Thinking Of A Return To Your Home Land?

glasshock

Well, we have decided that for the sake of our two children’s safety, education and support we shall make a return to the UK. I shall miss Thailand for many reasons and my Wife will obviously miss her homeland. I’m a UK national and my wife spent 2 years there with me prior to our residing in Thailand so we both understand where we are going and the downsides attached to our move. It just feels that the pro’s outweigh the con’s and believe me …….we have deliberated for many months now.

Thailand has changed and is still on the move…….. and maybe into a beast that I don’t want my children to be a part of until they are old enough to make that decision for themselves.

Why the change of heart? Well, too many issues to mention. Why will I miss Thailand? Too many issues to mention.

So, anyone else feeling the same? Or is everything to your liking and as you initially expected. Do you see the changes?

Hmmmmmmm too many questions, sorry… I think you get the point!

I’m interested to in the general opinion and ……..generally bloody nosey!! :D

Thanks Guys!

:)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should bring it up. I have been thinking about it for a while and you know, at 38 years of age I am starting to think I need to do more with my life before I am put out to pasture. What, I do not know but something in me is starting to nag. For example we Brits complain about the state of our country but do sod all about it apart from run away.Thailand to me now is still a wonderful place to be but increasingly limited futurewise for the likes of myself.

I have been living in Thailand for over eight years, and I'm raising a family here. I am 39 years old. I love my home country, and enjoy visits there with my family, and could easily move back if the mood struck me. I belong to a recession-proof profession and work is always available in my home country. Still, I'm happy here and have no plans to move. That is not to say that I never will. You never know where life will take you and that's the greatest thing about it.

Return for the sake of your childrens saftey and education,sorry but are you mad? we left because of the terrible education system and all of the violence problems for children ,like police on the school gates ,and we lived in a decent area.

since coming here our boys educational standard has rocketed and at night we are not worried when he is out with friends.

think again,its dire over there ,i know i have to go back regularaly .

Edited by thaimate

I wouldn't go back to the UK even if I got kicked out of Thailand. What's there to go back for ? 53 years was enough for me.

What about the fact it is your home?Why should you have to leave because the dog and pony show that calls itself the Government has year after year stifled your sense of being a freeborn Briton in your own home? Why are so many of us alienated? Why should we be?

Never had "never to return mind". Left around 10 years ago for a one year contract and still at it. Promised myself that will go back home once i become fed up what ever place i end up. Not happened yet but i guess some day i find myself realizing i've had enough.

Hope it happens before i joint the whiners here on tv :)

What about a different city within Thailand?

It's about the children; I would not even consider putting my son through the Thai education system. Early years ok but not beyond the age of say 9.

To be honest, I think it is extremely selfish for a Farang to forego their child’s educational welfare in favour of their Thai obsessions :)

presumably those who lived in UK all their adult lives & moved to LOS in later life thought it good enough for those years, just as I at 34 years old, think it is the best place for my young family at the moment. :)

As for the crime, emm in my 34 years I haven't so much as had my car broken into & I live in South East London & grew up in one of the poorest areas of that area. Yeah crime happens but it also happens in thailand too. Neither place is perfect IMO but you do what suits you & your family at the time.

It's about the children; I would not even consider putting my son through the Thai education system. Early years ok but not beyond the age of say 9.

To be honest, I think it is extremely selfish for a Farang to forego their child’s educational welfare in favour of their Thai obsessions :)

I think that it is extremely ignorant to think that western parents decide to stay in Thailand because of any 'Thai obsession'.

presumably those who lived in UK all their adult lives & moved to LOS in later life thought it good enough for those years, just as I at 34 years old, think it is the best place for my young family at the moment. :)

As for the crime, emm in my 34 years I haven't so much as had my car broken into & I live in South East London & grew up in one of the poorest areas of that area. Yeah crime happens but it also happens in thailand too. Neither place is perfect IMO but you do what suits you & your family at the time.

Well said Boo :D

50 years in th UK is enough for anybody.Hope i have 50 years here,so another 44 left lol.I live in Pattaya and things do change for the good and the bad,the same as in UK.One day i will get fed up of Pattaya and move to somewhere quieter,but at the moment i have so many good friends living here and visiting long term,my phone is always busy.

Well, we have decided that for the sake of our two children’s safety, education and support we shall make a return to the UK. I shall miss Thailand for many reasons and my Wife will obviously miss her homeland. I’m a UK national and my wife spent 2 years there with me prior to our residing in Thailand so we both understand where we are going and the downsides attached to our move. It just feels that the pro’s outweigh the con’s and believe me …….we have deliberated for many months now.

Thailand has changed and is still on the move…….. and maybe into a beast that I don’t want my children to be a part of until they are old enough to make that decision for themselves.

Why the change of heart? Well, too many issues to mention. Why will I miss Thailand? Too many issues to mention.

So, anyone else feeling the same? Or is everything to your liking and as you initially expected. Do you see the changes?

Thanks Guys!

You are sure seeking a lot of sympathy for a guy who is too lazy to make your case.

I think that it is extremely ignorant to think that western parents decide to stay in Thailand because of any 'Thai obsession'.

What about the children's welfare garro?

Do they come into the equation?

What could possibly come before that?

To put your child through a third world education system.

What else could it be?

Is that "ignorant" thinking garro?

May I ask how long have you lived here Boo? I come from s/e London and still have family back there

What about the fact it is your home?Why should you have to leave because the dog and pony show that calls itself the Government has year after year stifled your sense of being a freeborn Briton in your own home? Why are so many of us alienated? Why should we be?
I didn't ask to be born in the UK it just happens to be my place of birth, nothing more. I served in the forces and what did the UK give me for that ? Basically nothing other than the knowledge I'd wasted 12 years. No sorry the UK is not a place I would return to. But that doesn't mean I'd put the OP off of going there, his choice good luck.

What about the children's welfare garro?

Do they come into the equation?

What could possibly come before that?

To put your child through a third world education system.

What else could it be?

Is that "ignorant" thinking garro?

Plenty of bright and innovative children have and are going through a 'third world education system'.

I would not pretend to know how to raise your children so please avoid thinking that you know what is best for mine or anybody else's.

Grabangkok, I've lived in SE London (Borough,Crystal Palace, then Bromley) my whole life, apart from 10 years travelling & living in Thailand in my 20's. We moved back here (me & Thai husband) 5 years ago & it has worked out exactly as we planned it to. :)

I didn't ask to be born in the UK it just happens to be my place of birth, nothing more. I served in the forces and what did the UK give me for that ? Basically nothing other than the knowledge I'd wasted 12 years. No sorry the UK is not a place I would return to. But that doesn't mean I'd put the OP off of going there, his choice good luck.

I see your point coventry, but why give in to the snollygosters? YOU served, YOU paid your taxes, YOU deserve a slice of the cake too. I am advocating no political affiliation apart from the likes of us.

Britons, ask yourself this - Why does the filthiest murderer in Thailand rotting in jail still feel part of Thail way of life while the honest Brit feel so disennfranchised from his own people and society?

Grabangkok, I've lived in SE London (Borough,Crystal Palace, then Bromley) my whole life, apart from 10 years travelling & living in Thailand in my 20's. We moved back here (me & Thai husband) 5 years ago & it has worked out exactly as we planned it to. :)

Boo, I don't say this to put the OP off going back and not ALL of the UK is the same BUT things are changing back there mate

My eldest Daughter's (now 31) last two boyfriends were shot the first one outside Bexleyheath police station, (not a poor area) he ended up in a wheel chair. There are plenty off no-go areas for white kids and a very lot of knife crime

The second was shot in the face and died, she now lives in Sweden and is very happy

Not saying I will never return co's I now have a four year old daughter here and it has to be whats best for her

Good luck to the OP wherever you decide mate

:D

Return for the sake of your childrens saftey and education,sorry but are you mad? we left because of the terrible education system and all of the violence problems for children ,like police on the school gates ,and we lived in a decent area.

since coming here our boys educational standard has rocketed and at night we are not worried when he is out with friends.

think again,its dire over there ,i know i have to go back regularaly .

Is it really safer for your children in Thailand? You don't worry about them zipping around on their friends scooter four up? You don't worry about the electrical cables hanging everywhere? You don't mind that its not safe for them to ride their bicycles anywhere? You really think there are more guns in UK? Have you not noticed that its barely safe for them to negotiate the pavements in Thailand? You don't worry that the nutter driving the school bus from the international school won't turn it over one day? You don't worry that one day they might have an accident whilst you're not there and have to rely on a couple of Thais in a pick up 'rescue' vehicle to take them to a third world hospital?

I think it is delusional to think that Thailand is safer than the UK for children or adults. You say that there are police at the school gates in the UK. In Thailand that would be a huge improvement, where not even the teachers give a da*n when the pupils ride four to a scooter out the gate in the wrong direction and get wiped out. In Thailand the only reason the police might be at the gates would be to collect tea money from the kids. :)

That's a funny coincidence Grabangkok, my sister is in the MET based out of Bexleyheath & sidcup so I know some stories from that area :) & me & the Mr & are looking at possibly moving to Sweden sometime in the future or at least spending a few months each year . We love it over there & have quite a few good mates from there. :D

Thanks Guys!

You are sure seeking a lot of sympathy for a guy who is too lazy to make your case.

Ha Ha......Seeking sympathy and lazy ....have you actually read my post or do you just "click and pick a fight" Someone mentioned previously about the moaners and groaners on this site. I assume they also meant those who wish to brighten up their days by turning a perfectly innocent and respectable post into a battleground. I am curious as to people’s views of Thailand recently and as to their thoughts for their future. Your post isn’t worth the response I’ve just given.

That's a funny coincidence Grabangkok, my sister is in the MET based out of Bexleyheath & sidcup so I know some stories from that area :) & me & the Mr & are looking at possibly moving to Sweden sometime in the future or at least spending a few months each year . We love it over there & have quite a few good mates from there. :D

Small World mate, never been there myself,

Sure your sister could fill you in on the missing bits then, big news back there big funeral...... :D