New Airport Prepares For Landings On 29 September

george

Bangkok's new airport prepares for landings on 29 September

BANGKOK: -- Airliners will be able to land at Bangkok's new international airport from 29 September this year, the airport authority confirmed today, while admitting that the official date of opening was still dependent on the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

Speaking this morning after a seminar on the procurement of fire fighting equipment for the new Suvarnabhumi Airport, Mr. Somchai Sawasdiphol, a senior executive vice president of Airports of Thailand Public Co., Ltd., insisted that construction of the airport be finished on time to allow take-offs and landings on 29 September.

However, the official date of opening was dependent on confirmation from the ICAO, the Department of Aviation and airlines due to use the airport, he said.

The Suvarnabhumi Airport is being touted as the jewel in the crown of Thailand's bid to become a regional aviation hub.

Able to accommodate as many as 45 million passengers a year, the airport has been designed to cope with the new breed of 'super aircraft' such as the massive A380's.

Safety will be a paramount concern at the new airport, and Pol. Maj. Gen. Chetchan Prawit, a representative of the consortium responsible for the safety system, said today that the safety standards would be as high as those at Bangkok's existing Don Muang Airport.

The consortium will send officials to the United Kingdom to train in emergency operations and fire fighting work, while others will be trained domestically in how to deal with dangerous substances.

--TNA 2005-02-10

But the jewel in this crown is seriously flawed by a complete lack of planned and co-ordinated transport infrastructure to and from this former swamp. No rail link. And, straight off the airport link road into 'rot dit' on the Suvarnabumhi - Taling Chan BMT "project"

Allow bags of time to get to your departing flight, folks!

When this 29 September 2005 date was announced a few years back, I recall a story in the newspaper in which it was claimed by some Thai government official that the airport opening ceremony would be held on that date, whether the airport was ready or not. :o

Bangkok's new airport prepares for landings on 29 September

BANGKOK: --  Airliners will be able to land at Bangkok's new international airport from 29 September this year, the airport authority confirmed today, while admitting that the official date of opening was still dependent on the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

Speaking this morning after a seminar on the procurement of fire fighting equipment for the new Suvarnabhumi Airport, Mr. Somchai Sawasdiphol, a senior executive vice president of Airports of Thailand Public Co., Ltd.,  insisted that construction of the airport be finished on time to allow take-offs and landings on 29 September.

However, the official date of opening was dependent on confirmation from the ICAO, the Department of Aviation and airlines due to use the airport, he said.

Sure, planes will be able to land and take-off ... on the finished run-way ... but do not expect commercial operation on or near that date.

Did any of you had a chance to go onsite ? :o

But the jewel in this crown is seriously flawed by a complete lack of planned and co-ordinated transport infrastructure to and from this former swamp. No rail link. And, straight off the airport link road into 'rot dit' on the Suvarnabumhi - Taling Chan BMT "project"

Allow bags of time to get to your departing flight, folks!

the roads are already jammed its gonna be murder when the airport opens

airport traffic will mingle with industrial traffic from chonburi ,

When new airport opens (providing roads are not jammed up!) is this going to cut journey time to pattaya if so by how much? anyone know?

Yes, considerably; It's SE of BKK. I don't know about time but would guess max. 45/60 mins.

LaoPo

When new airport opens (providing roads are not jammed up!) is this going to cut journey time to pattaya if so by how much? anyone know?

Yes, considerably; It's SE of BKK. I don't know about time but would guess max. 45/60 mins.

LaoPo

Drove from Pattaya to Don Muang airport a few weeks back, going past the new airport. You will save about 45 mins on your the journey time to Pattaya when the airport opens. If you drive through the construction site beware as the road layout is <deleted> lethal with flyovers, junctions and lanes appearing and disappearing without warning i.e it is like all other Thai roadworks.

I was told recently that this airport will not be operating domestic flights.. So anyone connecting to Phuket / Udon Thani / Samui etc will arrive long haul and then have to be taken by bus or whatever to DM to get thier connections..

This cant be true can it ???

I'm putting my bet on the scenario where TG will operate most of its domestic flights out of Suvarnabhumi, while the budget carriers will be relegated to Don Muang. TG will therefore have a big advantage for people connecting to/from overseas. I have no inside info; just a guess on my part.