Thinking Of A Return To Your Home Land?

glasshock

The best way is to plan out carefully so that you can have enough money to live in both places…….so you can have the best of both worlds, just a plane ride away.

There are many of us here who are enjoying the above privilege from the years of careful planning, ahead of time. :)

Edited by teacup

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. It is more than being surrounded by a nice house and a good school. What about when they have to venture out into the real Thailand, with its corruption, its lack or rules or regulation, its forbidden subjects, its nonsensical myth obsessions, its litter strewn streets, its sex for sale, its face saving lies, its money worship, and countless other flaws that contribute to its maintaining its status as a near banana republic.

If, as you say, I had the money, I would live in the UK and send my kids to a top notch British school there, and maybe visit Thailand to escape the dismal British weather.

But then I ask, is the weather really such a pulling factor for Thailand? For around 8 months of the year its so hot and humid that folk try to get into the comfort of an AC environment, in much the same way we escape the cold in the UK. Then if you are lucky in Thailand we have a month of cool weather when we can comfortably sit outdoors, a lot like the UK.

What exactly are the other factors that make folk want to stay here and put their kids though school here?

Well i do not feel thailand is as you describe above. Sure it all happens here as it happens also in western countries. I just deal with it and do not take my kid to Nana or Cowboy even in day time etc. I'm not saying above issues are not existing in Thailand but i doubt many children are exposed to them here. Certainly mine is not.

This also has something to do with ones values, western world nowdays is extremely intolerant against other cultures. I mean Asia/Thailand is not Europe/UK, so i do not consider it evil and try to prevent my kid learning thai culture and ways. Even if there is corruption etc you mentioned above included. Just the opposite, try courage them to explore both cultures and pick the best from each one, leave the bad ways behind, and take it from there. My kids are and will always be half thai so if i had the money i would stay here and send them to Uni outside. That way they would get the best from both sides.

Top notch schools in UK no thanks, would not want my kids to go thru the good old boarding school system in UK. I mean there is risk as well sending your 10 year old to get <deleted>*#d by the teatchers. And talk about money worship there good old boys :) So sending your kid away to study is not for me until they have reached say 18 to 20 years of age. Anyways if it's not going to be Thailand then most likely i will head to scandinavia where public schools offer same or better level of education than UK private ones.

But as i said it's a personal preference and everyone should do as they feel it is best for their children.

Well, we have decided that for the sake of .....Well, too many issues to mention. Why will I miss Thailand? Too many issues to mention.

So, anyone else feeling the same? Or is everything to your liking and as you initially expected. Do you see the changes?

Hmmmmmmm too many questions, sorry… I think you get the point!

I’m interested to in the general opinion and ……..generally bloody nosey!! :D

Thanks Guys!

:)

You are sure seeking a lot of sympathy for a guy who is too lazy to make your case.

Ha Ha......Seeking sympathy and lazy ....have you actually read my post or do you just "click and pick a fight" Someone mentioned previously about the moaners and groaners on this site. I assume they also meant those who wish to brighten up their days by turning a perfectly innocent and respectable post into a battleground. I am curious as to people’s views of Thailand recently and as to their thoughts for their future. Your post isn’t worth the response I’ve just given.

Overreaction. My point is that you are soliciting thoughtful answers but offer no discussion of substance about your concerns or your situation in either place, so any answer you get is going to be the usual vacuous generalization about Thailand pro or con that makes much of the advice on this site of little use. Moreover it reflects the common Brit habit of thinking (speaking of moaning and groaning) that institutions (esp government) and environment are the principle determinants of human success.

What about the fact it is your home?Why should you have to leave because the dog and pony show that calls itself the Government has year after year stifled your sense of being a freeborn Briton in your own home? Why are so many of us alienated? Why should we be?
I didn't ask to be born in the UK it just happens to be my place of birth, nothing more. I served in the forces and what did the UK give me for that ? Basically nothing other than the knowledge I'd wasted 12 years. No sorry the UK is not a place I would return to. But that doesn't mean I'd put the OP off of going there, his choice good luck.

Me too. 9 years in the forces but very little recognition for my efforts bar a mediocre salary. I go out when the UK tanked in 1992 and have only been back twice for short trips. Indeed, the second wouldn't have been made had it not been for a free ticket with BA.

My bro returned to the UK after 22 years of life in Tokyo pretty much for the same reasons as the OP - kids education and he was sick to death of jumping through all the hoops required in life as an expat - always being on the back foot in any kind of transaction between Japanese and himself. As he studied Japanese to a highly advanced level and passed all of the exams he managed to open a door with a Jap company and has really done well (no competition on the language front and he's pretty switched-on).

Me, I'm staying put as the first 30 years of life in UK were enough for me. I may think about NZ or Aus or even Central America before I ever even consider the UK. Just keep on and brush off the rascism.

good luck