Less Perks For Thailand Elite Card Holders

Thaising

when i first discovered this card i thought this was a joke from notthenation.com

still can't believe it even existed.

That wins comment of the year for me!

Pace yourself mate, unlike the Delite Card, it's not over yet.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when i first discovered this card i thought this was a joke from notthenation.com

still can't believe it even existed.

i think the saying "sucked in" comes to mind.hahaha which elite have egg on their faces now?????

I'm sure there's a deluge of satisfied and proud Elite card owners ready to correct our misguided, cynical opinions since that TV mailer went out...

A mere sprinkle - the deluge, when it comes, will be in the form of property "owners" and other fools that bought into the "Thailand Land of Investment" or "Thailand Land of Retirement" scams.

After all, anyone who brings any more to Thailand than s/he immediately needs to support their needs is indeed a fool IMHO, and this is just another little confirmation of that theory :)

Edited by hoozer

From an elegant BMW 7-series to a mere Camry. Next, a Diahatsu Mira Mimt, then a tuk-tuk.

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

News of the Future Department

June 2, 2010

over.jpg

The last 2 members of Thai Elite Card Program (and their eligible guests) enjoy a relaxing drive through the country-side on their way from Suvarnbhumi Airport to Sombat's Boutique Guesthouse on Khao San Road.

at least they extended the card to vang vieng :)

Amazing that this ridiculous program is still staggering on at all, given that four months ago the government announced that it was shutting it down ("To curb further losses, the cabinet sees it as imperative that the Elite Card programme be scrapped," deputy government spokesman Puttipong Punnakan said yesterday." [29 Jan])

Start to finish, it was pure Thaksin -- recklessly ill-conceived, hurriedly implemented, and promoted so dishonestly that anywhere else in the world it would be lawsuit fodder for decades to come.

the last guy out the door of the TEC office, don't forget to turn out the lights - .....oh, and don't forget to stuff the remaining cash in your pockets.

What's next from Thaksin's brain (...drain)? a Thai Privilege Card (TPC) - where you pay one million baht and receive a voucher for the following:

1. a newly tailored suit of clothes with silk tie.

2. a Bulova watch that looks just like the real thing.

3. a genuine fake Gucci pocketbook with monogrammed kid gloves.

With the Thai Privilege card and its accessories, you won't have to worry about being fined when pulled over (as long as you drive a late model expensive car), because the police, when they see how high class you are, will smilingly wave you on - regardless of whatever infraction they pulled you over for in the first place.

The offer is good for six months or until the next change of government, whichever comes sooner.

They should shut the whole thing down, its been a way for alot of people to milk off huge amounts of money with little benifit to Thailand.

I expect the whole thing will be shut down within a year. The current proposal to reduce benefits/costs is an expected interim step by the Elite Card executives to keep the program going a little longer and keep their well paid jobs a little longer. The program is definitely on life support and it's only a matter of time before the govt pulls the plug.

as risky as the thailand elite card was, its sad to see so many farangs excited at the misfortunes of other farangs in thailand. there arent many options for long stay (over 3 years) for people who dont want to get married and arent close to retirement, if the program collapses it will be another door shut into thailand.

"Members are granted five-year visas, which could not normally be bought even for Bt100 million or Bt200 million."

From this comment we can see a sample of the mindset behind the visa regulations.

I think you're exactly right. The arrogance and belief that Thailand is so wonderful and special that its worth millions of dollars to be able to come here for a few years.

Someone should point out that Thailand isn't the only 3rd world nation with awful traffic and pollution. Perhaps Cambodia could advertise that they're even more backward than Thailand and therefore a 5 year visa will cost BILLIONS of baht for the privilege of visiting and spending your money there.

Less Perks For Thailand Elite Card Holders

BANGKOK: - Thailand Privilege Card's board yesterday approved a sharp cut in expenditures that will affect Thailand Elite Card members' privileges.

Board chairman Thongchai Sridama, who is also deputy director-general of the Highways Department, said the cuts were necessary, because losses meant TPC's working capital could cover only this year's costs.

Initially, the annual budget will be cut from Bt541 million to Bt210 million. This will require the board to terminate the Bt77-million management and information-technology service contract signed last year by the board when it was chaired by Sorajak Kasemsuwan, as well as a Bt20-million contract leasing Toyota Alphards for executives.

The board will also slash its annual spending by at least Bt23 million, leaving the organisation Bt190 million per annum.

TPC has reduced the number of golf courses where members can use services for free from 46 to 20 and the number of available spas from 91. Limousine service for members will also be provided in Toyota Camrys rather than BMW 7 Series.

Thongchai said the board was studying further ways to cut costs, including negotiating with Thai Airways International to reduce its lounge-service fee and possibly reducing available hospitals for members and available frequencies for golf course and spas for affiliated members.

TPC has also learned many cardholders are now living in Thailand, which is against the membership criteria and pushes up the operating costs.

"We need to control all of our costs, as well as the number of new members. The more members we have, the higher our costs. Members are granted five-year visas, which could not normally be bought even for Bt100 million or Bt200 million. There have been many loopholes benefiting private partners. Without these cost cuts this year, TPC's extinction would be definite even without a Cabinet resolution to shut it down," he said.

Within the next two months, the new board will present proposals for operating TPC to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa.

One is to maintain members' benefits but transfer TPC employees to another agency, probably the TAT.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-04

well here i am again and am repetent for my last offences,,anyway i am so glad to see this vip card thing up like this in thai visa dot com.I have dearly loved the last 5 to 6 years of events pertaining to it and i pray it continues to be so entertaining and leading to truth in life.i have a big scrap book of vip card stories and clippings ill send anybody who desires.like the story of taksin buying land cheap in cambodia and then getting them soft loans from usa to build roads to it thereby incraeasing its value 5oo times,great stuff

yeah erase this ,its true tho bearded one,and you were correct last time ,sorry, and its good you are there mediating,how did i get to be advanced member ?

as risky as the thailand elite card was, its sad to see so many farangs excited at the misfortunes of other farangs in thailand. there arent many options for long stay (over 3 years) for people who dont want to get married and arent close to retirement, if the program collapses it will be another door shut into thailand.

Hee hee - yes, many guys who "understand how Thailand works" still have wives, business, property etc here.

It's just a matter of time before they discover how these assets are at best worthless, and if not, a total liability.

Bring what you need for the next few weeks. Invest nothing. This is the only way for foreigners to enjoy Thailand (with extremely few exceptions). I won't say "safely enjoy" because of course Thailand is not at all safe.

Thailand Elite is a fine example of the way Thailand does "business" with foreigners.

you can stay in thailand as long as you want as long as you obey their laws and go get a real visa,shut that door on those spoiled toes please,thailand is awsome

"Members are granted five-year visas, which could not normally be bought even for Bt100 million or Bt200 million."

From this comment we can see a sample of the mindset behind the visa regulations.

Agreed, but I would bet if someone started waving Bt 100 million is some Thai officials face, they would be getting visa privilages pretty quickly... :)

Thaksin knows best. With that kind of money, you don't just get a 5 years visa. You also get a diplomatic passport thrown in free, plus a photo opportunity with the country Prime Ministers.

Guide to business in Thailand :

1.Make a set of rules.

2.Market to people.

3.Charge a one-time fee.

4.Revoke priviledges.

5.Blame the customer.

6.Repeat.

Do you think California WOW have copied this business model?? :)

you can stay in thailand as long as you want as long as you obey their laws and go get a real visa,shut that door on those spoiled toes please,thailand is awsome

HAHAHAH LMAO - another hapless "I know how Thailand works" optimist.

ANYTHING can change at ANY TIME my friend. Why would you put your faith in "proper" visa laws any more than Thailand Elite?

You have too much faith in the system, and like anyone who thinks they "know how to work the system" in Thailand it is just a matter of time before you get a dose of Thai reality :)

Edited by hoozer

<br />
<br />you can stay in thailand as long as you want as long as you obey their laws and go get a real visa,shut that door on those spoiled toes please,thailand is awsome<br />

what legal option would you recommend?

Guide to business in Thailand :

1.Make a set of rules.

2.Market to people.

3.Charge a one-time fee.

4.Revoke priviledges.

5.Blame the customer.

6.Repeat.

Do you think California WOW have copied this business model?? :)

ha ha its all over ,welcome to earth,the sooner you get it the happier,thailand is soo instructional but its the same anywhere,but it is possible to be happy if you .....what?well i did it but what was that again???hey none of that from me anymore,yikes i almost got nationalistic,spooky

I had never heard of it until now, or I simply ignored it as being a scam.

Funny how all those bogus-sounding schemes are exactly that.

Next thing is they gonna start selling lousy wetback real estate as prime California, hi-yield derivatives.

Hoo Boy! Whats Time-Share?!

BR>Jack

Begging the question ... would 300,000,000 work :)

<br />
<br />you can stay in thailand as long as you want as long as you obey their laws and go get a real visa,shut that door on those spoiled toes please,thailand is awsome<br />

what legal option would you recommend?

go out and get a visa,or in c mai they have a place that will set you up with a biz visa after a trip to perth,it changes all the time of course since this is kali yuga but its easily doable with a bit of reseach,am i posting too often?per minute,great stuff here th vis .com

HAHAHAH LMAO - another hapless "I know how Thailand works" optimist.

ANYTHING can change at ANY TIME my friend. Why would you put your faith in "proper" visa laws any more than Thailand Elite?

You have too much faith in the system, and like anyone who thinks they "know how to work the system" in Thailand it is just a matter of time before you get a dose of Thai reality :)

hey you didnt read all my posts ,i said the same thing as you ,thats fun

They should shut the whole thing down, its been a way for alot of people to milk off huge amounts of money with little benifit to Thailand.

How about 1.5 mil per added to the coffers :)

Begging the question ... would 300,000,000 work :)

50,000 worked but you have to luck into the right guy,good luck

Amazing that this ridiculous program is still staggering on at all, given that four months ago the government announced that it was shutting it down ("To curb further losses, the cabinet sees it as imperative that the Elite Card programme be scrapped," deputy government spokesman Puttipong Punnakan said yesterday." [29 Jan])

Start to finish, it was pure Thaksin -- recklessly ill-conceived, hurriedly implemented, and promoted so dishonestly that anywhere else in the world it would be lawsuit fodder for decades to come.

Amen, brother.

BTW, anyone know what Thaksin's driving now--I mean besides himself crazy? Or where??

Hahaha.

50,000 worked but you have to luck into the right guy,good luck

For a B-visa?

I paid about a hundred bucks for mine.

Where does 50,000 come into it? Or do you mean conversion to work permit via thai company?

Even then you are playing with fire. You do know Thailand has tax on global income for residents, right? What if they decide to get like China overnight and stop you at the border for a "tax discussion" on your global income before you leave???

I maintain - anyone who believes they have the solution for safe long term existence in Thailand is deluding themselves - Thai Elite certainly wasn't it, and any other solution can change overnight. Sometimes they grandfather older visa rules, but more often than not, they don't give a hoot.

I wait with interest to see what becomes of the 5 year renewable Thailand Elite "visa for life" - which really costs Thailand next to nothing to provide. If they cancel this privilege, it is truly a mark of a race of lying thieves :)

"The more members we have, the higher our costs" really does bring home the attitude of those running it.

Isn't this why most Ponzi schemes fail?

People who buy this card are demonstrating a very strong commitment to being in thailand and having more money than sense. For these people the failure of this card is going to be a lesson in the dangers of 'investing' in thailand and lets be honest a really cheap one compared to many other's who also had to learn the hard way.

Edited by hazz