Uk Embassy - Photo Booth

Is there a photo booth near the UK Embassy and if so will my GF have the opportunity to use it if her photos are incorrect size?

She has has them done and seems to think that they are fine but I have my doubts.

Also she plans to get the bankers draft at the bank near the Embassy as well, is that ok?

She will not be making her application at the embassy. That is now handled by a contractor called VFS.

See this website for info. http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/

From reports I have read there is a bank on the ground floor of the building where VFS is lcoated where she can get the draft.

There are also places where she can photos done in the same area.

From Visa Application Fees

Fees are payable by bankers draft or cashiers as follows:

In Bangkok

- A 'Cashiers Cheque' or 'Bankers Draft' from any bank.

Outside Bangkok

- A 'Bankers draft' from any Bank in Thailand

Surcharge free option

- A 'Cashiers Cheque' from any of the 25 select branches of Bank of Ayudhya that offers the free surcharge option

All 'Cashiers Cheque' or 'Bankers draft' should be made payable to the ' British Embassy Bangkok'.

She will not be making her application at the embassy. That is now handled by a contractor called VFS.

See this website for info. http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/

From reports I have read there is a bank on the ground floor of the building where VFS is lcoated where she can get the draft.

There are also places where she can photos done in the same area.

Interesting, the front page of this vfs site says:

Latest News:

02 June 2009: Delay in application process Please note that due to a surge in applications non-settlement applications are now taking between 4-6 weeks to process and settlement applications 12 weeks. Applications already submitted are being cleared on the basis of date due to travel. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by these delays

03 June 2009: Customer satisfaction survey. We would like to hear your views on the visa application process. This online survey will give us valuable information on how you found the visa application process and areas for improvement. The survey will take less than 5 minutes to complete and your answers and comments are confidential. It will not affect the outcome of your visa application in any way. Thank you for taking part

Seems like they are incapable of doing the job.

I bet they read the survey!!! :)

Also the VFS site has the web-page heading British Embassy

If VFS is a "contractor" I would think that it is illegal to pretend to be the "British Embassy".

Seems to be a low quality organisation, bit like a Fake Rolex.

Seems to me that you have a personal grudge against VFS!

How does an unusually large increase in applications and associated increase in processing times indicate that the VAC are incapable of doing the job? All they do is collect the applications and forward them to the visa section at the embassy! It is the ECOs at the embassy that process the applications, so any complaints about the length of time it takes should be directed at them.

The VAC website's home page is clearly headed "Welcome to the website of the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok, Thailand." So how anyone can be confused into thinking that they are masquerading as the embassy is beyond me.

I think the heading "davee58" is referring to is the tab heading on IE, which defaults to British Embassy (at least it does on my pc) when you are on the VFS website, not sure how these tab headings are generated, whilst probably not by VFS it can be a tad confusing.

I know you and I have disagreed on this point for, but hopefully not fallen out, but I think the dramatic increase in processing times is a scandal, I honestly believe that people should expect that applications will be processed in a timely and consistent manner. You have indicated before that staffing levels are set in the UK, that is not the case, they are actually set locally. The Bangkok post of UK Visas being one one the few that are self sufficient and rely totally on the visa fees, they do not receive extra funding from central government. It will be interesting to see the total number of applications received when the current figures are published for the same period over the last few years, I will be happy to be proved wrong.

For the avoidance of doubt I have no problem with VFS or UK Visas in Bangkok.

Edited for typo

Edited by theoldgit

I think it was in April that the Embassy was advertising to recruit 2 new ECO's. One position available straight away, the second position available in June. Salary offered was approximately 61000 baht per month based on relevant experience. The applicants had to have passed the ECO course in the UK.