Flight Attendants Reveal Their Worst Passengers

peter991

Flight attendants reveal their worst passengers

IF you've left the door open while peeing, if you listen to music while they try to talk to you or if you've tried to grab a seat in the crew rest area – then flight attendants hate you. Flight attendants from around the world have broken their silence to reveal the things that passengers do that really gets under their skin.

You leave the door wide open when you pee.

“One of the most annoying things passengers do is not closing the lavatory door,” celebrity flight attendant David Holmes from Southwest Airlines said.

You double order your drinks.

“Asking one flight attendant for a drink and before they get back with it, asking another flight attendant for the same drink, is bad news,” Bethany Burke, a flight attendant from Florida, US, said.

You tap flight attendants on the shoulder to get their attention.

“Passengers tap me to get my attention but then don’t give me eye contact when talking to me,” Mr Holmes said.

“Passengers wouldn’t take off their headsets when I asked them if they wanted food or drink,” ex-hostie Susan, who worked for Qantas for over 20 years, said.

“When I ask passengers if they’d like something to drink, three times out of five the response will be ‘Wha?’ And that's a ‘wha’ without the ‘T’,” Heather Poole, flight attendant for a major US carrier, said.

“‘Something to drink?’ I'll ask again, and while I ask this question I find myself wondering why you haven't taken off the iPod or those giant Bose noise cancellation headsets covering your ears when you see me standing at your row.”

You stuff your bag to breaking point and then ask for help to stow it away.

“The worst is when people bring a heavy bag onboard, then tell me that they can't lift it overhead because of a bad back,” Mrs Burke said.

“Lifting your bag into the overhead bin is not, nor has it ever been, part of my job description. Honestly, I don't know what bothers me more, the fact that a passenger will come on-board and expect me to lift their bag, or the fact that they actually get upset when I won't lift the bag,” Mrs Poole said.

You complain about the overhead bin being full and make a fuss about having to put your bag in the rows behind.

“Passengers who get annoyed about the overhead bins near their seats being full, and then say the word “ridiculous”, are so annoying,” Mrs Poole said.

You order a special meal and then change your mind at the last minute.

“I hate it when passengers order a vegetarian, kosher or fruit special meal and then want a regular meal instead," Mrs Burke said.

You’re messy and inconsiderate.

“There’d be so many people who’d just throw things on the floor right in the middle of the cabin, such as newspapers they’ve finished with or rubbish,” Susan said.

“Surprisingly, it’s no different in first class, they’re just as messy as the other passengers.”

You read up about getting free upgrades and pull all the tricks to try and get your way.

“Another annoying thing is the tricks people used to play to get upgraded," Susan said.

"You could see the pattern for a lot of people, but if they win it’s just rewarding them for bad behaviour.”

You expect to be told the moment you change time zones.

“Passengers often want to know exactly when they should change their watch when crossing time zones,” Mrs Burke said.

You try and take over the crew rest area.

“Trying to sit in our crew rest seats, which are sacred to us, is a very bad idea,” Mrs Burke warns.

You enter the galley without permission and loiter.

“Unless you've actually been invited into the galley (it does happen), you do not step onto the floor for any length of time," Mrs Poole said.

You spill water on the toilet floor and leave without cleaning it up.

“People would leave water on the floor after using the toilet, forgetting about all the other passengers who may slip and fall,” Susan said.

You have unrealistic expectations of your air travel experience.

“I saw a first-class passenger chuck a hissy fit as we didn’t have the right flavour of yogurt onboard. A bit unrealistic,” Susan said.

*** Flightcrew1 - your comments please.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flight attendants reveal their worst passengers

*** Flightcrew1 - your comments please.

They missed one - when the arsehol_e trolley dolly wakes you up to ask if you want your meal, drives me fuc_king mad that does and they wonder why you have a go at them.

Brigante7.

And when WE don't wake you up for your meal, you still have a go at us. We never win either way. We provide do not disturb stickers in the amenity kit in economy class but hardly anybody does not use it

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of flight attendants. It seems to me that the average flight attendant is...well...pretty average. There are some that are exception. And then there are those with attitude.

Again, on average, the worst I have experienced are on U.S. domestic flights. Although, the very worst I experienced were on a flight either into or out of Indonesia. That crew of flight attendants should have been ejected through the cabin door they were so rude and obnoxious.

Once, when flying business class on Northwest Air I had asked for some water several times in an hour, each time promised some, but it never came. It wasn't even during the serving of a meal, so it was sort of a down time. Finally I got up and went to the flight attendant I had been asking. This was the conversation:

"I'm sorry, but I've asked for water several times during the past hour. You keep promising to bring it to me, but you never do."

"We're very busy, sir."

"Actually, you're not busy at all in the past hour. Almost every passenger is sleeping now."

"You know, we're not waiters. We're here to save your life."

"How long have you been a flight attendant?"

"Seven years."

"That's very good. How many meals have you served in that time?"

"Thousands and thousands."

"How many beverages have you served in that time?"

"Millions."

"How many lives have you saved in the past seven years?"

Extended silence.

"Now, may I have my water?"

I know from experience that dealing with the public is not easy. But when you are in a public service profession, you ought to expect that. To the many flight attendants who do a great job -- thank you! To the small percentage who don't, get your head on straight -- you're there for us, we're not there for you. It's your job. If you don't like your job, do something different.

There are so many things that annoy us, (me), I will have to have a think about them, but as Crudy21 said, we are paid to a job and being annoyed comes with the job. Does not make me hate it.

Off hand are some of my pet peeves.

1. Parents come on board with babies and children and just hand them to us and expect us to babysit them for the entire flight while they watch movies and eat dinner and still demand drink after drink while I have a baby hanging off one arm. They are usually the same parents who don't even bring clean pampers or babyfood and complain why we don't we have any on board. We do carry but they still complain it's not the right brand!

2. Parents who think that little Johnny or Mary is so cute running up and down the aisles from first class to economy class screaming, yelling, grabbing everything in the way and of course disturbing other passengers. When told to control their children they of course have a go at us and call us names.

3. Passengers when finishing their meal ring the call button and demand we clear the tray even though we still serving other passengers.

4. Passengers when finishing their tray put in the middle of the aisle.

5. Passengers not sitting in the correct seat and when told to move complain this was the seat they asked for and refusing to move while the correct passenger is standing in the aisle blocking the boarding of the aircraft.

6. Passengers using the toilet at the beginning of the flight and stealing everything they can lay their hands on including the toilet paper. This happens mostly out of the asian countries.

Oh so many more. I'll have to have a think. ha ha!

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of flight attendants. It seems to me that the average flight attendant is...well...pretty average. There are some that are exception. And then there are those with attitude.

Again, on average, the worst I have experienced are on U.S. domestic flights. Although, the very worst I experienced were on a flight either into or out of Indonesia. That crew of flight attendants should have been ejected through the cabin door they were so rude and obnoxious.

Once, when flying business class on Northwest Air I had asked for some water several times in an hour, each time promised some, but it never came. It wasn't even during the serving of a meal, so it was sort of a down time. Finally I got up and went to the flight attendant I had been asking. This was the conversation:

"I'm sorry, but I've asked for water several times during the past hour. You keep promising to bring it to me, but you never do."

"We're very busy, sir."

"Actually, you're not busy at all in the past hour. Almost every passenger is sleeping now."

"Seven years."

"Millions."

Extended silence.

I know from experience that dealing with the public is not easy. But when you are in a public service profession, you ought to expect that. To the many flight attendants who do a great job -- thank you! To the small percentage who don't, get your head on straight -- you're there for us, we're not there for you. It's your job. If you don't like your job, do something different.

I've heard the above story recounted numerous times over the past 20 years and it's always told first hand.

I like my job and do a great job. I agree with you as in any job if you don't like it....find another one.

I had an aisle seat coming back from LOS on Air Canada.This group of attendants were large,and every time they passed they bumped and rubbed against you :) . It was another reason I was going to miss LOS,with the smaller and more friendly attendants on airplanes. :D

I call them by their proper title 'waitress', they love that.......

Actually this does not really bother us as we know you (passengers who use this term) think it does bother us.

What bothers me the most is in the middle of long haul overnighter, you are watching a movie, get thirsty, push the button and eventually when the FA arrives, its like you are putting them out for asking for a drink.

Isn't life a bitch when you can't stand at the galley filling your face and chatting with your mates when those dam_n customers keep interrupting you.

"We're very busy, sir."

"Seven years."

"Millions."

Extended silence.

I've heard the above story recounted numerous times over the past 20 years and it's always told first hand.

I like my job and do a great job. I agree with you as in any job if you don't like it....find another one.

You imply I am lying.

I call them by their proper title 'waitress', they love that.......

Actually this does not really bother us as we know you (passengers who use this term) think it does bother us.

What bothers me the most is in the middle of long haul overnighter, you are watching a movie, get thirsty, push the button and eventually when the FA arrives, its like you are putting them out for asking for a drink.

Isn't life a bitch when you can't stand at the galley filling your face and chatting with your mates when those dam_n customers keep interrupting you.

As in any job we do get breaks and basically the only place to relax is in the galley (other than the crew bunks) chatting with our mates and having a meal. Normally when the called for service we do come out and see what you need. I guess it depends on the crew member and the airline as to the perceived sort of service you think you are getting. If called for service during the middle of the night, I and my crew try to be as pleasant as possible, though if the bell has been rung several times within 1 minute, because you expected the FA to sprint down the aisle you may not get that smile you were hoping for.

My suspicions confirmed that most flight attendants are a whiny bunch that go into the job thinking that it's all glamour and excitement, forgetting that they're paid to actually do a job.

Like others, I can tell many stories of lazy incompetent flight attendants who should be permanently grounded.

"We're very busy, sir."

"Seven years."

"Millions."

Extended silence.

You imply I am lying.

As I said, it's not the first time I've heard or read the above. Used for numerous airlines and always happened to the passenger who tells It's just such an old story to try to prove how bad flight attendants are and how how right the passenger is by putting us in our place. It has even been told by comics at clubs over they years.

My suspicions confirmed that most flight attendants are a whiny bunch that go into the job thinking that it's all glamour and excitement, forgetting that they're paid to actually do a job.

Yep, serving tea / coffee and food, and collecting the remains there of sounds very glamourous. :) Add on not so intelligent.

Have had several verbal sparring, they want me to shut down my O2 Phone which is in flight mode - when all is lost, they say i might accidently activate the mode. The guy next to me using his laptop has his Wifi still on, but that EMI is ok.

Edited by skippybangkok

Yup...there's that attitude.

Nope, no attitude. Just explaining that when passengers (such as yourself) use that term (waiter/waitress) we know they trying to make us feel angry or bad. We just don't think it's funny or cute.

Like others, I can tell many stories of lazy incompetent flight attendants who should be permanently grounded.

How can we forget? Mostly the crew I work with do a good job. Glamour and excitement??? I joined the airlines after university because I needed a job and being from Ireland there were no jobs for someone with a university education in the early 1980's.

I also agree that there are some lazy incompetent flight attendants who should not be working but again every job has lazy incompetent workers.

Yep, serving tea / coffee and food, and collecting the remains there of sounds very glamourous. :) Add on not so intelligent.

Have had several verbal sparring, they want me to shut down my O2 Phone which is in flight mode - when all is lost, they say i might accidently activate the mode. The guy next to me using his laptop has his Wifi still on, but that EMI is ok.

Most of us are intelligent as generally we have university educations. As far as mobiles and electronic devices goes, even I don't understand the rules. I know from reading tech magazines they generally don't interfere with the aircraft, but we don't make the rules but are on the front line to enforce them. Personally if someone is playing with their mobile I just ignore it.

I wonder if the flight attendant haters on this thread have ever had to work in a job that deals with the public in a service position.

I fly to the US every year and have to say I have nothing but admiration for the flight attendants who have to deal with obnoxious and annoying passengers and people who let their kids annoy every single person in the cabin (I have experienced the extremely annoying running child). And on top of that add in the long hours of the flight, and the jet lag/time zone changes and yet still are polite and courteous. Even to people who give them a hard time just for doing their job.

I'm not a flight attendant.

For every lazy or bad flight attendant in the world, there are a million inconsiderate and idiot passengers who seem to leave their brain at home the minute they get near an airport or aircraft.

I don't know how they do it. Having flown alot over the years, if I was left in charge of a flight, there would probably be 10-50% less passengers alive at the end of each flight.....they should build in injector seats for these idiots so they can be catapulted over the indian ocean or where ever they play up.

Inconsiderate travellers really erk me :) WAKE UP TO YOURSELVES!

rant over

I was on a plane from Canada to LOS one time..there were 5 men in a group at the back,4 of them very loud, rude and intoxicated :D .I was unfortunately in front of them. They were cut off, and one in particular was very rude to the attendant. He made an obscene gesture towards her. I spoke with him, and they were quiet for 5 minutes and it started again. The poor attendant didn't know what to do. I used to be a peace officer, so I went to the guy and lied..said I was a policeman,and if he did not be quiet I would have him arrested. The ruse worked ( I used to work out a lot so he thought I was one, I guess) a little, but he was about to pass out anyway, and after grumbling for a while, he fell asleep and snored loudly.One guy was not drunk in the group. He said they were all from Pakistan, and he was ashamed of a couple of them. :)

I wonder if the flight attendant haters on this thread have ever had to work in a job that deals with the public in a service position.

I fly to the US every year and have to say I have nothing but admiration for the flight attendants who have to deal with obnoxious and annoying passengers and people who let their kids annoy every single person in the cabin (I have experienced the extremely annoying running child). And on top of that add in the long hours of the flight, and the jet lag/time zone changes and yet still are polite and courteous. Even to people who give them a hard time just for doing their job.

On Asian Airlines i agree.......... on ones like BA / QANTAS etc........ i give em wide berth. Had one insist i could not move my seat ( to a totally empty row ) because it would effect the balance of the plane :) ( after the "cabin crew arm and cross check doors" command) ( after i informed her that i used to weight passenger jet planes to establish the Weight and Balance, and enquired how it could be, it became a red faced discussion on her part.)

SQ is the worst in terms of using O2's / iPhones. What miffs me is how SQ can be so hyper about a neutered Phone ( no signal at all ), and there are donzens of laptops with their Wifi on.

Edited by skippybangkok

holiday inn siom has stay for emirates crew,and in evening the crew comes down to the pub called jamesons irish pub,

i saw them creating lot nonsence.almost every evening,and which the regulars and expats dont do.how about that,?

Yup...there's that attitude.

Nope, no attitude. Just explaining that when passengers (such as yourself) use that term (waiter/waitress) we know they trying to make us feel angry or bad. We just don't think it's funny or cute.

1. You are certainly being overly defensive.

2. I have NEVER called a flight attendant a waiter or waitress. Never. Not once. My greatest sin is that I have called them a steward or stewardess. So you see, when you first accuse me of lying, and now of using the term "waiter", you are fitting right into what I was describing. By the way, is there something demeaning about being a waiter or waitress? My mother was a waitress for many years.

I'm not a flight attendant.

For every lazy or bad flight attendant in the world, there are a million inconsiderate and idiot passengers who seem to leave their brain at home the minute they get near an airport or aircraft.

I don't know how they do it. Having flown alot over the years, if I was left in charge of a flight, there would probably be 10-50% less passengers alive at the end of each flight.....they should build in injector seats for these idiots so they can be catapulted over the indian ocean or where ever they play up.

Inconsiderate travellers really erk me :) WAKE UP TO YOURSELVES!

rant over

Actually, I agree with you. I would just add -- Inconsiderate flight attendants really erk me :D WAKE UP TO YOURSELVES!

I'd like there to be a little balance that there is inconsiderate behavior on both sides.

Years ago I was on an Ansett Flight in Australia ( Airline now defunct ).

A chap across the aisle had fallen asleep and his arm was lolling out into the aisle. The dinner trolley was coming with the attendant backing down the aisle. Yes, I could see what was going to happen, she backed into his arm, he automatically jerked it up and yes his hand went right up her skirt.

Quick as a flash she turned and gave him a sharp slap to the side of his face.

Not in the job desciption, it was an automatic reaction I would say on her part, it caused a very unpleasant scean, I ended up getting involved as they were accusing the man of "touching her up" and this wasn't the case at all, he was asleep.

Don't know what happened to the hostie later, but I guess some action would have been taken.