New Comer

HusseinHussein

Hello All,

first of all, I don't know if this is the right place to write this thread, but I just feel its related to the city I am visiting.

My name is Hussein, I am student exchange, I will be coming for the whole summer and I just need some tips

I don't know what kind of cloth should I be brining, what about food, shopping, traveling, and the most important Health issues

I don't even know if i should be shaving my head bold just to avoid going to the barber shop, I just don't know what to expect

can some one give me any guidance

I will be going to RMUTL, any comment about it also??

thanks alot :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - and welcome to ThaiVisa :D

A Thai friend of mine has studied at RMUTL (Rachamanka University) so I thought I can help you with some of what's on your mind. The university has four campus locations, but international students are usually based at the Huay Kaew Road campus - on the northwest side of the city. The northern end of the huge Chiang Mai University (CMU) campus is just across the road - and just down the road from RMUTL/CMU are many local places (eating, shops etc) that are full of students from both universities. The point is that you'll find it easy to meet many people your own age there - including many international/exchange students. I'm sure that after just a few days you'll know your way around quite well.

Most students (and most Thai who don't work in an office) just wear jeans, T-shirt and sandals. If you're coming now, it's the start of the rainy season - some heavy showers but they usually don't last long. Can be cloudy a lot of the time - which keeps it cooler (but still not lower than 25C at night and usually about 30-32C in the daytime) - so you won't be wearing a sweater here!

Up to you about the haircut - but usually only monks (and some older foreigners :) ) are bald or shave their head. I suggest you just get your hair cut the way you like it before you arrive - and make up your mind about the next haircut after you've been here a month. Apart from the many local shops, there are department stores and shopping malls (e.g. Central/Kad Suan Kaew at the city end of Huay Kaew Road) - so just bring the minimum that you need for yourself; anything else is easy to find.

For transport, most Thai students use a small motorbike or the cheap "songthaew" (pronounced "songtao") mini-bus to get around - many of these dark red vehicles just about everywhere. Chiang Mai has many international-standard hospitals (people actually come here from overseas for treatment) and many small clinics for minor problems. Don't worry about being looked after if you need treatment - but you should perhaps be thinking about insurance (I thought RMUTL would tell you about that?).

Probably a good idea to use Google to find some websites as a guide/introduction to Chiang Mai (maybe some other ThaiVisa members can post their recommended links for you to look at). As a start, you might like to look at a site which shows you both the map and continuous photographs of what you'll see - good fun to play with:

http://www.mapjack.com/?wRZyU2aeacLG7CoA

There's also a new guide site that many people like: http://www.thailand-travel-help.com/chiang-mai-thailand.html - but there are many others you can find with Google (even if a lot of them are aimed at tourists). Probably worth looking at/buying a recent copy of the "Lonely Planet" guide to Thailand - read the general introduction to Thailand and the chapter on Chiang Mai. You might want to get yourself a phrasebook (not sure what your native language is or where you're from - but there are many English-Thai examples to choose from in the bookshops here).

Chiang Mai is small enough to be an easy-going and easy-to-use place - and big enough to offer plenty to do and enjoy; I'm fairly sure you'll love it here. I hope that what I have said helps to give you a better idea of what to expect.

Edited by Steve2UK

I think it's fairly evident from our newcomer's post that he probably hasn't done that much travelling - at least not enough for him to apply to coming here; after all, that's not so unusual for exchange students - it's part of why they're doing the exchange in the first place. Rather than offering more (IMO) criticisms on that score, perhaps our knowledgeable members could suggest some useful websites that would inform him - and not just about sightseeing, hotels etc. Presumably many of us have had visitors and suggested a website or two to them that provide a useful advance look at what makes Chiang Mai what it is?

Looking through what's pinned here, I didn't see much that was useful in that respect. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to identify and collate more sites for other first-time visitors' use.

This guy sought out and found ThaiVisa - and asked for help. Maybe the questions are rather basic, but then maybe people could take a moment to just try and put themselves in his position? And, yes, "Don't worry so much" is good advice.

First of all, I really happy that responded to me, I already feel welcomed in Thailand before I arrieve :)

just to fill some info that I didn't mention, I am en Egyptian which mean my basic language is arabic but I can my way with english.

anyway, I will be arriving in the mid of June leaving in the mid of september.

I just got Thailand travel book (as recommended by you guys :D), and read the Chiang Mai section, its great but it doesn't provide comprehensive information (atleast for me :D) I wanna know more about the life in Chiang Mai

Steve: I would follow your advice with the haircut.

I am heading for Rajamangala University of Lanna. I don't know if it's the same as: RachaManka, maybe thats its common name.

I have traveled to the US before and spent there almost 15 month, but I was staying with some relatives not like this time, I will be all alone in a new country :D, it has always been my dream to see the world, and I am very happy that I am going to Thailand.

concerning the food , I don't eat any pork, would that be a problem that I would face if I decided to have some Thai food

I have googled alot about Thailand, and i always read that Thai people and very friendly, so I am not worried about that :D

I know my questions would seem lame to some people, but I think you would do the same if you are travelling to a new country and don't know what to expect :D, and I would surely "stop worrying :D "

Wikitravel is about the best, no mess travel site nowadays that covers the basics well with no superfluous tripe - Wikitravel Chiang Mai

For life in Chiang Mai, suggest you go through this forum searching for specifics you're interested in with the forum search (top right) or Google forum search (top left).

Lastly, I wouldn't be too apprehensive as this place is really easy-going and has all mod cons :)

First of all, I really happy that responded to me, I already feel welcomed in Thailand before I arrieve :D

just to fill some info that I didn't mention, I am en Egyptian which mean my basic language is arabic but I can my way with english.

anyway, I will be arriving in the mid of June leaving in the mid of september.

I just got Thailand travel book (as recommended by you guys :D ), and read the Chiang Mai section, its great but it doesn't provide comprehensive information (atleast for me :D ) I wanna know more about the life in Chiang Mai

Steve: I would follow your advice with the haircut.

I am heading for Rajamangala University of Lanna. I don't know if it's the same as: RachaManka, maybe thats its common name.

I have traveled to the US before and spent there almost 15 month, but I was staying with some relatives not like this time, I will be all alone in a new country :P , it has always been my dream to see the world, and I am very happy that I am going to Thailand.

concerning the food , I don't eat any pork, would that be a problem that I would face if I decided to have some Thai food

I have googled alot about Thailand, and i always read that Thai people and very friendly, so I am not worried about that :D

I know my questions would seem lame to some people, but I think you would do the same if you are travelling to a new country and don't know what to expect :D , and I would surely "stop worrying :P "

Hussein - sorry...... I mis-typed the name of the university (your version is correct) but we're talking about the same place.

Shouldn't be any problem to avoid pork (the Thai word for it is "moo"). Most stir-fried rice/noodle dishes give you a choice of pork, chicken, seafood and sometimes beef - or just vegetarian. You certainly won't be the only Muslim (Thai or visitor) in Chiang Mai - and, by the way, there is at least one mosque in the city. I certainly recommend that you explore Thai food - very cheap, very tasty and very healthy. There are also some "mediterranean" places around for falafel etc when you feel like it - won't be as good as back home, but OK. If you spent 15 months in the US, you might even feel like the occasional pizza or burger - and you'll find endless amounts of information/opinion on where to go for those on this forum....... :D

Good advice from jackr - type in a search word for what interests you (minimum 4-letter length now on the forum search, I think) and you'll find a lot............ even if you have to make your way through all those food discussions in the process....... :D

@ jackr - thanks also from me for the link to the Wikitravel CM site.......... hadn't seen it before - very useful :)

Edited by Steve2UK

Hello All,

first of all, I don't know if this is the right place to write this thread, but I just feel its related to the city I am visiting.

My name is Hussein, I am student exchange, I will be coming for the whole summer and I just need some tips

I don't know what kind of cloth should I be brining, what about food, shopping, traveling, and the most important Health issues

I don't even know if i should be shaving my head bold just to avoid going to the barber shop, I just don't know what to expect

guidance??health issues ?? use a condom ...

they sell them here in the 7/11 's on each and every corner...

also two major malls with many barber shops ...

as far as garbs ....be cool.

Just a quick note on the pork thing. It's very easy to sample & enjoy a wide variety of Thai food without eating pork. And Thai cooks are usually understanding and happy to respect your dietary needs. On the other hand, Thais love pork & often add it as a default ingredient in dishes you might not think call for pork. The standard Thai omelette, for example, usually has pork unless you specifically ask for them not to add it. In my early days in Chiang Mai I was surprised at how many times I'd order vegetable fried rice or fried mixed vegetables, only to find that pork was included. Of course if you're ordering chicken or fish, pork won't be added. But for more vegetable oriented dishes, be sure to say 'mai sai moo' (don't add pork).

Also, I know there are several halal restaurants around Anusarn Market by the Night Bazaar. I'm sure there are others in town too.

Just a quick note on the pork thing. It's very easy to sample & enjoy a wide variety of Thai food without eating pork. And Thai cooks are usually understanding and happy to respect your dietary needs. On the other hand, Thais love pork & often add it as a default ingredient in dishes you might not think call for pork. The standard Thai omelette, for example, usually has pork unless you specifically ask for them not to add it. In my early days in Chiang Mai I was surprised at how many times I'd order vegetable fried rice or fried mixed vegetables, only to find that pork was included. Of course if you're ordering chicken or fish, pork won't be added. But for more vegetable oriented dishes, be sure to say 'mai sai moo' (don't add pork).

Also, I know there are several halal restaurants around Anusarn Market by the Night Bazaar. I'm sure there are others in town too.

on a serious note ,it is almost impossible to eat Thai food without some pork of some nature in it sooner than later.

the soups and the food. If pork is not in your diet for whatever reason make it easy on yourself do not eat Thai food period unless it is cook before your watchful eyes.this is the best sure way. Do not attempt any of the food stalls,,, they use pig bones for stock in about everything.

somehow pork sneaks into almost everything tha food wise (almost).... i try not to munchy munch on pig but over the decades here i know good and well it is impossible to do if you enjoy Thai food to any degree. many time you tell them no pork but to Thai's a little bit of pork does not count.

Edited by gatorhead333

I was expecting something like the omelette mixed with pork

but I think " mai sai moo " would be quiet a help for me :D

now I wont worry about food

but what are the most famous dishes to order and try???

is there a traditional meal ?

@Gatorhead333: I am not talking about that kind of health protection, I meant other areas of health, like hospitals if I got sick for any reason :)

I was expecting something like the omelette mixed with pork

but I think " mai sai moo " would be quiet a help for me :D

now I wont worry about food

but what are the most famous dishes to order and try???

is there a traditional meal ?

@Gatorhead333: I am not talking about that kind of health protection, I meant other areas of health, like hospitals if I got sick for any reason :)

my friend , i am always joking.. i know your concerns are not of that nature.

I think what Gator means is, they won't add any pork if you specify "mai sai moo", but they might not bother to tell you that pork was used to cook the stock. :)

exactly! the thai people basic thai people can not grasp the no pork request in ther minds if you can not see it it is not there.

piggy wiggy is the main deal here where food is concerned. You are coming from a no pork zone to the biggest pig fest on planet earth . I have a very good friend that comes here from Qatar he figured this out pretty quick .

No pork means there is no fried pork meat in your fried rice but it does not mean that pork fat has not been used to fry the chicken. Soup might have pork bones used in the stock. They most likely fry your chicken in same pan they just finished fried pork dish to someone else.

So it depends how seriously you take it. If you do not want any of it then your choice is limited to halal restaurants only. At least as long as you learn or find out good restaurant that prepares your thai food halal.

No pork means there is no fried pork meat in your fried rice but it does not mean that pork fat has not been used to fry the chicken. Soup might have pork bones used in the stock. They most likely fry your chicken in same pan they just finished fried pork dish to someone else.

So it depends how seriously you take it. If you do not want any of it then your choice is limited to halal restaurants only. At least as long as you learn or find out good restaurant that prepares your thai food halal.

right on!

that is it in a nutshell or a pig belly i guess...

my good friend from Qatar is devote Muslim and figured this out quick here.

he found a restaurant that he ate at every day called Chez Marcos .here they have fish dishes and he felt safe.plus he could talk to the chef who is the owner. he compared Chez Marcos restaurant to the finest Qatar restaurants but at 1/10 the cost and tastier! My qatar friend is very concerned about Halal prep food.

Edited by gatorhead333

If you do not want any of it then your choice is limited to halal restaurants only.

I beg to differ.

Hussein, explore the various markets, the narrow sois (a soi is a very small street), you'll find some delicious grilled fish/chicken/beef/veel (if you're lucky)/squid, etc. With a little bit of sticky rice and steamed vegetables, you have an excellent meal.

Seafood restaurants are safe (as long as they don't do pork)

At some stalls, they sell only specialties that don't contain pork ("Hoy Tawt" - spelling??? - for example)

Edited by MonsieurHulot

Scan your travel documents - passport (visa page), etc - and email them to yourself.

Travel insurance.

Go to a taxi desk in Arrivals (either side of Baggage) and get a slip for a taxi meter to town - 120 baht ish.

Pick up an umbrella if staying anytime between now and October.

Bring a mobile, get it unlocked, and buy a pay-as-you-go SIM.

Ask for your food 'suk-suk' if you like it well cooked.

Don't take your wallet out in public, always have some notes in shirt pocket to pay for daily stuff/beer.

Nimmanhemin Road for student nightlife.

Emergency help - 191.

Tourist Police - 1155.

Directory enquiries - 1113.

Pizza Company 1112.

Good advice from jackr - type in a search word for what interests you (minimum 4-letter length now on the forum search, I think) and you'll find a lot............ even if you have to make your way through all those food discussions in the process....... :D

@ jackr - thanks also from me for the link to the Wikitravel CM site.......... hadn't seen it before - very useful :)

No worries, Steve. Most world destinations are now covered by Wikitravel (search bar in nav top left), or just bung it in a general search after the city/country name - like 'london wikitravel'.

With TV search, if you are searching for stuff with fewer than the three or four letters, the Google search facility (top left under TV logo) is a lot more flexible :D

Hi.

I've always found travelfish helpful.

http://www.travelfish.org/eatandmeet/thail.../chiang_mai/eat

Tuskers(link at the top of the forum page) is a great place,too.Order your drink,Chas,the owner, will come talk to you,and you'll be able to explain your food preferences to him.He'll probably oversee the cooking himself,as he always goes the extra mile :)

Edited by stevemcqueen

I beg to differ.

Hussein, explore the various markets, the narrow sois (a soi is a very small street), you'll find some delicious grilled fish/chicken/beef/veel (if you're lucky)/squid, etc. With a little bit of sticky rice and steamed vegetables, you have an excellent meal.

Seafood restaurants are safe (as long as they don't do pork)

At some stalls, they sell only specialties that don't contain pork ("Hoy Tawt" - spelling??? - for example)

I agree. Also don't forget that Chiang Mai is full of vegetarian restaurants, some of which have really tasty food.

My ex landlord is a muslim Thai/Chinese and fluent in English, Arabic, Thai and Mandarin - he is also a really nice guy and runs a small steak restaurant with guaranteed halal meat. If you want to contact him, just send me a PM.

As a student, you might be on a budget so you should know that places like Tuskers and Chez Marco, while excellent eating venues with great service, can be much, much more expensive than regular Thai food places.

The warning about pork turning up in unexpected places is too be noted, but don't worry too much because there are many chicken-only and squid-only only stalls. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere there are some 30,000 muslims in Chiangmai. A visit to the local mosque, apart from spiritual sustenance if you're so inclined, will provide you the best places to find pork-free food. The Thai word for mosque, or masjid, is: ma-sa-yid and there are probably several in CM, but I've only passed one.

While most locals here are very friendly and try to be helpful, english language skill is much lacking so learning a little Thai in advance will be extremely fruitful. Here's a good place to start learning a few useful phrases: http://www.thai-language.com/ click on 'categories' and choose situations you're likely to be in.

Hope you get the best out of your trip.

Addresses mosques in Chiang Mai:

http://www.chiangmainews.com/indepth/details.php?id=1571

Mosques in Chiang Mai

Muslim Association

276 Charoenprathet Road, T Changklan, A Muang, Chiang Mai 50100.

Baan Haw Mosque 274951

58 Chang Khlan Rd.,

T. Chang Khlan,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Chang Khlan Mosque 273385

Charoen Prathet Rd. Soi 13,

T. Chang Khlan,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100 Fax: 273385

Chang Phuak Mosques 211723

19 Maninopharat Rd. Soi 1,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50300

San Pa Khoi Mosque 247667

31/1 Na-Wat Ket Rd. Soi 1,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

Halal food in Chiang Mai: http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=65593 and reviews of the restaurants: http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?page=6

Edited by Nienke

Hello All,

It`s you again.

Are you not bored of subscribing on ThaiVisa so many times?

Aving a laugh, aint cha.

Tuskers(link at the top of the forum page) is a great place,too.Order your drink,Chas,the owner, will come talk to you,and you'll be able to explain your food preferences to him.He'll probably oversee the cooking himself,as he always goes the extra mile :D

Yep, he's good at escaping to the kichen when it's his round. :)