Less Perks For Thailand Elite Card Holders

Thaising

So typical of Thailand. My father had a saying 'Believe nothing that you read, even less of what you hear and little of what you see' - had he lived in this country it would have to be re-written 'Believe the opposite of what you read & hear, and almost nothing of what you see'

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RE: "The more members we have, the higher our costs."

Cut the crap...this is solely political and a move by Thailand to move towards isolationism to the west and move closer to Chinese relationship and economy.

TAT and Elite Card Board are afraid to go to digital calculators... It took them 50 years to move off of the Abacus.

There must be someone available to teach Thailand Macro Economics...because THEY ARE TOTALLY MISSING THE BIG PICTURE... as soon as President Obama is done using them to teach GM, AIG and the Banking community they can be lent to Thailand. :D

More members=more fees=more money =more cash flow traffic=more competitive buying power to negotiate better prices for benefits=more benefits-more interest and goodwill=WHICH IS JUST dam_n GOOD MARKETING and MAKES dam_n GOOD SENSE.

Or we can just do it Thai style... Invite, entice, promise the moon, take the money, change their mind, change the rules, keep our money...send us back to where we came from...NO REFUND :)

WITH A SMILE OF COURSE! :D

Edited by DMasut

From an elegant BMW 7-series to a mere Camry. Next, a Diahatsu Mira Mimt, then a tuk-tuk.

.......................BICYCYLE......................FLIP FLOPS??

NO SILLY...we get to peddle the bicycle rickshaw...while they sit back and enjoy the ride!

:)

This is another example of another half baked Thai scheme falling apart and in the process making the Country and crooks involved look foolish and untrustworthy again and again and again :D:D

It's not "Half-Baked"! IT'S FULLY COOKED!!!

It (TPC) was doomed to failure before it was even launched.

[...]

Just like all the other pipe dream projects dreamed up by the then 'head waiter' the majority of which were dismal failures.

Failure? Didn't you see the numbers? It was an amazing success, only shutting down now after the unfortunate change of government. Hundreds of millions of Baht have been drained from public coffers to private bank accounts! The fewer actual customers the better - only 1000 members, only 1000 complainants when the scheme finally collapses.

People ridicule the powers in Thailand for being idiots. Once you stop accepting the face saving facade and realize all the schemes have the same goal - enriching the powerful and maintaining power - you realize that the Thai leaders are not idiots, but geniuses. Just don't go too far like Taksin. The airport was an amazing success, the new train line is already a success and has not even opened yet. Name your haha TIT folly and if you ask around you will find people in power who benefited from it being built and others who benefit from having it fail. If you want a project to succeed, it needs to continue raking in the cash after it is completed and you have to make it worth while to the competing concession holders so it doesn't get torpedoed.

I think you nailed it. To us it's a failure, as are many things according to our "alien" perception, but the true elite in Thailand get richer and richer and their grip on power goes from strength to strength.

The rich get richer, the poor stay poor.......... and used and abused. Farangs are simply a source of income, once used, move them onto the next scam. We fall for it everytime....and like the gullible mugs we are, we keep coming back for more...and more.

Horrifying genius.

A con is a con is a con. Although it is admittedly easier on the conscious to ridicule the "perceived wealthy" as stupid.

Personally I feel sorry for anyone who is conned by any misguided form of the Thai dream, especially when the dream is officially sanctioned by the Thai government.

Not stupid but I could never understand why more of these people who

considered themselves to be " Elite " were so easily persuaded

to hand over a payment of all the money upfront when the only overheads of the

recipients was selling a piece of plastic ?

This very proposition to me starts the scam alarm bells ringing in my mind and charging an annual

subscription would have at least made it seem more convincing to me that

those behind the Company intended to be there long-term :)

Edited by midas

The airport was an amazing success, the new train line is already a success and has not even opened yet.

Feel free to explain this mystery to me :)

Lots of money got spent, so lots of profit has been made. Lots of public money transferred to the families where it belongs.

You don't think the train system is actually supposed to transport people, do you? That would really piss off the taxi concession owners at the airport. Its supposed to create lots of nice fat contracts that will go to the right companies owned by the right people. Its similar to why new condos get built when everyone knows there are no buyers (except the ignorant investors being fleeced). Same thing happens everywhere, except in the more corrupt countries it is more blatant and the profit margins higher. Selling remaindered or unusable stock at full price and still getting paid. Using cheapest building materials but charging for the good stuff. It does not matter if the website does not work, or the station got built a kilometer to the left because that is where the land your family wanted to dump was, or the building falls down, or the cheap sand washes out from under the runway - as long as it is good enough to get your final payment your done and the project has succeeded at its goal of making you richer.

I don't think many believed in golf and massages for life.

I do think many believed when it was all over and the fat lady had sung, they would still get to keep

and renew the visa, since the cost of that was virtually nil (or could be easily covered by standard

visa fee) and was more an issue of goodwill and fair play by the Thai government to

"grandfather" the visa.

I agree with you - an annual charge would have been a much better sign. Kind of like renting Vs buying (all

prospective real-estate investors in Thailand please take note- RENT!).

I guess time will tell if belief in a grandfathered visa was foolish or not, tho many, many, years of Thai

visa history does not bode well.

I don't think many believed in golf and massages for life.

I do think many believed when it was all over and the fat lady had sung, they would still get to keep

and renew the visa, since the cost of that was virtually nil (or could be easily covered by standard

visa fee) and was more an issue of goodwill and fair play by the Thai government to

"grandfather" the visa.

I agree with you - an annual charge would have been a much better sign. Kind of like renting Vs buying (all

prospective real-estate investors in Thailand please take note- RENT!).

I guess time will tell if belief in a grandfathered visa was foolish or not, tho many, many, years of Thai

visa history does not bode well.

Years ago (and I have never forgotten), a friend told me that if it has the word "membership" in it, you will lose. I have watched and his advice has always been borne out.

ears ago (and I have never forgotten), a friend told me that if it has the word "membership" in it, you will lose. I have watched and his advice has always been borne out.

Haha - sage advice. Over the long term it probably applies to Internet Message Board Membership too :)

I have not read all pages so this may already have been said - But Tourists / Ex-pats will never again trust anything that is said or launched by any Thai Politician or Government .

What message is this government trying to send - Not positive to tourists or investors .

....but the true elite in Thailand get richer and richer and their grip on power goes from strength to strength.

The rich get richer, the poor stay poor.......... and used and abused.

a bit off topic, but relates to the above observation:

A dear friend of mine, a young hill tribe lady, was stopped on her motorbike by a cop and given a Bt.400 ticket today. Her crime? not having proper ID. She was born in Thailand, as were her parents, but her birth wasn't registered properly. So, for at least the next 9 years (until her boy is 15) she can be stopped any time, any place, by any Thai authority and fined. I took her to talk to a lawyer today, and he said simply, "400 baht is not a lot of money, why don't you (the farang friend) just go ahead and pay it." I told him I would help her pay it, and it was not a big deal. My problem was my friend could continue to be victimized week after week for years. The lawyer just shrugged his shoulders and said there was nothing he could do. He recommended the girl be more careful where she rode her motorbike. That's the best advice he could offer.

How does this relate to Thai Elite card debate? I don't exactly know, but I thought to shed a smidgen of light on the people at the bottom rungs of the ladder. Meanwhile, the Elite Card execs are riding around in their limousines, playing golf, and complaining about the farang they ripped off, and whose money is feathering their nests.

The next step will be to roll out a new and improved version, the Land Of Smiles Elite (LOSE) card.

As a Land Of Smiles Elite Resident (LOSER), you will be entitled to the following benefits:

- 10-baht songtaew trips in Pattaya

- Bonus body parts with your next dream date from Jenny Star Bar

- Visa-free travel to Thailand (30 days only. Restrictions apply.)

- Discount chauffeur service in a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud or Nissan Bluebird*, exclusively from the departures level of Swampy Airport

- Condo in YOUR OWN NAME!

* Based on availability.

Edited by SiriusBlack1

They need to limit it because if too many people have it they will loose money? Of if less people buy it they will make money? Morons!

Morons they may be - but I suspect SOME of them know "loose" means not tight and "lose" means not find. Why do SO many people get this simple word WRONG?

LOL! I came back to Switzerland a couple of years ago. It is way more beautiful here. I had a guy recently here who also did the same and noticed it too. Once we have our Thai wives, can have Thai food anytime we want, Thailand quickly fades into oblivion. It is too hot there anyway.

Until your wife want to go home in about 3 years. Well, maybe then you would like to live in Thailand again. I have yet to meet a Thai woman with a housewife career path that does not want to go back to Thailand after a couple of years.

Are you kidding??? Where are you from? Out of all the Thai ladies I know in the U.S., most of them don't come back at all. Of the ones that do, I think the longest stay I know of is a little over 1 month, and that was to get a boob job and recover while she was here. Except for the few that ended up divorced and lost their green card. Those ones didn't have any choice but to come back.

The Philippines projects are answering. Found the ad on CNN. Inspirations ... A goverment tourism and foreign resident project. What a difference ...

http://www.liveyourdreams.ph/

That's a really novel website. Just move the mouse to the left hand side and enjoy!

Couldn't find much info about living there long term or property owning restrictions though.

Agreed, but I would bet if someone started waving Bt 100 million is some Thai officials face, they would be getting visa privilages pretty quickly... :)

Hmm I do not get this comment. 1 million baht bought you privileges. The problem were never visa privileges. It meant at the best that you could use a separate immigration counter and would be waved through in minutes. It is funny that they complain that most members live in Thailand. What is the complaint this time? Foreigners are too rich? Do they spend too much.

Next time they should print on one of those nice guards: Spend a lot of money, but do not stay too long...

It is funny that this government does not get it. Maybe Silpa Archa should ask his brother to return all those stolen billions of baht he put in Banharnburi... and his own construction company.

Again incompetence is the name of the game.

TPC has also learned many cardholders are now living in Thailand, which is against the membership criteria and pushes up the operating costs.

No, It was meant for people not living here as they dont know how things are managed in this fun fair-country. Only people without this knowledge will be buyers.

Its not so cool to have a camry pick you up when there should be a nice Bmw 7 series there..

I guess next year the camry's will come with taxi meter also..

LOL! I came back to Switzerland a couple of years ago. It is way more beautiful here. I had a guy recently here who also did the same and noticed it too. Once we have our Thai wives, can have Thai food anytime we want, Thailand quickly fades into oblivion. It is too hot there anyway.

Until your wife want to go home in about 3 years. Well, maybe then you would like to live in Thailand again. I have yet to meet a Thai woman with a housewife career path that does not want to go back to Thailand after a couple of years.

Are you kidding??? Where are you from? Out of all the Thai ladies I know in the U.S., most of them don't come back at all. Of the ones that do, I think the longest stay I know of is a little over 1 month, and that was to get a boob job and recover while she was here. Except for the few that ended up divorced and lost their green card. Those ones didn't have any choice but to come back.

I thought the same as you when I read his quote, but I do see many come back.

It seems to depend on where they go, and how long they stay before they have the option to return.

My observation is that after 2 years in the USA, most Thai women stay there. Less time than that, and often they return.

Other countries -- mixed... see lots come back from Australia and UK and Germany. None from Canada.