don’t read them, i don’t care if people try to get customer but you do it looks like

Yes, I do care because I don't think the forum was meant to be used this way.

Hi

So what, don't read them, i don't care if people try to get customer but you do it looks like

Yes, I do care because I don't think the forum was meant to be used this way.

Yes, I agree stevenl but this is light compared to what that "Maximum Security" was able to get away with............his avatar was even his company logo, and every thread that had to do with a mugging or viewpoint robbery he was in with "if you have a tooth ache you go to a dentist, law problem lawyer, security..........blah, blah, blah".......if that guy could do that then I see no problem here.

Anyway, in this time of all of us watching our baht, I see nothing wrong with saying "hey you Phuket TV people, cheap food and beers here". I appreciate the heads-up.

So long as posters have no financial association with topics under discussion then no forum rule is being broken. And I see plenty of other eateries being recommended (or not) on the Phuket forum. That's one of the functions of this forum, to let others know what's new and current about the island.

Moby's, the real story. (Short Version!)

The idea was conceived by 5 bored expats in October last year, who wanted to be involved in some sort of project to relieve said boredom. 10 other expats were found who liked the idea, and so the 15 all put in x amount of baht, found a site and Mobys was born in November.

Word got around about this unique bar, and soon after opening, the 15 became 20 then 30 and now there are 34 'members' from 12 different nations involved. I must stress that members do not get any financial benefit from the bar (apart from cheaper drinks) as every baht that is taken is put back into improving moby dicks and to cover the overheads. Moby's has evolved into a community bar, a great meeting place and a den of knowledge, with so many people involved, someone will always know the answer, a bit like this forum really!

So please forgive them for 'promoting' the bar but they just want to get the word around so other people can enjoy the benefits of Moby's.

Remember you do not have to be a member to use the bar, it is open to everyone, but there are memberships still available if you would like to be involved.

• 3 weeks later...

Wednesday night start at 7pm is Quiz night 1st July, everybody welcome good atmosphere the food this week I'm told will be Chilli Con Carne and Indian curry also. This coming Sunday is Moby's famous BBQ 100 Baht all you can eat.

See you all there.