Pork Sausages

aussiechick

All that greenish, congealed lard is enough to put you off yer dinner. :)

Soundman you do know what this topic is about............ I'll translate for you SNAG's I believe they say in OZ, you know intestines with minced up tits and lips put in them and then fried or grilled............ yummy!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soundman you do know what this topic is about............ I'll translate for you SNAG's I believe they say in OZ, you know intestines with minced up tits and lips put in them and then fried or grilled............ yummy!

I would really like to see what people think is really delicious pork sausage. Truly, I have never eaten good sausage in Thailand. The stuff in the market looks sickening.....the stuff Thais eat.

Anybody know Jimmy Dean's sausage........I think that is great w/ eggs. And Texas smoked BBQ sausage......well, you have the picture and sounds like you really thought it looked good :D

I would really like to see what people think is really delicious pork sausage. Truly, I have never eaten good sausage in Thailand. The stuff in the market looks sickening.....the stuff Thais eat.

Anybody know Jimmy Dean's sausage........I think that is great w/ eggs. And Texas smoked BBQ sausage......well, you have the picture and sounds like you really thought it looked good :D

You can actually buy some really good pork sausages from Tesco. 99B for two in a sealed pressure pack &, get this, thay are called "arabic wieners". No joke.

You can actually buy some really good pork sausages from Tesco. 99B for two in a sealed pressure pack &, get this, thay are called "arabic wieners". No joke.

Just guessing that they are made with spicy lamb........any pics.......NO, NOT THOSE PICS.....what kind of minds are prowling TV these days..........pics of the Arabic wieners. :D

Just guessing that they are made with spicy lamb........any pics.......NO, NOT THOSE PICS.....what kind of minds are prowling TV these days..........pics of the Arabic wieners. :D

That was my first thought as well, however, after reading the ingrediants, they are all pork, filler, preservatives and spices. No Pics. :)

That was my first thought as well, however, after reading the ingrediants, they are all pork, filler, preservatives and spices. No Pics. :)

So there is a limited market for Egyptian Coptic Christions and Lebanese Christians, but what other Arabs will buy these?

And Vienna has the OPEC headquarters, so there may be a very far-reaching connection, but to me that labelling is most misleading.

Why do you need Filler and preservatives, ???

fresh and frozen is best and nothing else

Mr Moo will soon have Jimmy Dean type for you, also Prime beef cuts, and ribs , and pat'e

OK - I know I am not an expert on sausages (I am not British) but I have just had the best sausages since I have been in Thailand.

These you have to cook yourself but they were flavoursome, cooked well and I wanted more. Also bacon was very good. I had sage and onion sausages, cumberland and one with a bite to it.

Where? Mr Moo's - yes just pork products. His shop is in the row of town houses next to Big C Sukhumvit, down the roadway on the right. He also does scotch eggs and sauage rolls so I will have to go back and try them very soon. He only officially opened yesterday but if the standard stays this good he will be around a long time!

Go buy and try.

Mr Moo also has meat pies and American pies now , soon prime cuts of beef and Pat'es, Jimmy dean type sausage soon, and more will be added as time and requests come in , stop in and let them know what want.

• 1 month later...
OK - I know I am not an expert on sausages (I am not British) but I have just had the best sausages since I have been in Thailand.

These you have to cook yourself but they were flavoursome, cooked well and I wanted more. Also bacon was very good. I had sage and onion sausages, cumberland and one with a bite to it.

Where? Mr Moo's - yes just pork products. His shop is in the row of town houses next to Big C Sukhumvit, down the roadway on the right. He also does scotch eggs and sauage rolls so I will have to go back and try them very soon. He only officially opened yesterday but if the standard stays this good he will be around a long time!

Go buy and try.

Mr Moo also has meat pies and American pies now , soon prime cuts of beef and Pat'es, Jimmy dean type sausage soon, and more will be added as time and requests come in , stop in and let them know what want.

Thanks for the excellent advise. Mr. Moo's is now offering an excellent range of tasy sausages, I was there a few days ago and the stock selection has been increased and there is a sausage for everyone now. Recommended!

So there is a limited market for Egyptian Coptic Christions and Lebanese Christians, but what other Arabs will buy these?

And Vienna has the OPEC headquarters, so there may be a very far-reaching connection, but to me that labelling is most misleading.

I don't believe Arabian eat wieners!!! :) A moslem eat pork? Unbelievable!!! I make my german "Thueringer Bratwurst" now self. A friend of me brought a home mincer and sausage filler with from europe. Price: 2.800 Baht

Another friend give me pig intestine skin and now I can eat excellent homemade sausages.

Go buy and try.

Thanks for the information. I will give this place a try. I am always on the look out for quality sausages in the Pattaya area. :)

do you prefer your sausage with high heels and mayo :D

Why do you need Filler and preservatives, ???

fresh and frozen is best and nothing else

Without filler it is more of a German sausage - British-style sausage has a lot of filler (rusk) and less meat.

Preservatives in commercially made sausages, not home-made or even local butcher's sausages

Go buy and try.

Thanks for the excellent advise. Mr. Moo's is now offering an excellent range of tasy sausages, I was there a few days ago and the stock selection has been increased and there is a sausage for everyone now. Recommended!

Have to agree. Last time I was in Patters, bought about 10kg's of MrMoo's product. Sausages & Pies - very good.

I've tried Mr. Moo's products, and am definitely impressed.

The streaky bacon was not too fatty at all in my opinion - and also had much less shrinkage during cooking than other brands I've tried here. It may be more expensive, but if there's less shrinkage it all works out on balance. The flavor was also excellent.

On the sausages, I'll agree they are a little dry, but again this is because there's so little fat in the mixture. The texture and the spicing in the sausages are spot-on. I tried the sage & onion as well as the bold cumberland and we really enjoyed both of these, with a slight preference for the flavor of the sage & onion version. Also, if we're comparing these to Yorkies, I'll take "slightly dry" over "full of filler/cereal" anytime.

We also tried the "Timmy D." sausage patties and these taste a LOT like Jimmy Dean bulk sausage from home (the USA). I think on the next load I'll have to get more of this and try to make some sausage gravy!!

The meat pies (tried the American Chicken Pie - chicken, potato, peas, carrots) was really good also. You prep these from frozen in the microwave, and the pastry still looks and tastes like pastry when they come out of the microwave. These are just the thing when you don't feel like cooking.

I heard that there would be good beef on sale there, but it had not yet debuted when I visited. Looking forward to it for next time.

For the person looking for bratwurst, you can get frozen Smithfield brats in the freezer section of Friendship supermarket. Boil them in beer for a bit and then brown them up and they're delicious.

Edited by cochran

For the person looking for bratwurst, you can get frozen Smithfield brats in the freezer section of Friendship supermarket. Boil them in beer for a bit and then brown them up and they're delicious.

Thats one of the best 'sausage tips' I have received in recent months. Thanks! :)

Another friend give me pig intestine skin and now I can eat excellent homemade sausages.

Do you know where I can buy pig-intestine skin in Pattaya?

No, my wife asked the stuff from carrefour and they told her that we can buy it at a slaughterhouse in Naklua. But I don't know where in Naklua. My wife not too!!! :)

Now I use the rest of a kilo what my friend got from lampang.

No, my wife asked the stuff from carrefour and they told her that we can buy it at a slaughterhouse in Naklua. But I don't know where in Naklua. My wife not too!!! :D

Now I use the rest of a kilo what my friend got from lampang.

Thanks for the feedback on pig-intestines.

I have been able to find pig intestines in a Pattaya Supermarket, but I have to buy them quickly before refrigeration destroys the cell structure of the intestines, plus I have to poke out the residue of intestinal contents (pig fecal matter) with a knitting-needle with a rubber thimble on the end.

Once cleansed with RO water they make a perfect sausage skin.

:)

The pig gut casings once frozen go very brittle, they are also a lot harder to store and have a shelf life, Collagen casings are a lot easier and present far less contamination problems.

Some interesting info on casings.

Synthetic Casings

Synthetic sausage casings are made from cellulose or plastic and are not edible. They are popular with mass producers of sausage-type products as they are cheaper to use compared to natural-type casings, they can be colored and embossed with the company's logo and information, and require no refrigeration. They are very strong and provide a consistent uniform shape.

Natural Casings

Natural sausage casings are made from the cleaned intestines of animals such as sheep, hogs and cattle. After they are cleaned, they are placed in tubs of salt where they can be stored indefinitely in the refrigerator. They can be used for almost any type of sausage product. The advantage in using natural casings for smoked sausage is that the casing tends to shrink equally with the sausage within. This keeps the sausage more aesthetically appealing.

Collagen Casings

Collagen casing are also a type of natural casing that is made to be eaten with the sausage. It is made of beef hides. The beef hides have the hair removed and then the skins are rolled into uniform thin sheets. From these sheets, tubes are formed to hold the sausage material. The advantage of collagen casings is that they are edible, they can be made into specific uniform-sized tubes, and they are very strong. They are capable of holding fairly large-sized sausage rolls that are being hung to smoke. They can have smoke flavorings added to them to enhance the flavor of the sausage.

Sausages are full of floor sweepings and bad enough in the west, so can you imagine what crap goes into them in thailand....yuk.

I knew somebody who worked in a sausage makers, and they said if you could see what goes into them you would never eat them...full of worst leftovers and floor sweep ups.

Plus a few choice gobs from the disgruntled workers.

Still ,hope you enjoy them

LOL

Sausages are full of floor sweepings and bad enough in the west, so can you imagine what crap goes into them in thailand....yuk.

I knew somebody who worked in a sausage makers, and they said if you could see what goes into them you would never eat them...full of worst leftovers and floor sweep ups.

Plus a few choice gobs from the disgruntled workers.

Still ,hope you enjoy them

LOL

That is mythology.

There are always plenty of people who will say 'if you know what went in them you'd never eat them'. Sure; all the offcuts, maybe some offal and ground bones but that adds to the flavour and that is why you cook them well before eating them.

I'm sure a little saliva 'gobs' go into much of what we eat whether in the U.K. or Thailand.

If you don't like sausage SHYTALK fair enough, but we would all appreciate a positive contribution to one of the most important subject on Thai Visa: 'Sausages in Thailand'.

Thanks! :)

We'd probably all go off ALL processed food if we really thought about it, but I for one am in position (or inclination) to become a self-supporting farmer and raise all my own food.

I'll just not think about what's in my sausage...bologna...ground beef...etc. and focus on enjoying the flavor! You have to eat a little dirt in this life anyway - might as well taste good, right?

you guys in pattaya seem to have it pretty good when it comes to farang food, good bangers up here are difficult to come by. there is a chap in the north of pattaya, barry, aka barry the butcher, a master butcher and great sausage maker, usually end up buying a load from him when i am down your way

you guys in pattaya seem to have it pretty good when it comes to farang food, good bangers up here are difficult to come by. there is a chap in the north of pattaya, barry, aka barry the butcher, a master butcher and great sausage maker, usually end up buying a load from him when i am down your way

Where can we find "Barry the Butcher"?

There is a chap in the north of pattaya, barry, aka barry the butcher, a master butcher and great sausage maker, usually end up buying a load from him when i am down your way

Where can we find "Barry the Butcher"?

Try 'SS Sausage' on Pattaya North Road Naklua. Going north from the Dolphin roundabout it is about 1km up on the left hand side.

• 4 months later...

yes!!! in the new makro market somewhere in the refrigerator.

Price: 315,- Baht / 900g

There you can get a mincer for 12.000 Baht too.

Edited by snowgard