Moby Dick's Rawai

tixe

Check out the pinned restaurant thread:

md

Nice, thanks. Heard about it, must go check it out.

Great location nice and cool in the evenings and cheap beer prices, also this Sunday have one of the best BBQ's for 99 Baht all you can eat start at 4pm till late very friendly bar you should try

Thanks Farangred. Went up there yesterday and bought a ticket for Sunday Bbq. Doesn't seem to have the usual 'bar-style' staff thing going on which is good as i can take my kids. Yep, drink prices so cheap. I was worried that it was a mebers only place! Meet one guy who said that it's open to all. Are you going up this Sunday? If you are maybe PM me and we can meet up for a beer. Take care.

Where is it? How much is a Heineken?

Don't know about Heinekens as i drink Tiger beer. My Tiger is 45 Baht and there is no happy hour, the prices are the same all day. Can't be much more i guess. It is on the back road to Phrom Thep Cape. If you go onlong Rawai beach heading south, then turn left at the Oborjor place on the corner then a another quick left. It must be about 1k up the road. Opens at 12 and shuts about 10 i think.

Moby Dicks prices for those who would like to know:

Heineken, Singha, San Miguel 55 Baht, Tiger 45 Baht, Chang 40 Baht. Vodka & Mixer 60 Baht, Sangsom 35 Baht, plus many other bargains. No happy hour prices same all day. It's a great place, check it out. Open to everyone.

Sure the kids can eat for 50 baht I'll be there Sunday lets hope not rain to much

So we're going to have the impromptu Phuket Thai Visa pissup this Sunday at Moby Dick's?

Will the barbecue be on? Does it still have food past 8:00pm?

Dropped in there this evening. No food served (they formerly did a food delivery service, with the food coming from another restaurant - but this has now ceased), and apparently the barbecues are every other fortnight. 6 or so expats having a couple of beers, but nothing special, and all but 2 had left by the time I did (8 pm). For me it's the kind of place you go before going somewhere else. There is no music, a TV which remained blank, nothing other than a reasonably comfortable group of sofas. Downside for me was when I had my usual Regency and coffee, and when I got the Regency with ice (not requested) obviously asked for it to be replaced (sin ice). When I asked for another one later, the bar staff tried to serve me the original drink that had had ice in it (instantly recognised because of the water content). Asked for it to be changed again, but apparently they had run out. Very short on atmosphere.

I was there this evening, too.

The main entertainment consisted of watching a poodle shag an English bloke's leg, over and over again. For some of the clientele, this was endlessly amusing. You, in the Heinekin T-shirt, you know who you are.

Disappointed as I thought it was on the beach-front.

A bar made for balloon-chasers, still, I'll go back again (if the poodle is performing).

Downside for me was when I had my usual Regency and coffee, and when I got the Regency with ice (not requested) obviously asked for it to be replaced (sin ice). When I asked for another one later, the bar staff tried to serve me the original drink that had had ice in it (instantly recognised because of the water content). Asked for it to be changed again, but apparently they had run out. Very short on atmosphere.

If you ask for any spirit, here in Phuket, the "default" is with ice.

If you want anything different from this default, it is your responsibility to speak up; in this case, specify "no ice" when you first ordered.

The fact you were drinking a coffee and it would normally be obvious that the accompanying brandy should have no ice, this combination of drinks is not well known here, especially by Issan ladies.

Edited by Sir Burr

If you ask for any spirit, here in Phuket, the "default" is with ice.

If you want anything different from this default, it is your responsibility to speak up; in this case, specify "no ice" when you first ordered.

The fact you were drinking a coffee and it would normally be obvious that the accompanying brandy should have no ice, this combination of drinks is not well known here, especially by Issan ladies.

Yes, I can accept the default scenario, and I thought that I'd said no ice the first time. Think it was being given the 'spoiled' drink the second time that was irksome. No matter.

Pleasant, relaxed afternoon. Barbeque food good, with broad selection of side dishes. I think that it's essential to understand the philosophy of the place. Importantly, it's non-commercial (I didn't understand the 'members' aspect before) in so much that profit is not an issue, only to be able to fund and sustain the expenses of the staff (I believe 3), the premises rental, and utilities etc. The aim of the members is to have a pleasant environment where they can relax, enjoy each others company and conversation, and pay reasonable prices for a drink. I think they have achieved that very well. It's not just about cheap drinks, more about people taking ownership for the quality of their social environment and feeling part of it.

Oh, and my Regency came without ice, but they really need to get a new kettle for the coffee!

Yeh, been up there a few times. It seams like a great place. Good prices. Cooler up there and friendly. I also saw the shagging poodle! (It was funny) This poodle just would'nt take no. I also went this Sunday to the BBQ. Well so much different things from Thai to burgers to Indian as much as you want 100 baht. If you have not been have a look it's a great place to chill. I will be back. Yours well happy. Condoman.

Next Wednesday 17th June, Mobys is having a Quiz & Curry night starting at 1900, saw the flyers yesterday. A fun quiz apparently with prizes and then a Curry to follow with a choice of 3 different dishes. 100 baht all in, not bad, I will definately be there sounds like a good deal.

I am getting a bit fed up with the continuous promotion of this place by 2 members. For me a reason not to go there, even though I pass it on a regular basis.

I don't think anyone is trying to promote the place, just sharing information on anything interesting happening. It's run on a minimal profit basis (to cover rent/utilities/staff), hence the low drink prices for members and guests. As it's off the beaten track, few people would have the opportunity to know what's going on there (bbq's/quiz nights etc) without word of mouth and forums such as this.