Windows 7 Problem

canuckamuck

I loaded windows 7 the other day, everything went pretty good, except that I have two hard drives and they are both partitioned

(like c,d,f,g). So now f: is missing. Is there any way to get it back without pulling the drive out and dumping the info onto another drive on an XP machine?

Where did you load Win 7? Was it a dual boot or did you replace your OS? I shrunk C drive a couple of days ago and have it loaded on that area as drive M for dual boot now and all drives and partitions show up using it.

I haven't had the (dis?)pleasure of using Win7 yet, but isn't there a Disk Management (Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management(Local)) installed? You can right click on the 'missing' partitions and "Mark Partition as Active" or "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." as needed.

Dear people,

I work for a large company, and we have a IT department, like most companies, the funny part is that I personally cannot understand how on Thaivisa so many people are so happy with Windows 7.

Sometimes it is almost like these forum topic is supported by Microsoft...

Let say you want to make a hard drive impossible to access, in Windows 7. O yes you encrypt it, but then the encryption of NTFS was broken years ago... Anything new in Windows 7 to solve this security risk?

Anyway, I not want to give away all in once... So I would give you Windows 7 lovers a option to solve. My tools are all openSource... and if you can prove I cannot access your data... even over a network I call the OS safe...

But the first task is how you secure your data of me accessing it, yes it is true you cannot use another Windows OS to access the NTFS data, but for Microsoft OS's there are enough tools available. And not all Linux options keep in line with Microsoft, as they do have no royalties to follow with Microsoft's security framework/plan.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Okay, all problems you need to see visaversa, that is what I was told... (by a very wise person)

You use Windows (doesn't really matter what version), but your first problem is that all MS Windows have not support for any Linux, or OpenSource OS file-system, so access is on basic level already restricted. But then if I was a person who was really worried about my security, I can find tools that will encrypt the access to my file-system with any key access I select. So can I select access to a EXT3 or EXT4 files-system, with a 1024 bit key or 2048 key, yes it would almost take me a day to type the key to access my data.... a 2048 key is that long but I can do it...

In any Microsoft OS the Operating system is loaded from the same partition as the encryption, so basically there is always a window of opportunity, basically therefore it is called Microsoft Windows... The more secure OS's like Linux are booted from a boot partition and access is only approved to the 'real' partition if you pass security... and then it is leveled to your rights as user...

In Windows 7, Microsoft has some improvements of user security level, but what is security on user level... If a user can boot from one of the now-a-day popular Linux LiveCD's and access the NTFS partition if they where playing with cheesecake....

Then you butt-cakes of the Microsoft clan, users of the all holly Windows 7 OS would tell me, I got you … I changed the boot device in the BIOS and restricted access to the BIOS with a password.

Now you got me laughing and I will probably rise my bet that I get into you date faster then you eat your lunch. There is a OpenSource project called Coreboot (they have a LiveCD you need to look at...just for fun how unsecured you are), with a little modified boot CD I can get into any password protected BIOS, BIOS data is not that well encrypted if at all...

With the help of http://www.coreboot.org, which is a OpenSource project I can change your boot device in less then 2 seconds...

I haven't had the (dis?)pleasure of using Win7 yet, but isn't there a Disk Management (Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management(Local)) installed? You can right click on the 'missing' partitions and "Mark Partition as Active" or "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." as needed.

Hi, I loaded win 7 on a fresh partitioned hard drive. But the other partitioned disk was already in use and full of my working files.

So win7 is the C: drive, and there is no other OS installed.

Dave, thanks for your suggestion , I will check it out in the morning. My wife wants me to come to bed.

Richard, what are you smoking? you got your own conversation going on, but it didn't help me a bit.